Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old hardrive new external drive

Dragonrider Ichigo_06 is off to a good start Ichigo_06's Avatar
    Thanks

Old hardrive new external drive

Hey I have recently put in my 80 GB harddrive into an external case and I am having trouble getting it to recognize on any of the computers I have tried, does anyone have some tips for m? The case belongs to my friend, but never uses it becuase he thought it was broke, however it does work or esle it wouldn not say "new usb found" "failure to install drivers" Any help would be widely appreciated.
    ナサン フォオツド
    Keep what you hold dear close for one day they may be gone forever!
    Make one person smile for it will continue to spread but if you make a frown that will spread as well.http://www.animeonline.net/gallery/s...0/ppuser/57173

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Old hardrive new external drive

How old is that case?? I don't think any external cases are not plug and play...

And have you put the jumper on Slave for the drive you put into the external case?? And finally do you even hear the harddrive spin up.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    How old is that case?? I don't think any external cases are not plug and play...

And have you put the jumper on Slave for the drive you put into the external case?? And finally do you even hear the harddrive spin up.
    Question 1:
    The case is old enough to be plug and play (dont know exactly but it is a moving star and has een used before as a plug and play).
    Question 2:
    Yes my 80GB barracuda hard drive is set to slave.
    Question 3:
    I do hear the hard drive spin. The problem is the drivers I think. (this is pathetic, I am from computer repair at Job Corps and cant fix it. lol please if you can help HELP!)
    ナサン フォオツド
    Make one person smile for it will continue to spread but if you make a frown that will spread as well.http://www.animeonline.net/gallery/s...0/ppuser/57173

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

In that case, do you know the company that made the case. If you do then go to their site. Unless it's a really shitty company it's usual that they have their drivers on there. And have you try other USB ports on your computer too??

Sorry for asking question by question lol, it's a tech support thing xD

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

The information that you haven't provided is "What is the interface this external case uses to connect to the computer?" (e.g. SCSI?, USB? SATA?) If it's USB or SATA, chances are the external case has its own internal IDE controler, and a sole drive would need to be set to 'single master' and not 'slave'...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Adding on to what Len said, setting it to Cable Select would do the same thing as well in most cases (Depending on the IDE controller.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

The information that you haven't provided is "What is the interface this external case uses to connect to the computer?" (e.g. SCSI?, USB? SATA?) If it's USB or SATA, chances are the external case has its own internal IDE controler, and a sole drive would need to be set to 'single master' and not 'slave'...
    Thanks I never thought of that one. *smacks myself on the head many times*I had it set to a slave drive and to answer Legends question it is a Moving star external casing. IT NOW WORKS THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YORU HELP!
    Last edited by Ichigo_06; Jan 26, 2008 at 12:03 PM.
    ナサン フォオツド

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo_06 View Post
    Thanks I never thought of that one. *smacks myself on the head many times*I had it set to a slave drive and to answer Legends question it is a Moving star external casing.
    It's also possible that the drive is actually broken. I have a few drives that i've hooked up to an ide to usb cable in the past. XP will see that it's connected but teh drive is physically broken and won't work. If the jumper issues don't fix it it really might be broken.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast