+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What software can see DVD?

Otaku alex1_phang3 may be famous one day alex1_phang3 may be famous one day alex1_phang3's Avatar
    Malaysia -> Sabah -> Kota Kinabalu -> Jalan Kepayan
    Thanks

What software can see DVD?

I got this really good movies in a "three in one" DVD, by watching it using a DVD player you can turn on and choose subtitles, choose which episode you want to watch and .etc. So I was wondering if there are any software out there that can be used to watch DVD with almost the same funtion as said? Thx!

Otaku Tavrail may be famous one day Tavrail may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: What software can see DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by alex1_phang3 View Post
    I got this really good movies in a "three in one" DVD, by watching it using a DVD player you can turn on and choose subtitles, choose which episode you want to watch and .etc. So I was wondering if there are any software out there that can be used to watch DVD with almost the same funtion as said? Thx!
    Hmm, I know Powerdvd is excellent but it needs to be bought. I think I had a free dvd program on my computer before my format last year but the name is eluding me. I might remember it soon though.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

The thing is, is that DVD encoding is based on the trademarks and copyrights of the company Macro Vision, so ANY DVD codec will be commercial in nature (no freeware for this application...) Though with a bleeding edge PC Video card, you can actually get a BETTER video then from the best DVD decks out there...

The two leading brands for DVD player software would be Cybermedia's PowerDVD, and InterVideo's WinDVD... A simple Google search should find both companies websites...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

The thing is, is that DVD encoding is based on the trademarks and copyrights of the company Macro Vision, so ANY DVD codec will be commercial in nature (no freeware for this application...) Though with a bleeding edge PC Video card, you can actually get a BETTER video then from the best DVD decks out there...

The two leading brands for DVD player software would be Cybermedia's PowerDVD, and InterVideo's WinDVD... A simple Google search should find both companies websites...
    Although I don't disagree with anything you wrote, I was wondering how VLC and the CCCP are allowed to continually offer their freeware (Both of which play commercial DVDs). Does that mean they are using illegal mpeg2 codecs? Or is this a question of ownership authentication, as in the recent lawsuit against Micorsoft over the rights to the .mp3 patent.

I then found the hint on the VLC site--A tiny mention of a decoder called libdvdcss.

The next logical step is to wiki: Free DVD Decoding Answer

So, for those who do not wish to bother reading that link, VLC players, and other players like it, make guesses at the decoding key for each DVD. If it can't immadiately guess it, it then tries what is called a Brute Force (attack, ahem...) technique of just throwing every possible combination of numbers at the DVD compressed information.

This just means that while most commercial DVDs will play, there are probably a few that won't with this freeware.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    Although I don't disagree with anything you wrote, I was wondering how VLC and the CCCP are allowed to continually offer their freeware (Both of which play commercial DVDs). Does that mean they are using illegal mpeg2 codecs? Or is this a question of ownership authentication, as in the recent lawsuit against Micorsoft over the rights to the .mp3 patent.

I then found the hint on the VLC site--A tiny mention of a decoder called libdvdcss.

The next logical step is to wiki: Free DVD Decoding Answer

So, for those who do not wish to bother reading that link, VLC players, and other players like it, make guesses at the decoding key for each DVD. If it can't immadiately guess it, it then tries what is called a Brute Force (attack, ahem...) technique of just throwing every possible combination of numbers at the DVD compressed information.

This just means that while most commercial DVDs will play, there are probably a few that won't with this freeware.
    You already have the answer in your post... Having to 'Guess' 40bit encryption keys also means that you don't have access to the official licensed 40bit region distribution keys, making it a unlicensed DVD decoder, and technically a violation of the Macro Vision trademarks and copyrights... The data format itself (inside the encryption) is just a standard MPEG-2 video stream...

One of the issues of installing something from a group that ignores Trademark and Copyright laws, is that if their ignoring the law, how do you know that there isn't something 'extra' that their not talking about that's a part of that installation package... hmmm....
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku alex1_phang3 may be famous one day alex1_phang3 may be famous one day alex1_phang3's Avatar
    Malaysia -> Sabah -> Kota Kinabalu -> Jalan Kepayan
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrail View Post
    Hmm, I know Powerdvd is excellent but it needs to be bought. I think I had a free dvd program on my computer before my format last year but the name is eluding me. I might remember it soon though.
    OMG! I had POWER DVD but I deleted it! (coz it say cannot find bla bla file when I try to run it)

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    Although I don't disagree with anything you wrote, I was wondering how VLC and the CCCP are allowed to continually offer their freeware (Both of which play commercial DVDs)..
    CCCP can play DVD? do you mean the zoom player?

Otaku Tavrail may be famous one day Tavrail may be famous one day
    Thanks

OMG! I had POWER DVD but I deleted it! (coz it say cannot find bla bla file when I try to run it)
    I got that message for a while, a simple re-install sorted it out in no time.

Otaku paiki may be famous one day paiki may be famous one day paiki's Avatar
    Thanks

CCCP can play DVD? do you mean the zoom player?
    I use CCCP - 321 Media Player Classic. If u Right Click no Screen u can have those options.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast