Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Effective ways to learn Japanese?

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Effective ways to learn Japanese?

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wolf View Post
    I was thinking about this. But if you do not know japanese once you move there, how will you know anything about anything?
    You will need to take lessons there as well of course. But because Japan and Japanese is all around you it is easier to learn and immerse yourself.
    Try to stay away from the major cities because English is considered fashionable and in such a cosmopolitan area it's harder to immerse yourself in traditional culture.

~always by your side~ Radarix Champion, Virus 2 Champion, Virus 3 Champion fireandice is off to a good start fireandice's Avatar
    Thanks

I have to agree with going there is most likely the fastest way but most people can't do that. But I have to agree with angelic_gurl with the watching the anime with the sub titles on. If you watch enough of them that way you will notice the same things and catch phrases used alot and that should get you started.

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fireandice View Post
    I have to agree with going there is most likely the fastest way but most people can't do that. But I have to agree with angelic_gurl with the watching the anime with the sub titles on. If you watch enough of them that way you will notice the same things and catch phrases used alot and that should get you started.
    I see how that could be considered an effective way to learn Japanese. I had a friend who watched anime literally 24/7. She watched it in Japanese, with English subtitles and eventually started to understand a lot of what the characters were saying without reading the English subtitles.

That's smart, but I don't think it would help much. A lot of the times the translations aren't accurate.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    I wanna learn japanese, but in a way i wont get frustrated. Are college courses in japanese a good way to learn? Anyone have expierence with these classes. Anyone reccomend any methods of learining? Dude the other day ive gotta admit i was so envious of this chick that just walked into our lifeguard meeting speaking japanese, i was blown dude. I wanna learn so bad! Does it take long to learn?
    Depending on how you study, it can take a long time or a small amount of time. I've been teaching myself--studying on my own--for the last since I was thirteen. Holy crap, has it really been 14 years???

I'm still not quite that fluent in the language, but I could get around in Japan. I know enough to survive and have small conversations. I think it would've been different if I had a Japanese teacher. When you teach yourself, you don't really know how to properly speak the language like the natives--unless you've got one of those learn Japanese CDs (which I just recently accuired). And text books can only take you so far.

What I do for the most part is read the massive amount of Japanese language books I have, take MAD NOTES, and watch subtitled anime to get a feel for the language (i.e: accent, tone, etc...) I still need to work on my writing as well. I focused so much of my time on spoken language, that I can only write about 40-50 kanji characters, and I can only write in katakana.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    Depending on how you study, it can take a long time or a small amount of time. I've been teaching myself--studying on my own--for the last since I was thirteen. Holy crap, has it really been 14 years???

I'm still not quite that fluent in the language, but I could get around in Japan. I know enough to survive and have small conversations. I think it would've been different if I had a Japanese teacher. When you teach yourself, you don't really know how to properly speak the language like the natives--unless you've got one of those learn Japanese CDs (which I just recently accuired). And text books can only take you so far.

What I do for the most part is read the massive amount of Japanese language books I have, take MAD NOTES, and watch subtitled anime to get a feel for the language (i.e: accent, tone, etc...) I still need to work on my writing as well. I focused so much of my time on spoken language, that I can only write about 40-50 kanji characters, and I can only write in katakana.
    That sounds like a very time consuming and, in the end, wrong way to learn it.

Just to read a newspaper you need to know about 1945-1950 Kanji.
    Hiragana is much more important to know than Katakana.
    14 years!? Crap, in college you have your masters (provided you don't fail) in 4 years.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    That sounds like a very time consuming and, in the end, wrong way to learn it.

Just to read a newspaper you need to know about 1945-1950 Kanji.
    Hiragana is much more important to know than Katakana.
    14 years!? Crap, in college you have your masters (provided you don't fail) in 4 years.
    Yeah, I know. But it's like I said; teaching your self Japanes if much different than having a teacher. I've only gotten katakana down, just because it's easy to remember. I know a good chunk of hiragana, but not all. I never really taught myself how to write until about 4 years ago, so I'm still working on it.

I plan on taking an actuall class one of these days, and I want to go to Japan as well--I hear if you submerge yourself in the country's culture and people you learn the language faster.

The way I learn IS time consuming and it is kind of painstaking, but I don't think it's the WRONG way. I've learned alot over the last decade or so. And it could be worse. I could've used the time I spent studying on doing drugs instead, LOL.

Otaku gigi2005 may be famous one day gigi2005 may be famous one day
    Thanks

[COLOR="LemonChiffon"]I was thinking about this. But if you do not know japanese once you move there, how will you know anything about anything?
    Even if you don't now the language than you wil learn it eventualy, you wil pik up the language by observing and the reactions of people.
    It's a bit dificult to explane but it really works plus you have no other way to comunicate so your forced to learn the language, and if you already speak some of the language then you wil learn it pretty quickly 3 to 6 months give or take.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

I was thinking about this. But if you do not know japanese once you move there, how will you know anything about anything?
    You know, it's actually possible. There are people who pick up Chinese dialects by just being around Chinese speakers, even if they didn't know a word of Chinese to begin with. Happens all the time. My sister was like that too.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast