+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: (^_^) can i ask a question?

Newbie cloud_902 may be famous one day cloud_902 may be famous one day cloud_902's Avatar
    Thanks

(^_^) can i ask a question?

Hello!!! (^_^) can i ask what japanese alphabet are they using in anime? coz in a book i saw 2 japanese languages and i dont know if which are they using as a main language... is it katakana or hiragana?

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: (^_^) can i ask a question?

All of them, cloud_902.
    Hiragana, katakana and kanji. It really depends on the word that appears in anime. I mean, if the anime were to show you a ramen stall in a back alley, you'd probably see something like ラーメン (katakana for "ramen"). Outside a hospital, you're likely to see 病院 ("byouin" in kanji). And... let's see, I'm trying to find an example for hiragana but can't.

The point I'm trying to make is that the Japanese language makes use of all three, so there's no "which ONE", really. You're looking at all three of them. ^^;;

Otaku Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135's Avatar
    Thanks

To add onto what blue_rebel has said, in anime you can see hiragana in names (i.e. Kagome's name in Inuyasha), notes (i.e. Usagi in Sailor Moon was notorious for this) and just words that pop up behind the characters randomly (can't think of anything specific, but Sailor Moon had a bunch). You can also see a mixture of both hiragana and kanji on a blackboard at like a school.

In manga I usually see the sound effects in katakana while the speech bubbles are a mixture of all three alphabets, with (usually) more hiragana and kanji over katakana (unless there's alot of borrowed words, or a main character's name is in katakana).

But yeah, you see all three in anime/manga -- and maybe even a little bit of roomaji.
    Music is my santuary, music is my blanket
    三日坊主*傍目八目*外柔内剛

Newbie cloud_902 may be famous one day cloud_902 may be famous one day cloud_902's Avatar
    Thanks

so all those 3 languages are mixed into 1?

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

They're not languages, just forms of writing. All of them make up the Japanese writing.

Thanks

Ow ok...so they are just 1... so in order to read japanese you have to all 3 alphabets? men i have a lot of studying to do....(^_^)

Otaku Heartless_mage may be famous one day Heartless_mage may be famous one day Heartless_mage's Avatar
    Thanks

i know i am trying to learn japanesse from my grandmother and it is close to impossible

Click here to be Myspace groupies......lol
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)This is the Bunny Lord. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_902
    Ow ok...so they are just 1... so in order to read japanese you have to all 3 alphabets? men i have a lot of studying to do....(^_^)
    Yup, that's about right.
    Nobody said it would be easy anyway. Ganba~!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast