+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XP Service Pack vs AOL

Otaku Kairu is off to a good start Kairu's Avatar
    Thanks

XP Service Pack vs AOL

It would seem there is an eternal war inside my computer when I put service pack 2 on it. Seems SP2 has a little Data Execution to detect malicious code, and what do you know AOL is considered to be one of them. Before you flame me for using AOL, it is the only option I have, DSL is not in our area.

My question is this. How do I turn Data Execution off so it will not block AOL?
    I have uninstalled SP2 for the time being until I can figure out what to do.
    Ne help is appreciated.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: XP Service Pack vs AOL

I dont remember the exact way to reach that menu, but there's a list of all the task that windows run and you can turn them on and off. Just make sure that Data Execution is not a crucial task for windows.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kairu View Post
    It would seem there is an eternal war inside my computer when I put service pack 2 on it. Seems SP2 has a little Data Execution to detect malicious code, and what do you know AOL is considered to be one of them. Before you flame me for using AOL, it is the only option I have, DSL is not in our area.

My question is this. How do I turn Data Execution off so it will not block AOL?
    I have uninstalled SP2 for the time being until I can figure out what to do.
    Ne help is appreciated.
    Press the Start button AND the Pause/Break button at the same time to bring up System Properties. Select Advanced tab, then the Setting button under Performance. The last tab on that page is Data Execution Prevention--Select that. You can turn it off and on there.

That does suck about only getting dial up, but there are other options out there that don't force you to install the bloatware/malware of AOL. For instance, Verizon (which isn't great either, but doesn't force you into installing crap) has dial up.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah besides that AOL isn't even the cheapest deal out there anymore. With so little people left using Dial UP all the companies are lowering their prices for competition.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Thanks

I realize the other options of Dail Up. My parents are awfully stubborn though.
    I have recommended Net Zero or People PC but they are in fear of losing their email address's. I have don't my best to reassure them that it is ok, but it does little good hence I have AOL
    still.

And thank you very much Legend and Know1. I have found what you are talking about. I am on the school laptop, but I will try this on my own computer when I return home innnnn....1 hour.

Thanks

but they are in fear of losing their email address's.
    That's ironic. Every time I receive an email from someone with an AOL address, I think to myself: "poor them".

You should show them some of the AOL horror stories on the Consumerist website.

I feel your pain from here.

Thanks

A quick little update, I have finished my update and set it up where AOL is an accepted program and things seem to be running fine. Thanks again for the help.

Back to the AOL hate, I never even use it really. I just use the little dailer and use Firefox and Thunderbird from there. Hopefully if DSL ever gets hooked up out here I can get that instead.

Thanks

Hopefully if DSL ever gets hooked up out here I can get that instead.
    This is a broadband coverage map from 2004. Its old, but the most complete one I could quickly find. You're telling me that you live in one of the white spaces on this map, and even then I can only assume more of those have been covered over the past three years between this map's creation and today?

That's some crappy luck to be in the 1% of the country that can't get broadband.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast