+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WMA or MP3

Otaku sazza2488 may be famous one day sazza2488 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: WMA or MP3

I guess my theory wasn't quite correct lol.

I always thought that mp3's aint off the CD.

Jigoku Shoujo Dangerous Dave Part 1 : Mole Surfing Champion Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness's Avatar
    Thanks

No it's the opposite though mp3's can also be found on the internet. You have to think where they in the first place.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

The subject really really belongs in the Tech forum....

Moving...

Now both WMA and MP3 can be found on the Internet, or can be created from tracks from a CD... The main difference is that WMA files can contain DRM (Digital Rights Management) copy protection, while MP3 file do not. MP3 now have problem where the maker of software players are getting their pants sued off in court over a patent dispute. Microsoft just lost one for over a BILLION and a half dollars...

Patent fights are a legacy of MP3's tangled origins | CNET News.com
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

It has also been argued that media formats that have copywrite protection require more battery power for the processor and memory, thus lowering the playback time of a portable media player. Not a big deal if you are listening to songs on your desktop computer, but something to think about when going mobile.

Standard CD's use PCM (pulse code modulation), WAV files. These are usually sampled at 16bit x 44kHz. There are enhanced audio CD which are encoded to 24bit x 96kHz. The next step will be HD-Audio which wil have 5.1-7.1 THX playback options, and will require DVD storage (because thats alot of samples).

To put this into perspective, PCM files encode at 1400 kbps, while a good MP3 encoding rate is 128kbps. That is why a typical Best Buy CD will only have 12-15 tracks, and a home burnt MP3 CD can have well over a hundred.

Stick with MP3.

Otaku Mitsu-O! is off to a good start Mitsu-O!'s Avatar
    Thanks

So downloading music for free of the internet will end huh? Bummer........
    More than bored; Sad. More than sad; Unhappy. More than unhappy; Ill. More than ill; Alone in the world. More than alone in the world; In Exile. More than in exile; Dead. More than dead;forgotten.......

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Descended From Darkness View Post
    WMA's won't work on certain mp3 players like Creative Zen micro but it will work on the Ipod...

snd sazza you're incorrect mp3 songs can be from cd's.

WMA's are songs saved on the Windows Media Player...trust me. I tried to put some songs that were saved on it to my mp3 player and it wouldn't accept it..

WMA's don't work on iPods. iTunes will scream at you to convert them to AAC. However, the Zen should play WMA's just fine, concidering Micro$ofts support of the player. The Zen is the competition for the iPod, and it would only be good buisness practice to have it support a format the other doesn't. One reason it won't play on your player is because you might have DRM enabled in WMP, go to Tools --> Options --> Click the Rip Music Tab, and uncheck the "Copyright protect Music", or better yet, just set it to mp3 @ 320kbs

Otaku psychical is off to a good start psychical's Avatar
    Thanks

Mp3s. I think the quality's better by rule of thumb. Plus I feel more comfortable listening to mp3s.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Otaku sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know any research links right off hand, but I've read that WMA may actually be better in sound quality than MP3 at a comparable bit rate (128kpbs .wma versus 128kbps .mp3). I'm one of those people that swears I can tell a low quality mp3 from a higher quality one, and I do think wma might be better. That being said, mp3 is certainly more "flexible" (transportable?) and I tend to rip my audio into 192kbps mp3 format.

Just a note: any file that's been transcoded more than once will sound pretty poor. I've heard 320kbps mp3s on the Internet that were either recorded from broadcasts or converted from a lower bitrate (i.e. 128) mp3.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast