+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cultural Klimbim

Devoted Otaku ZeRoGravity may be famous one day ZeRoGravity may be famous one day ZeRoGravity's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Cultural Klimbim

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Dhabi View Post
    You know what's funny? In Chinese culture, they hold the chopsticks as close as they can to the bottom! Ain't that quirky?
    What? No one in my family would ever hold chopsticks like that.

Decapitation?DontBePicky! Raimann may be famous one day Raimann may be famous one day Raimann's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Badlywornshoes View Post
    Badlywornshoes reporting in with more weird Japanese culture oddities, stories, trivia, and klimbim (just like in the old days! woohoo!)

There's a joke in Japan, it seems, about wooden chopsticks. Apparently, many foreigners (and Japanese people from the Osaka region I found out later) have a horrific time splitting apart wooden chopsticks, or getting an even break. I would notice a lot of the time when I went into a sushi bar or some place (especially Yokohama), everyone would stare at me while I broke my chopsticks. This seriously turned into a running gag after about two weeks straight. Fortunately I'm really good at breaking them in perfect halves, but I do tend to concentrate hard on it when people are watching me. I just imagine that anime vein bulging in my forehead while I'm sweating nervously to get it right.

lol same problem. i think that the groove between the chop sticks should be bigger cuz when i split mine, they come nice at the bottem but at the top go zig zag. and i hold my chop sticks wrong, like a pencil, cuz its easier to manuver. i was once atta sushi bar with my white friend (Spin Da Ish Knows he's rele white) and he tried eating with chop sticks and he was messing up so much that a lady came over and did a trick where she put paper at the top bounded by a rubber band. can u explain, how is that a trick?

something like that, except instead of plastic it was a napkin

Want Credits Fast? Love The Thrill Of Gambling? Then Come On Down And See For Yourself!
    http://www.animeonline.net/f5/nfl-football-31440/

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raimann View Post
    lol same problem. i think that the groove between the chop sticks should be bigger cuz when i split mine, they come nice at the bottem but at the top go zig zag. and i hold my chop sticks wrong, like a pencil, cuz its easier to manuver. i was once atta sushi bar with my white friend (Spin Da Ish Knows he's rele white) and he tried eating with chop sticks and he was messing up so much that a lady came over and did a trick where she put paper at the top bounded by a rubber band. can u explain, how is that a trick?

something like that, except instead of plastic it was a napkin

That trick is used to make it easier for beginners. With the paper/cardboard between the chopsticks and the rubber band around it you create something that resembles a pair tweezers. Like that you only have to put pressure on both legs of your chopstick 'tweezers' to pick up your food.

Otaku Bow Adventure Champion OdysseanPromise may be famous one day OdysseanPromise may be famous one day
    Montclair, NJ (School), Severn, MD (Home)
    Thanks

Huh, and I always thought that "Osaka" from Azumanga Daioh couldn't get her chopsticks just right because she was a ditz. Turns out she was genetically predisposed to an inability of breaking chopsticks!

Newbie Badlywornshoes may be famous one day Badlywornshoes may be famous one day Badlywornshoes's Avatar
    In a cardboard box. With hand-drawn windows.
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: Cultural Klimbim (AZUMANGA SPOILER)

Quote Originally Posted by OdysseanPromise View Post
    Huh, and I always thought that "Osaka" from Azumanga Daioh couldn't get her chopsticks just right because she was a ditz. Turns out she was genetically predisposed to an inability of breaking chopsticks!
    SPOILER:

That's okay! Chiyo teaches her how correctly in the end!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2