Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Windows vista

Banned Manga artist may be famous one day Manga artist may be famous one day Manga artist's Avatar
    Thanks

Windows vista

How many of you have windows vista?
    plese tell about your veaws on this new windows O.S
    I have windows vista ,but some say it has bugs in it
    is windows vista better than windows P ? Or Windows XP better than Windows vista, Not all PC items are not ment for windows vista
    some time they have updated software downloads for vista
    and some don't, give your opinion on this matter

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Windows vista

I've used it, but I don't think I will switch until it is broken-in a little more. By broken-in, I mean that any new OS has to go out into the real world for a while so developers and consumers have some time to work with it to find all the problems and incompatibilities. This could take years. It does have potential, but the full extent of its potential will not be tapped until software is written with Vista specifically in mind.

It is indeed a resource hog, but relatively so when compared to the release of XP in 2001. Consider that a top machine back then had a P4 2ghz chip with pc 133 ram. Many computers still had PIII's in them. Running XP back then was even more dramatic in the resources department. We run XP now on dual and quad core machines with dual gigs of ram (more available for 64 bit of course), raid drives and soon to be commonplace solid state drives, etc. When we load up Vista, yes it is slower with Aero-glass, or whatever they are marketing the gui as, but it is still relatively faster than XP when XP was first released.

The major issue with Vista, and to a lesser extent, XP, is that Microsoft is making OS's "easier" for the consumer, not the IT guy or even the moderately proficient computer person. They are making these usable for grandparents, soccer moms, and a whole slew of people who are in all reality computer illiterate. I often associate Windows OS to the McDonalds registers with the pictures of food on them. People can't be asked to read anything anymore, they need glittery gui and iconography to navigate through even the simplest tasks with computers. My first computer did nothing without programming 5 pages of basic into it first.

My suggestion is to stick to XP for the next year. That is when Vista will be ready for prime time. If you are really interested in shiny gui, use XP with windowblinds. You'll even get the bloated vista feeling as a byproduct, but all of your current software will work.

Newbie bigfoot88 may be famous one day bigfoot88 may be famous one day bigfoot88's Avatar
    Thanks

My mom and sisters has it so does a couple of my friends. I really haven't messed around it too much but from what I've seen it pretty cool. But yeah it does has a few bugs but I think in time it will replace XP.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

I currently run Vista Ultimate 64-Bit edition, I'm generally pleased with it.

If you are a heavy gamer on the PC, you WILL experience a hit in performance on Vista unless you have top of the line equipment in your PC. A good example of this, least on my computer, is the Sims 2, under XP, I could play the game flawlessly at 1600x1200 with no lag, but under vista, I can only do it at 1280x960.

If you do make the switch to Vista, and plan on doing some gaming, set aside some money to upgrade your rig.

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    I often associate Windows OS to the McDonalds registers with the pictures of food on them.
    By that statement, I'm going to assume that you never worked at McDonald's.

I don't know how it is in the States, but In the 5 years I worked for McDonald's, I never once used tills that had pictures on them, and for the last year that I worked for them, I used the newest tills, which were Windows XP based, used buttons where you had to read.

Just because someone works at Rotten Ronnies, does not mean they are stupid and cannot read. Least they have a job.
    Last edited by aceman67; Jan 02, 2008 at 10:04 PM.

Otaku Dune Bashing In Dubai Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, Yeti Bubbles Champion overload is off to a good start overload's Avatar
    Thanks

I have worked on it before, and I really don't think I will change my current operating system for a while yet... though there are patches that actually make vista more solid and more flexible to the user, like the one a while back. which was just over 18 megs big. and it really did deliver a more rounded version of vista after installation.

To me I think that it still requires much more from the developers, in terms of bug removal and error fixing. and maybe I will be willing to change my O.S but until they really fix Vista... I must say that you should stay away from it.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, like vista or not, Micro$haft will be dropping support for XP in the next year or two (If they haven't already).

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    By that statement, I'm going to assume that you never worked at McDonald's.

I don't know how it is in the States, but In the 5 years I worked for McDonald's, I never once used tills that had pictures on them, and for the last year that I worked for them, I used the newest tills, which were Windows XP based, used buttons where you had to read.

Just because someone works at Rotten Ronnies, does not mean they are stupid and cannot read. Least they have a job.
    Wow. Out everything I wrote down, you extracted this portion? I never claimed Micky-D's employees were stupid, but it seems that you took the liberty assuming I am that ignorant, and through some sort of hyper-sensitive ex-McDonald's employee defense mechanism, concluded that my intent was to bash "stupid" McDonald's people through an ambiguous logical progression where McDonald's registers = stupid people.

To answer your question, no--never an employee, but had quite a few friends in the burger slinging trade who have in past years shown me the (apparently US only) picture registers. I guess these are no longer the current model, but was a useful example for my previous point of Microsoft OS's. These older registers fit somewhere in Ritzer's McDonaldization model between Predictability and Control, but were most likely phased out in favor of networked windows solutions (if I am to read you correctly about the XP registers).

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

I have recently got a new Windows Vista laptop and its being doing very well with me so far. I have run into some quirks but I always run into them when it comes to new computers. If I compared it to the XP, I can't really make an honest opinion about it yet because like I said I got it recently and I like making a judgement on a system once I have it for a few months.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast