+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tech Question about DOCUME~1

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Tech Question about DOCUME~1

I have a problem, and maybe you guys can help. Whenever something is stored in C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\, it seems to stay in there, and i'm loseing memory. Like if i double click on a big file in a rar archive to view or install it. It has to store it temp in C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\ to open. I get some memory back when i delete the rar, but not all. Memory seem to be building up in the C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\.

Otaku Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Tech Question about DOCUME~1

It seems that you are confusing "memory" with free hard drive space. Once you delete the contents of the temporary folder, you should get the free space back, but System recovery, if active, may keep the deleted files in case you will need to "turn back time". Once you fill up the disk more, the system recovery will discard those files.
    WinRAR will also delete it's own temporary files upon the nearest opportunity, so you shouldn't need to do anything manually if you adhere to the rule of closing the setup you were running from the archive prior to the closing of the WinRAR window.
    You may also create a new shortcut that would automatically delete the temp folder, like cmd /c deltree /y C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\
    but that's risky and generally unneeded.

There are some more utilities that will keep the files not deleted, like All to Recycle Bin or Norton Protected Recycle Bin, but I don't think you have those judging from your question.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble grumble grumble

The ~1 your seeing in file names is actually an artifact of mapping 'extended' file names to the legacy DOS 8char.3char system. I use Windows file explorer myself and set it to view 'invisible' files to avoid the confusing naming system...

You are correct that temp file do build up in the C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temp directory. Every time I run Nero to burn a DVD archive of fansubs, I have to go in and manually delete the left over temp files. (a good practice is to do this Monthly...) This is simply the result of lazy programmers who don't clean up after themselves in applications...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Zdenek was right. It was system restore. I had it set to the max ammount of memory space available for system restore. Like about 13&#37; of my whole 120GB. I then set it to the min(200MB). This caused all those build of files to be deleted.Then i set it back to max, and made a new system restore point. I got 10GB back!!

Yeah len, I always delete those files in C/Documents and settings/Owner/Locals/Temp
    Last edited by Miroku4444; Dec 14, 2006 at 02:57 PM.

Otaku sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble grumble grumble

The ~1 your seeing in file names is actually an artifact of mapping 'extended' file names to the legacy DOS 8char.3char system. I use Windows file explorer myself and set it to view 'invisible' files to avoid the confusing naming system...

You are correct that temp file do build up in the C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temp directory. Every time I run Nero to burn a DVD archive of fansubs, I have to go in and manually delete the left over temp files. (a good practice is to do this Monthly...) This is simply the result of lazy programmers who don't clean up after themselves in applications...
    I second this: if you create a lot of media (video, CAD, images), Windows (XP, anyway) tends to accumulate these files. Large files = large temp folder hidden from user's eyes. If you can keep at least 30% of your harddrive empty, you won't usually have a problem. An almost full harddrive will bog the system down without fail.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    Zdenek was right. It was system restore. I had it set to the max ammount of memory space available for system restore. Like about 13% of my whole 120GB. I then set it to the min(200MB). This caused all those build of files to be deleted.Then i set it back to max, and made a new system restore point. I got 10GB back!!

Yeah len, I always delete those files in C/Documents and settings/Owner/Locals/Temp
    How do I check my windows to see what my settings are?

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble grumble grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyoro-Pyoro View Post
    How do I check my windows to see what my settings are?
    Thats Control Panel -> System Properties, then select the System Restore Tab...If you ever want a flush your system restore (such as having a virus infecting one of the restore points) you set the System Restore to Zero, reboot, then set it to the value you want...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

+ Reply to Thread