View Poll Results: What's the best HD Display technology?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plasma TV

0 0%
  • LCD TV

4 80.00%
  • DLP TV

1 20.00%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What HDTV should I get?

Newbie hapa may be famous one day hapa may be famous one day hapa's Avatar
    Thanks

What HDTV should I get?

I'm leaning heavily towards the 3rd option, it’s the cheapest, and I’ve heard good things about DLP: http://www.dlp.com/

Newbie GeminiEntity may be famous one day GeminiEntity may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: What HDTV should I get?

I voted LCD with what was there.

But if you could give some more info I would be able to give more sound advice. Like what your viewing distance will be, what will you use the TV for, what type of cable do you have (SDTV or HDTV), etc?

I'll make a quick summary though.

CRT - If you have the room, a Sony XBR970 CRT would be great. Only other HD CRTs I would say are Panasonic, though they are rare to find. Only downside is it's heavy (200 pounds) and burn in is a slight issue. Though to burn in it would have to be left on a still image for hours which should never happen any ways.

LCD - Samsung, Sony, LG, Sharp are all good LCDs. Those brands will give you the best blacks for a LCD. If you plan on gaming, look for one that is 8mms or lower. I would choose one that is 4mms myself.

DLP - I don't care for them, so I didn't do my research when it came to them. No help here.

Plasma - I'd go with around the same brands as the LCD ones. Beware though, burn in on these sets is the worse. I have seen cases of only a few hours. Plus, you better have a nice view distance.
    Last edited by GeminiEntity; May 12, 2006 at 08:31 PM.

Newbie hapa may be famous one day hapa may be famous one day hapa's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks, let's see. I guess my viewing distance is pretty far - I have a giant room that I can use, or a smaller room, the giant room probably gives me like 50 feet. Mainly I'll use the TV for gaming, and also watching movies. I have satellite, and there is HDTV source coming in. My funds are a little limited, which is one of the reasons DLP looks good.

The main reason I'm considering DLP is that my current set has things burned into it from gaming. I am not responsible about this, and I don't want to ruin my brand new exciting set the first time I pass out in front of the TV with my game paused. As far as I'm aware DLP is the only option that prevents burn-in, true?

I looked it up and yes, DLP is the only option. LCD doesn't quite suffer from burn-in, but google says: "LCD TVs do not suffer from burn-in, but can have a "retained pixel charge" which may also produce ghosting. Stuck pixels are also possible with an LCD display."
    Last edited by hapa; May 17, 2006 at 04:24 PM.

Newbie GeminiEntity may be famous one day GeminiEntity may be famous one day
    Thanks

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, been busy and forgot about this thread till checking my posts.

In your situation, DLP or LCD is the best choice. LCD doesn't suffer from burn in one bit, it's the same as DLP in this department. Though the ghosting effect is a problem if your LCD TV isn't 8mms or lower. 8mms seems to be the standard, but I have seen some with 6mms which should do away with the ghost effect you read about. As for the stuck pixels, they are just defective much like dead pixels.

Go with whichever one you think has more pros and less cons for you.

Either way, I'm sure the DLP or the LCD will fit the bill. Have fun gaming and watching anime, it will be a new experience.
    Last edited by GeminiEntity; Jun 12, 2006 at 10:23 AM.

+ Reply to Thread