Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Windows vista

Witch Hunter GallComp may be famous one day GallComp may be famous one day GallComp's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Windows vista

It all depends. Currently I have two main computers, one with XP (desktop) and a new laptop with Vista. Botth of these systems have 1 gig of Ram, the XP machine runs faster even with a slower processor, but it has been crashing on me a fewer more times than the Vista one.

No doubth Vista looks nicer than my XP machine, but I need more performance, so I will upgrade my memory to at least 2 gigs and see if it helps..

Newbie Sirhc may be famous one day Sirhc may be famous one day Sirhc's Avatar
    Thanks

Vista Service pack 1 just entered BETA, so some of these quirks people are talking about ought to be taken out. I don't have vista, mostly because my comp are slow to begin with but deliver what's needed. Though I gotta say that the nice GUI can easily be added to XP by WindowsBlinds or by patching the skinning engine then incorperating the masses of .msstyles.

Naruto Shippuden >> 51 | Gundam 00 >> 24 | FMA >> Ch. 81

Newbie japanheavenguy may be famous one day japanheavenguy may be famous one day japanheavenguy's Avatar
    Thanks

currently I'm using vista home premium as my place recommended but it was the first time i use vista, so i can't say it was no good at all..........recently i found that my comp was lacking when I'm surfing the net but i think it's about the bandwidth i applied...

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

there's also one problem that Microsoft has 1) Refused to acknowledge, 2) offer any kind of reason why it does it.

That problem is the "Trusted Installer Service", which is linked to Windows Update system. When ever the computer goes to check for new updates, the "Trusted" installer service takes and bogs down your processor TOTALLY (on my computer it sits there and churns at about 80% proc usage), and there's nothing you can do to it to make it stop short of disabling the entire windows update system (Which means you can't even manually check for updates).

There are rumors flying around the Micro$haft forums (Which Microsoft itself admits that they do not monitor even though it is a good place to gage people's reactions and to tell where exactly a problem is coming from) that the issue would be fixed with the service pack that is coming out soon (That is currently in beta testing at the moment.)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to aceman67 For This Useful Post:

Chiefblackhammer (Jan 17, 2008)

Otaku elvin is off to a good start elvin's Avatar
    Thanks

erm... i dsnt know that vista is good or not.. i'm not using it but i will buy a new notebook and deciding either to install vista or not.... some friends recommended me to use vis ta and some of them says no! haiz... what should i do? which 1 should i prefer....
    ::::...Chery_Strawbery...::::

Newbie TheZorch is off to a good start TheZorch's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: Windows vista

Quote Originally Posted by Manga artist View Post
    How many of you have windows vista?
    plese tell about your veaws on this new windows O.S
    I have windows vista ,but some say it has bugs in it
    is windows vista better than windows P ? Or Windows XP better than Windows vista, Not all PC items are not ment for windows vista
    some time they have updated software downloads for vista
    and some don't, give your opinion on this matter
    I'm sorry this is a long post but its filled with a lot of important info.

This is a subject I know quite well. At this point in time Windows Vista has been pretty much declared a failure. Its sales haven't been anywhere near what Microsoft would have wanted and a record number of users are switching back to XP or switching to alternatives like Ubuntu Linux. There are several issues with Vista which make it an operating system that you'd probably would want to avoid.

The most prevalent problem with Vista is that its advertised recommended system requirements are more like minimum system requirements. The biggest system resource hog is Windows Content Protection. This is DRM or Digital Rights Management technology which is designed to monitor and protect copy protected materials like DRM protected videos, DVDs and music from being copied whether the law says personal copying is legal or not. This multi-layered service is constant running in the background always monitoring your video and audio ports as well was your other hardware. While alone each subsystem of Windows Content Protection does use very much CPU time with all of them at work at the same time it adds up. The number one complaint about Windows Vista has been sound and video playback issues. Stuttering sound, lagging frame rates on DVDs and video files, and a number of other problems including Windows Content Protection flagging a certain action as illegal when it wasn't is very common.

The next issue is with driver support. Even almost a year after the OS has been available device driver support is still very poor on Vista. When compared to XP after its first year of release it had excellent driver support.

Finally, and possibly the most critical of Vista's problems is Direct X 10. Direct X 10 is a complete re-write of the Direct X code. Because of this much of the backward compatibility which has been a hallmark of Direct X for years is now broken. Don't expect to be able to run older Direct X games on Vista because they won't work with Direct X 10 (anything older than Direct X 8 is known to have issues, some Direct X 9 games also have problems). Also, Vista has no native Open GL driver 3D graphics driver. Direct X 10 uses Open GL emulation, thus games which use it (Doom 3, Quake 4, Half-Life 2, Teamfortress 2, Portal, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory, etc) will run with significantly diminished performance even on cutting edge gaming PCs. Now nVidia and ATI have been shipping Open GL drivers with their graphics cards but if you don't have one of these cards you are out of luck. Also, DirectSound 3D has been removed. This is the Direct X 3D hardware accelerated positional audio component that "many" hundreds of games utilize. Creative Labs, on their most expensive sound cards only, is shipping a DirectSound 3D to Open AL wrapper with their sound card drivers so you can get 3D hardware accelerated audio in your games. There are also serious doubts that Direct X 10 can really deliver the next generation graphics that Microsoft has promised. Some may point to a game like Crysis as an example, but it should be noted that such a game could be done with Direct X 9.0c. An example of this is Unreal Tournament 3 which is a Direct X 9 game. It isn't until just recently that all of the features of Direct X 9.0c were accessible on 3D graphics hardware.

At this point if Vista hasn't proven by a year's time that it is a viable and stable enough operating system to warrant a substantial investment in a new cutting edge computer just to be able run it then it is not worth the expense. Add to that the confusion of seven different versions each with different functionalities from one another and vastly inflated prices then it becomes clear that its an OS that should be avoided if at all possible. Stay with XP, or if you're brave try Ubuntu.

That's my .02 cents.

--TheZorch

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheZorch For This Useful Post:

Chiefblackhammer (Jan 17, 2008), Sirhc (Jan 21, 2008)

Banned Manga artist may be famous one day Manga artist may be famous one day Manga artist's Avatar
    Thanks

I guess I have to agree with that
    I have a Intel Qx3 microscope but it only goes up to windows XP
    when my payments are done on my pc I replace vista with XP

Otaku Lenne may be famous one day Lenne may be famous one day Lenne's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm running Vista ultimate 64bit. Looks nice.. but many programs that close at random times... it pisses me off.. other than that its fine...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast