+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is "illegal music"?

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

What is "illegal music"?

^o^ hey guys! i was just wondering what EXACTLY illegal music downloads are, and what is not...

see, my sweet Darling is getting a Zune (Microsoft's answer to iPod) for me, and i heard that if you put illegal music into it, it will send a message to the people who arrest and sue you for illegal music.

now, i don't know if that is true, but it did bring to my mind of what illegal music really is, and that's why i wanted to ask all you smart, tech-y people!

namely:

1] i have music from a DJ who allows you to download her music for free, is that okay?

2] are CDs from other countries counted as illegal music? (not burned, but an actual CD from a company and so on...)

3] i know that free download place like Napster and Kazaa are a no-no, but are there any that are okay?

4] are songs burned into CDs okay, if they came from the internet or someone else's CD?

^o^ thanks for your time!

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: What is "illegal music"?

Ahhh... My favorite Topic: Copyright Law

There was an older thread that discussed this that can explain and answer some of the questions here: Copyright music

now, to answer the questions:

1) Yes, if the music that the DJ is allowing for download is her own original work, although, she's not really that smart if she is, cause she could be making money...
    2) No. That would be like saying Banana's from South America are illegal.
    3) Napster now a days is a legitimate Music store. So is the iTunes music store. As for "free" music downloads. No those are not ok, no matter how you go about it (Unless you live in a country where there are no laws agaisnt it)
    4) That depends. Are they for personal use, or do you sell them?

It all really winds down to the country that you live in. The US is really the only country in the world that actually cracks down, prosecutes and imprisions/fines illegal music downloaders.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

A somewhat related web article that covers the subject of legal Anime OST, DVD and Manga products...

Anime Digital - The Pirate Anime FAQ
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

^o^ yay! thank you guys! i really appriciate the help!

EDIT:

yeah, the burned CDs were for personal use, but i was wondering if that would be counted as illegal from a technical standpoint...

and yeah, i live in the US so i don't want to go to prison for something as lame as music downloading...

Devoted Otaku Nympho may be famous one day Nympho may be famous one day Nympho's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Dhabi View Post
    ^o^ hey guys! i was just wondering what EXACTLY illegal music downloads are, and what is not...

see, my sweet Darling is getting a Zune (Microsoft's answer to iPod) for me, and i heard that if you put illegal music into it, it will send a message to the people who arrest and sue you for illegal music.

now, i don't know if that is true, but it did bring to my mind of what illegal music really is, and that's why i wanted to ask all you smart, tech-y people!

namely:

1] i have music from a DJ who allows you to download her music for free, is that okay?

2] are CDs from other countries counted as illegal music? (not burned, but an actual CD from a company and so on...)

3] i know that free download place like Napster and Kazaa are a no-no, but are there any that are okay?

4] are songs burned into CDs okay, if they came from the internet or someone else's CD?

^o^ thanks for your time!
    I download all of my music on Ares and put it into my zune. I've had my
    Zune for a long time, and i have no 5-0's at my door. I think its
    just a rumor. Besides, why would they want people not to buy there stuff
    and get an ipod instead? they dont care, they just want there money.
    We are ruled by fear, remember that.

I'm a glass child. I am Hannah's regrets. Monster.

Otaku sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9's Avatar
    Thanks

There's probably some confusion with the recent Apple rumours of tacking users' email addresses into songs and the possibility that a music player will report "stolen" (improperly used) music. I haven't heard about the Zune specifically, and though it is Microsoft's style, I doubt there's adequate data to determine if your music isn't used/acquired properly.

All online downloading is not illegal: many independent artists/groups still offer tracks for free, since the exposure is a better gamble than $.99/song. DJs are this way often, but I don't know how clear the law is, since they often mix copyright protected music. When you purchase music from iTunes, Napster, Walmart, MP3.com (etc.), keep in mind, the services often provide you with a license for use. I bought 2 songs from Musicmatch years ago that I can't listen to because I've reformatted my computer twice since then and didn't backup my licenses.

One more thing: if a friend loans it to you, technically it's illegal (unless it's their own music). For some reason, copying records to cassettes was never scrutinized like digital media (CDs & mp3s). The only explanation I've ever heard focuses on quality, which is a pretty poor excuse. As long as you own the CD, you can make mp3s as "fair use" but you can't distribute them. As soon as the CD goes to the resell shop, you've lost your right to listen to those mp3s.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

That rumor about iTunes attaching the account information (Just the account number that only Apple can use to identify the specific user) to music isn't a rumor. They ARE doing that. Its part of the security they're putting in their new DRM-free music that they are making available.

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Haha, they won't send anything to anyone.. there isn't any possible way of knowing what a person is using to put music on their product, UNLESS there is some type of crazy weird satellite system invented into the piece of technology. (Which I highly doubt because it'll be VERY difficult to keep track of every single person who buys one and uses illegal music to download into it.)

To answer your questions IMO:

I assume it would be if the actual DJ is giving you permision to do so. Other than that, you are doing illegal actions because the owner or creator did not allow you to do so.

NO! Why would you even think that? It isn't in any way illegal. It's just foreign.

The only one I can think of is iTunes. But you have to pay money for EACH song that you download, which is stupid. You can get the music at *not mentioning* instead. For FREE!

Yeah, this is fine. No harm in copying a CD that a friend bought you, or you bought for yourself. No illegal actions going on here, from my POV.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast