+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: setting up wireless for laptop help

Otaku iazndragoni yan may be famous one day iazndragoni yan may be famous one day iazndragoni yan's Avatar
    Thanks

setting up wireless for laptop help

i've set up my wireless modem for wifi capability. it works perfect for a PSP but the laptop my dad has doesnt. the problem, im not sure. when i searched for wifi connections and found my modem, i click connect. it shows the message "connecting" after awhile, it just goes back to the list of wifi connections and i am not connected to my modem but to someone else's.

i have a Qwest ACTIONTEC modem....

Decapitation?DontBePicky! Raimann may be famous one day Raimann may be famous one day Raimann's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: setting up wireless for laptop help

wow no one knows? well i dont have a laptop, but my friend does and he encountered the same problem. first, you have to make sure that you are not far away from your connection. second, you have to make sure that noting can interfere with the connection. if the problem still persists, try to re-install the wifi connector, because there is a possibility of a bug in the system. also, you can go to the store that sold you the wireless connector and ask if this connector works with your laptop. if this doesnt work, call a repair shop, or someone skilled.

Want Credits Fast? Love The Thrill Of Gambling? Then Come On Down And See For Yourself!
    http://www.animeonline.net/f5/nfl-football-31440/

Otaku iazndragoni yan may be famous one day iazndragoni yan may be famous one day iazndragoni yan's Avatar
    Thanks

the laptop is in the living room while the modem is in my room. the connection signal is at full bar. i dont get why the PSP works but not the laptop. the wifi switch is turned on. also, what do you mean by install wifi connector?

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not an expert on wireless devices and all but my first question is are you running any type of Encryption? I use WPA encryption in the house and I have to have a XP machine with SP2 installed to be able to access it. I also have a problem with some linux distributions out of the box because they don't support WPA encryption.

Check your encryption method. That might be your problem right there.

Decapitation?DontBePicky! Raimann may be famous one day Raimann may be famous one day Raimann's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iazndragoni yan View Post
    the laptop is in the living room while the modem is in my room. the connection signal is at full bar. i dont get why the PSP works but not the laptop. the wifi switch is turned on. also, what do you mean by install wifi connector?
    go to 'set programs access and defaults' on the start menu, and the 'wifi reader' is a program built into the laptop, so find the name on the program list, and click repair, and if that does not work then uinno. and maybe some furniture is blocking the reading, or the laptop has a bug in the system, but iunno. get it checked out. srry thats all i know.,

Want Credits Fast? Love The Thrill Of Gambling? Then Come On Down And See For Yourself!
    http://www.animeonline.net/f5/nfl-football-31440/

Abomination Smacky Champion, Celebrity Power Lifte Champion, Crash Test Dummy High Jump Champion, Super Track 2001 Champion, Endless Flight Champion, Drop Kick Champion, Bloody Rage Champion, Dropkick The Faint Champion, Splash Back Champion Spin Da Ish is off to a good start Spin Da Ish's Avatar
    Thanks

yea the most i can be is a bug in the system or the walls have somthing in it blocking the signal. i dont really have a wifi modem so i cant do anything to help you execpt tell u all that i already know

Thanks

what does it mean in this picture. it says AUTOMATIC

http://xshinox.250free.com/wifi_problem.JPG

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

I beleive it's gonna try to automatically connect to that network. I could be wrong about that though.

You are running a encrypted connection. Do you know what kind of encryption your running? If not, here's how to see it.

Go to Start/Control Panel to open your control panel.

Chose the Network connections icon

Right click on your wireless network connection icon and choose properties.

Choose the wireless networks tab (the middle one) and click on your network your trying to connect to (in your case, the actiontec). Then choose properties.

In the properties box that comes up you will have a network athentication drop down box. I will say either WEP or WPA. Which is yours?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast