+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Wikia Search

Otaku Kairu is off to a good start Kairu's Avatar
    Thanks

New Wikia Search

I just got done seeing this on "Attack of the Show's" The Feed segment on G4 if anyone else watches that channel here. Supposedly it is a new search engine that seems to generate some high hopes for me. It is up and running now, but it is fairly new and I would imagine it has a lot of kinks to work out. From what I have seen it works pretty nicely.
    This is not a thread to help me out on using a search engine lol. Just more less discuss the idea of a new search engine. Your comments and experiences on it also.
    Here is the link to it:

Search Wikia - Search

It seems to also have a small Social Networking thing going as well. Where if you were to search "Anime" it would show you others who have chosen to be listed as Anime being an interest. Something along those lines anyway.
    This can be considered a good or bad thing really if you look at it, but a neat little feature.

Last edited by aceman67; Jan 14, 2008 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Just correcting the show title...

Newbie Navy Cherub is off to a good start Navy Cherub's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: New Wikia Search

Aside from the small social networking feature, what makes it different from, say, Ask? It doesn't seem too special to me, unless they make it into a small MySpace.

Otaku Kairu is off to a good start Kairu's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Cherub View Post
    Aside from the small social networking feature, what makes it different from, say, Ask? It doesn't seem too special to me, unless they make it into a small MySpace.
    Yes, I see your point. Taking a quick little comparison between a Google search and a Wikia search, you may notice a difference in sites found. The reason is this, Wikia instead of showing the most popular sites first it shows a few other less popular sites. Sites that would normally place on the 38th page of a Google search, thus giving smaller sites more hits and letting us the users see different sites.
    In fact through so random searching I found around 5 or so sites that I found enjoyable and bookmarked. This is not such I big deal I realize, but a good step in internet searching in my opinion.

Newbie Navy Cherub is off to a good start Navy Cherub's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kairu View Post
    This is not such I big deal I realize, but a good step in internet searching in my opinion.

I can agree with that, search engines should give smaller websites more room to be seen.

+ Reply to Thread