+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PC Problems

Newbie EternalDarkness790 is off to a good start EternalDarkness790's Avatar
    Thanks

PC Problems

When i turn on my laptop it goes to the Microsoft Windows XP page that it loads before actually going to everything else. It just stays on there and I don't have the money to go and get it fixed let alone go and buy a new computer all together so please share you wisdom. My pc is also a Compaq Presario 2100

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: PC Problems

You're screwed...

Kidding.

Right before the Windows loading screen shows up, press F8 and choose Safemode with networking and that should load up. Once in there, use System restore and try an earlier restore point.

If that doesn't work (or if you don't have System restore turned on), I'm out of ideas, and since I'm not sitting in front of your labtop, I can't recommend anything I might try since they are things that computer users should try with out knowing what they are doing.

Another suggestion is getting someone who knows about computers to look at it like a friend.

Thanks

Thanks. I will try it hopefully I can get it to work. Maybe re-installing Windows XP wouldn't be a bad idea?

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

If you're going to do that, make sure you back up your data (getting into safe mode will allow you to do that)

Thanks

Alright I will be sure to do that before re-installing windows.

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

*removed unnecessary, irrelevant, and misplaced comments* ~ Aceman67

Aceman's solution is a good one, but only if it is a software issue. For instance, if your hard drive has a hairline scratch starting right where the OS loads explorer, then you would have the same result. Although, I highly doubt that its hardware from your brief description.

If Aceman's advice doesn't work, you could always try a repair install of XP. If done right, you retain all your data. Just Google repair install and avoid Clean Install and/or reformat. You'll need the Xp disk that came with your computer, or borrow someone's full XP disk. You might get a message that says the serial doesn't match the OEM disk, but you can just call the Microsoft helpdesk and explain the situation. I've done it before and they can opt to release a new install/repair serial if you story checks out.

Alternatively, if you have an old drive laying around or an extra $30., you could get a new drive. Install your XP with the existing serial, or Ubuntu (free) on the extra drive. You can then use the old primary drive as a slave to "explore" the file system and copy over important files.

Just out of curiosity, did you mean the black loading screen that says windows and has the load bar that cycles through at the bottom? Does the load bar freeze or does it endlessly loop? What color is your bar, green or blue (indicates SP pack).
    Last edited by aceman67; Jun 18, 2009 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks

You save all stored data, like documents, photos, music, movies, ect ect, but everything from installed programs like saved games, browser bookmarks and Most importantly, any and all OS updates, and for XP, thats a big deal, are all lost when doing a repair install.

While it works (And in some cases depending on your computer configuration, it doesn't), you're going to have alot of work ahead of you, and sometimes, starting fresh might be a better option, if only to save time.

Also, you might want to look at creating a custom XP install disc using nLite (nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation) which allows you to slipstream in all OS updates (Including service packs), hardware drivers, and creates an unattended install (Just start the install, and walk away). Very useful tool, and I used it on multiple occasions while I was still using XP (Can you believe that I haven't been using XP for 3 years now? Wow.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post

Just out of curiosity, did you mean the black loading screen that says windows and has the load bar that cycles through at the bottom? Does the load bar freeze or does it endlessly loop? What color is your bar, green or blue (indicates SP pack).

It goes to the blue screen after it loads up. It also doesn't load in safe mode or any of that.

+ Reply to Thread