+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with SATA hard drive

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Trouble with SATA hard drive

Grumble Grumble Grumble

If I remember correctly, Windows XP does have the ability to select the drive/partition to boot from as an obscure boot track option.... Time to start searching the Microsoft Tech Notes site...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

If I remember correctly, Windows XP does have the ability to select the drive/partition to boot from as an obscure boot track option.... Time to start searching the Microsoft Tech Notes site...
    Sorry Len, but whaaaaaaa?

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Does XP sp2 even support 1TB disks? I'm pretty sure sp1 doesn't but I'm not too sure about sp2 and sp3.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    Sorry Len, but whaaaaaaa?
    Dating back to the NT World, there is a .<invisible> file that the boot loader program reads that contains a list of drives and partitions, and which ones to boot from. This same invisible file is also used for multi-boot configurations for Win98/XP configurations... (Though its been so long I've forgotten the name of this file...)

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Dating back to the NT World, there is a .<invisible> file that the boot loader program reads that contains a list of drives and partitions, and which ones to boot from. This same invisible file is also used for multi-boot configurations for Win98/XP configurations... (Though its been so long I've forgotten the name of this file...)
    So my goal is to find this file and get rid of it?

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something

Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Not to get rid of it... but to modify it so that it points to the correct drive/boot partition to use as default....

Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Not to get rid of it... but to modify it so that it points to the correct drive/boot partition to use as default....
    I found a file named boot with this inside:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /execute=optin /fastdetect

would that be it?

EDIT: you know the really frustrating thing is that sometimes would work and sometimes it would not.
    Last edited by Legend; Sep 28, 2008 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    I found a file named boot with this inside:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /execute=optin /fastdetect

would that be it?

EDIT: you know the really frustrating thing is that sometimes would work and sometimes it would not.
    Now the next thing to do is to find out what XP thinks the drive mappings are, and see how they relate to these settings...

The other thing I was wondering about... did your new drive come with a CD/floppy to insert a in-memory BIOS patch into the boot track? I know I started seeing those with the WD 300GB SATA drives

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast