+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BJDs

Newbie SilverSugar is off to a good start SilverSugar's Avatar
    Thanks
    That picture made me laugh so hard for some bizarre reason. I blame a lack of sleep and eating too much sugar. *shifty eyes*

Anyway...

You can buy BJD's online, but I can't read Japanese, and would much rather be able to get a custom doll when I go to the store in Japan and have my friend help me out with the process.

The only way to order the custom one that I really want is in an actual store. Plus I'm not going to pay for shipping and wait that long. I'm too paranoid about what could happen to it in transit. The dolls are too much of an investment for me to risk anything like that, but that's my personal opinion. I've heard great things about shipping and ordering them online, but it's not my style. At least for my first one. *sigh* God I need a job...

The dolls cost anywhere from $700 - $1500, more or less, depending on what size, detail, face up (make up), eyes, wig, and other such extras... I'm still learning about them and am not an expert. Any further questions, about price at least, are probably best directed towards the BJD-Club on dA or the Den of Angels forum (both linked in my introductory post above.
    Last edited by SilverSugar; Apr 04, 2009 at 03:47 PM.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: BJDs

those look like they were based on Blythe dolls, a doll made in America in the 1970s but didn't gain mainstream popularity. they've been a huge underground hit becuz they're super cute and artists, crafters and those types love dressing them up in all sorts of ways.

main site:
    THIS IS BLYTHE | HOME

an article that explains it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blythe_(doll)

Thanks

Neither website loaded for me at the moment... I'm on dial-up so these things take time and I'll get around to it eventually.

Although I'm not entirely sure I believe your argument as Ball-jointed doll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia dates the first ball jointed dolls are from 1800-1900 in Europe. With more modern dolls of this type at around 1930 in Germany with the first of the Asian ones being marketed around 1999. So I'd be hard pressed to say that any one company started it considering the long history actually.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

^_^ oh! well you're right it wasn't one company that started the doll, but Blythe is the one making a huge comeback, at least on the crafty scene~

and also the way peoples like to customize them result in a similar fanfare to Blythe dolls.

^_^ so i guess the just look like Blythe dolls, and that's it~

Thanks

Heh. That's pretty neat.

I'm really getting into things that you can customize. I have a few other things from Japan that are like that, although getting a BJD would probably be the most fun considering everything down to the eyes are modifiable.

As for the Blythe doll, is it just the clothes that people like playing around with? Oh yeah, and I meant to ask earlier if you had one. Since they weren't as well known as other dolls I figured you either had one or knew someone else that did.

Thanks

^_^ no, i don't have one, they're just very popular in this craft magazine i read!

and the people who do have them like go crazy! not only do they make their own clothes, but also change eye color, apply make up, put in new hair, style that hair! i'll try to find some pictures sometime, but it's really crazy!

^_^ one thing about Japan and America, we both love to dress stuff up~

Thanks

<edit> I forgot to add that I'm really sorry I took so long to reply. I don't get a lot of time on the computer and when I do--dA and my RP forum eat most of my time. Since I haven't gotten sucked into Anime Online as much as I would have liked...it's on the back burner at the moment. I will try to put more of an effort into posting though.</edit>

Nice. What magazine?

That's basically what the people do with Dollfies, only they were made for that purpose I believe. The dolls really are similar, although I really like the styles of the BJDs more so than the Blythe--but then again it could be that I'm obsessed with Japan (and I was only able to load one image of the other unfortunately).

I really wouldn't be the type to like dolls otherwise I'm sure. That or my girl DNA is finally kicking in? Ha ha ha. Were you able to look at the dA link I posted above? If you like crafty things, then that's definitely a group to follow! (I can't remember if guests can view accounts or not, but if you have one--you should add me to your Watch so we can be friends. *is also SilverSugar on deviantART*)

I'm actually pretty handy myself and eager to learn more about sewing. I've made a few plushies and I have a pattern for a cloak I wanna' make. Mostly in practice so I can make clothing for my BJD when I get one.
    Last edited by SilverSugar; Apr 14, 2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Wanted to add information.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast