+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Slow computer...

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Slow computer...

i got my laptop little over a year ago, and it worked well enough...

however, since my sister started to use it more than i do, it started slowing down a lot... also, it will freeze up often as well... and a couple times, the screen will turn blue and have all these words on it, but then it will quickly turn black and then the computer will re-boot itself...

i know she goes on myspace and has her iTunes in there now, but i'm not sure what else she might have accenditly added that hurt my computer...

i have Norton Antivirus 2007 and SpySweeper, whenever i do a sweep, everything comes out green. i've even decompressed the files and that didn't really help much...

besides my sister's stuff, the only other thing i can see that might have caused the problem is when i downloaded a Google package (came with the new internet thing, firefox, the new adobe reader, among other things)... i had to stop it while it was downloading the adobe reader, so i'm thinking this might have made or at least added to the problem...

for reference, my laptop is an HP Pavillion Entertainment PC...

EDIT: oh, i use Google a lot too, would that also be a problem?

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

Re: Slow computer...

Have you checked how much hard drive space you have left?

I know that my computer doesn't like it when I have 40% free space in my main drive. It could be that your laptop is getting close to being full. And seeing as it is a laptop, its the more reason to make sure you create backup discs with your work etc because laptops don't hold as much as a normal desktop PC.

So many try getting rid of unwanted programmes and files that you don't anymore can go on a data disc maybe.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

★~Ao's Irish Fariy ~★ equinn may be famous one day equinn may be famous one day equinn's Avatar
    Thanks

ok has she had any viruses ??.... or has she been downloading alot
    and saving alot cos if so that might be the case cos my dad wont let me save any pics or music anymore becuse of that

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Spysweeper isn't really much of a Spyware program, you should try scanning with Spybot and Adaware as well as spysweeper, and see what turns up.

Also, run Disk Cleanup and run a Check Disk as well (you can run a check disk by right clicking on the hard drive, selecting properties, then tools, and under Error checking, click check now, most likely it'll tell you that it'll run at next restart, let it do that.)

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

You could have a hardware issue with the fact that one of the RAM chip may be or could be going bad. Here is a tool from Microsoft that will allow you to check to see if your RAM has issues.

Windows Memory Diagnostic

There also could be bad system files or corrupt system files. Get your windows XP CD ready. Go to Start> Run and type "sfc /scannow"

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer View Post
    There also could be bad system files or corrupt system files. Get your windows XP CD ready. Go to Start> Run and type "sfc /scannow"
    The problem with that solution is that if you've installed any updates or servicepacks, it'll either refuse to run, or turn up hundreds or thousands of errors because the files are different then whats on the CD

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

^-^ okay! i'll see what i can do than! thank you very much for your help!

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

You might also want to check for dust.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast