+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RAM problems

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

RAM problems

Does anyone know why a motherboard cannot detect a stick of ram for whatever reason?? Recently I installed a 1gb stick of ram into my desktop and moved my old 512mb stick over to the next slot. For some reason when I go to My Computer > Properties, it said only 1.00 gb of ram when it should clearly have a gig and a half...

I used a software that a friend gave me called CpuZ, and from there it was able to see that I have Memory Sticks in both slot 1 and 2...so I'm a little befuddled here. Truth is, my only concern is not whether it detects it or not, but rather if the computer uses the 512mb ram...

Note: Both memory sticks are PC 3200 if anyone needs details
    Last edited by Legend; Jun 16, 2007 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Fixed error, thank v_dita for catching it

Newbie Vandread_Dita may be famous one day Vandread_Dita may be famous one day Vandread_Dita's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: RAM problems

hmm well i hop to god it wasnt a 512 kb ram stick. what you probly ment was 512 mb. anyway what i think the problem is is that the ram arnt the same sizes. i take a computer programing class, so i know a lil bit bout comps, and i heard that if you dont have two of the same size ram then it can cause problems. it also might be that you didnt put it in the right slot, and it might be loose. in that case just play with it a lil bit, untill you get it. worse case senerio your old 512 ram is damaged in that case just go get another 1 g ram stick, and you should be fine
    touch the untouchable, break the unbreakable, raw raw fight the powah

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

The size of the RAM (512 MB vs 1 GIG) isn't important in terms of using them together. I have a PC I used a 512MB chip with 1 GIG and no issues. The important aspect in terms of compatibility is that they are both PC 3200 (the same MHz, 400 in this case). Since they are that isn't the issue.

DO these steps:
    1) Take the 1 gig chip out, put the 512 in Slot1 (the motherboard should be marked) reboot and see if the computer actually boots and recognizes the chip.

If no, then the chip is bad. End of problem, chunk the chip.

If yes, and the PC does boot, then:

2) Open your case and figure out what kind of motherboard you have. Then look up the specs for the motherboard. Your motherboard may only support "x" amount of ram total. For instance if your motherboard only supports 2 gigs of ram and has 4 slots. That means it will only utilize 512 MB of ram per slot. Thus the 512 MB chip isn't an issue. It is that the 1 gig chip is too big and the system doesn't recognize all of it. Now that is just speculation given I don't know your motherboard specs and the fact that it really should not recognize the 1 gig chip at all if that was the case, but hey I have seen PC's do weird stuff.

You could also try:
    Here is a tool from Microsoft that will allow you to check to see if your RAM has issues.

Windows Memory Diagnostic

Try those and let me know.

Edit: if both chips are good then make sure the bigger one (the 1 gig) is in slot1...that may help.

Hammer.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

And I wonder if that 1GB stick of RAM is double sided (chips on both sides of the stick) as a lot of the older budget motherboards can only read single sided sticks. (This would explain why your only seeing half the memory on that stick...)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

This could be almost anything, from Bios to a bad stick. You should post your exact setup if you already haven't figured it out.

Also, one quick thing to try is using slots 1 and 3 instead of 1 and 2. Some older Mobos are set up like that. My old P4 2.53ghz computer accepted a 1gig and 512mb setup. That was a Gateway that ran on PC2700 (333). The only Ram that definitely requires total parity is rdram.

My current rig runs on 2 different manufacturers 1gig DDR2 800 sticks with difference CAS timings. It still works fine despite not being optimal, although I noticed my mobo was picky about having them in slots 1 and 2, instead of 3 and 4. It ran, but not at full speed.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vandread_Dita View Post
    hmm well i hop to god it wasnt a 512 kb ram stick. what you probly ment was 512 mb. anyway what i think the problem is is that the ram arnt the same sizes. i take a computer programing class, so i know a lil bit bout comps, and i heard that if you dont have two of the same size ram then it can cause problems. it also might be that you didnt put it in the right slot, and it might be loose. in that case just play with it a lil bit, untill you get it. worse case senerio your old 512 ram is damaged in that case just go get another 1 g ram stick, and you should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer View Post
    The size of the RAM (512 MB vs 1 GIG) isn't important in terms of using them together. I have a PC I used a 512MB chip with 1 GIG and no issues. The important aspect in terms of compatibility is that they are both PC 3200 (the same MHz, 400 in this case). Since they are that isn't the issue.

DO these steps:
    1) Take the 1 gig chip out, put the 512 in Slot1 (the motherboard should be marked) reboot and see if the computer actually boots and recognizes the chip.

If no, then the chip is bad. End of problem, chunk the chip.

If yes, and the PC does boot, then:

2) Open your case and figure out what kind of motherboard you have. Then look up the specs for the motherboard. Your motherboard may only support "x" amount of ram total. For instance if your motherboard only supports 2 gigs of ram and has 4 slots. That means it will only utilize 512 MB of ram per slot. Thus the 512 MB chip isn't an issue. It is that the 1 gig chip is too big and the system doesn't recognize all of it. Now that is just speculation given I don't know your motherboard specs and the fact that it really should not recognize the 1 gig chip at all if that was the case, but hey I have seen PC's do weird stuff.

You could also try:
    Here is a tool from Microsoft that will allow you to check to see if your RAM has issues.

Windows Memory Diagnostic

Try those and let me know.

Edit: if both chips are good then make sure the bigger one (the 1 gig) is in slot1...that may help.

Hammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

And I wonder if that 1GB stick of RAM is double sided (chips on both sides of the stick) as a lot of the older budget motherboards can only read single sided sticks. (This would explain why your only seeing half the memory on that stick...)
    Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    This could be almost anything, from Bios to a bad stick. You should post your exact setup if you already haven't figured it out.

Also, one quick thing to try is using slots 1 and 3 instead of 1 and 2. Some older Mobos are set up like that. My old P4 2.53ghz computer accepted a 1gig and 512mb setup. That was a Gateway that ran on PC2700 (333). The only Ram that definitely requires total parity is rdram.

My current rig runs on 2 different manufacturers 1gig DDR2 800 sticks with difference CAS timings. It still works fine despite not being optimal, although I noticed my mobo was picky about having them in slots 1 and 2, instead of 3 and 4. It ran, but not at full speed.
    No I am sure the 512 mb IS NOT damaged, because before I bought this 1gb ram, my computer was using the 512mb so I am pretty sure it is not damaged...

@Chief: Two things from your suggestion. First I checked the mobo manual and it said it allows up to 3 gig and has three slots. Ironic thing though is that the mother board manual does not say it supports and 1gb ram, but obviously it has to because right now it sees 1gb of ram and on top 3 slots 3gb there's no other way...

@Len: I guess my mobo could be on the cheaper end, but I am not sure. It is a RZ Series Motherboard 7VT600P-RZ (-c) and has a AMD Athlon XP processor...as for what you said I think it could read double side rams...because once again from before I used the 512mb ram and it was able to see it and that stick is double sided...

@know1: So far yours is the only thing I haven't tried. But to be honest unlike my last desktop this one's manual does not specify which slot is one and which slot is 2 and 3 and so on..

Thanks the four of you for replying....is there anything else maybe that I could look for to see why it might not work??

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

When you boot your PC go into your BIOS (F11, ESC or Delete key) if your BIOS states you have the 1,536 MB of ram then it is a windows issue so lets look at your ram from a different place in windows.

Go to start > Run and type msinfo32.exe, look at the "Total Physical Memory" item on the System Summary Section (it is on this section by default). See how much it says you have, if it states only 1024 MB of ram then it is something wrong with the OS...let me know. Also Know1 has a great point, try that first.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Also, if you have your motherboard manual, (or can look it up online) check to see what SIZE of memory your motherboard can support. It may turn out that 512MB is the upper limit...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast