Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Effective ways to learn Japanese?

Newbie cheekyboy is off to a good start cheekyboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Effective ways to learn Japanese?

join the airfroce .and ask for a orders there..i did and 3yrs later my japanese is goodenough to pick up all the hott japanese girls. yatta yatta yayo!!!~!!

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    Change that "well-versed in English" to "understandable in English" because many Japanese teachers aren't good at English. They can communicate and you understand them but that's about it.
    I know that. But I meant to say that if the teacher's English proficiency is pretty good then it'll be EVEN better.

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Most effective way huh? Definentally what Hassun's post states about going to the country and immersing yourself into the culture there.

Whether or not you know enough to survive depends on each individual. Of course I could go on about the whole adapting process of a human being but that is just a worthless and pointless since you are most likely not looking for that answer.

College classes would be a descent start if you haven't been able to recieve tutoring or language classes ahead of that time at an early age. Especially classes at a University where there is overseas class courses..wow it is late and I can't even think clearly here.

I would definentally suggest college classes since they can really involve you in situations where you can actually encounter the culture of the Japanese without ahving to take the leap solely by yourself. Not only is studying with a large number of people more comfortable, but it can also open doors to allowing you to study more proficient and frequent.

These depend on who you are individually and what resources you can tap into. Most community colleges I have come across don't have many foreign language courses; mostly french, spanish, english, and..idk..sign language ..maybe.

If you are starting with college classes, get the requirements and then move to a university so that you can get some experts working in it. If all else fails or you can't aquire these things, find a private tutor or take some Aikido classes - Martial arts of the sword

If all else fails and you can't get the hang of it..I suggest you stand at the sidelines and just stick with subtitles and hope that in 30 years you will learn enough to order a dirnk.

Otaku Warthog Launch Champion Rook may be famous one day Rook may be famous one day Rook's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tbaism View Post
    Most effective way huh? Definentally what Hassun's post states about going to the country and immersing yourself into the culture there.

Whether or not you know enough to survive depends on each individual. Of course I could go on about the whole adapting process of a human being but that is just a worthless and pointless since you are most likely not looking for that answer.

College classes would be a descent start if you haven't been able to recieve tutoring or language classes ahead of that time at an early age. Especially classes at a University where there is overseas class courses..wow it is late and I can't even think clearly here.

I would definentally suggest college classes since they can really involve you in situations where you can actually encounter the culture of the Japanese without ahving to take the leap solely by yourself. Not only is studying with a large number of people more comfortable, but it can also open doors to allowing you to study more proficient and frequent.

These depend on who you are individually and what resources you can tap into. Most community colleges I have come across don't have many foreign language courses; mostly french, spanish, english, and..idk..sign language ..maybe.

If you are starting with college classes, get the requirements and then move to a university so that you can get some experts working in it. If all else fails or you can't aquire these things, find a private tutor or take some Aikido classes - Martial arts of the sword

If all else fails and you can't get the hang of it..I suggest you stand at the sidelines and just stick with subtitles and hope that in 30 years you will learn enough to order a dirnk.
    How will Aikido classes classes help? And do unerversites teach you how to be fluent in japanese or just enough to get around? Cause i think it would be nice to get a career as a translator, do they get paid much?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    How will Aikido classes classes help? And do unerversites teach you how to be fluent in japanese or just enough to get around? Cause i think it would be nice to get a career as a translator, do they get paid much?
    Aikido is a Japanese form of martial arts. In some associations, if you become a master of Aikido in the U.S., you are recognized as one in Japan. You get first hand scolding and knowledge fo the Japanese culture in these classes, but they are practically self taught since you have to maintain self discipline and control to be able to get anywhere here. Since Japanese is commonly used for scolding, orders, teaching, and the good such and such, some vocabulary will be drilled into you just as much as the training.

The option of Aikido was actually sort of a joke/preference. I just mentioned it because the form of martial arts can tie together with Japan quite easily.

Yes Universities can teach you how to be fluent. The language courses have numerous classes and can also allow you to experience overseas training as well. It depends on the person whether or not they will become fluent with the courses, but you will not be able to advance if you can not progress through the classes. This isn't highschool where just any retard can walk in and pass with a D. You have to be willingly to participate and meet expectations. Some teachers here just won't give a damn if you fail or not.. they are still getting paid.

Being a translator can be quite fulfilling and rake in a descent amount of income. Most countries of the U.S. are always looking for a good translator and the language you specialize doesn't necesarrily ahve to be the one they are looking for.

One of my friend's husband speaks portugues and the company who hired him wanted Spanish speaking translator. He told them the mistake but they said "You are hired anyways..we want anything right now" and he has been working as a translator for about 6 years puling in around 60-80k a year.

This is just an example but I doubt everyone can do this. Being a translator could be some difficult work. My friends husband for example usually takes 3-4 day long overseas trips..almost every other week for his job. Again it depends on the person and what resources you can tap into/are availabe.

Otaku Warthog Launch Champion Rook may be famous one day Rook may be famous one day Rook's Avatar
    Thanks

Aikido is a Japanese form of martial arts. In some associations, if you become a master of Aikido in the U.S., you are recognized as one in Japan. You get first hand scolding and knowledge fo the Japanese culture in these classes, but they are practically self taught since you have to maintain self discipline and control to be able to get anywhere here. Since Japanese is commonly used for scolding, orders, teaching, and the good such and such, some vocabulary will be drilled into you just as much as the training.

The option of Aikido was actually sort of a joke/preference. I just mentioned it because the form of martial arts can tie together with Japan quite easily.

Yes Universities can teach you how to be fluent. The language courses have numerous classes and can also allow you to experience overseas training as well. It depends on the person whether or not they will become fluent with the courses, but you will not be able to advance if you can not progress through the classes. This isn't highschool where just any retard can walk in and pass with a D. You have to be willingly to participate and meet expectations. Some teachers here just won't give a damn if you fail or not.. they are still getting paid.

Being a translator can be quite fulfilling and rake in a descent amount of income. Most countries of the U.S. are always looking for a good translator and the language you specialize doesn't necesarrily ahve to be the one they are looking for.

One of my friend's husband speaks portugues and the company who hired him wanted Spanish speaking translator. He told them the mistake but they said "You are hired anyways..we want anything right now" and he has been working as a translator for about 6 years puling in around 60-80k a year.

This is just an example but I doubt everyone can do this. Being a translator could be some difficult work. My friends husband for example usually takes 3-4 day long overseas trips..almost every other week for his job. Again it depends on the person and what resources you can tap into/are availabe.
    Cool, and in a unerversity how and why can i get overseas to learn? Also how long are you overseas and how do you complete your other courses? Is there like a special program for it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    Cool, and in a unerversity how and why can i get overseas to learn? Also how long are you overseas and how do you complete your other courses? Is there like a special program for it?
    Answering questions that are indivdually optional or depend on the 5 W's isn't necesarrily an easy task.

Most community colleges don't offer overseas training because they are usually meant for you to get a little experience and move onto a university. They really just want you to learn the basics, because that is all an associates can really do in my opinion. If I insulted anyone I don't really care because, one I am tired, and second, because the truth hurts and I don't care to lie often.

Community colleges lack in funding for the students and/or don't have many options for courses. Universities give more advanced courses, so with them comes the benefit of diving deeper and gaining more experience in what fields you want. Going overseas isn't necesarrily the freshman option, since you are expected to reach the requirements and or have the ability to participate without someone holding your hand.

The overseas program can be a sepcial program or just one of the field trips for the course. You can be sent over as an exchange student for a couple of weeks to a couple of years. It all depends on what your options are.

Becomming an exchange student you can be housed in a hostel or an apartment building of one of the locals and take classes in the country as if it were in the U.S.. Only difference is that you are in a foreign country. You will learn the language, live breath, study, learn, and work the culture.

The field trip thing can last from a week to a few weeks or even months,. It depends as I have stated before. You will experience the Japanese culture..second hand at most usually. First hand experience is usually the basic tourist destinations and/or being involved to only certain extents.

In a community college these benefits are usually only given to the very few with high GPA's and only to specific people. The first 50 people who applied and are of ages 17-67. This means even if you were first in line, it doesn't necesarrily create a spot on the list for you.

I would check out info for the colleges surrounding you or dive deeper into what colleges you might be able to enter around the country. You can always move.

Keep on asking if you want, don't let my attitude get to you. Just remembering how I wasn't able to get on the thist. Stupid old people..always taking my stuff.
    Last edited by Tbaism; May 15, 2007 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks

Talking Re: Effective ways to learn Japanese?

Answering questions that are indivdually optional or depend on the 5 W's isn't necesarrily an easy task.

Most community colleges don't offer overseas training because they are usually meant for you to get a little experience and move onto a university. They really just want you to learn the basics, because that is all an associates can really do in my opinion. If I insulted anyone I don't really care because, one I am tired, and second, because the truth hurts and I don't care to lie often.

Community colleges lack in funding for the students and/or don't have many options for courses. Universities give more advanced courses, so with them comes the benefit of diving deeper and gaining more experience in what fields you want. Going overseas isn't necesarrily the freshman option, since you are expected to reach the requirements and or have the ability to participate without someone holding your hand.

The overseas program can be a sepcial program or just one of the field trips for the course. You can be sent over as an exchange student for a couple of weeks to a couple of years. It all depends on what your options are.

Becomming an exchange student you can be housed in a hostel or an apartment building of one of the locals and take classes in the country as if it were in the U.S.. Only difference is that you are in a foreign country. You will learn the language, live breath, study, learn, and work the culture.

The field trip thing can last from a week to a few weeks or even months,. It depends as I have stated before. You will experience the Japanese culture..second hand at most usually. First hand experience is usually the basic tourist destinations and/or being involved to only certain extents.

In a community college these benefits are usually only given to the very few with high GPA's and only to specific people. The first 50 people who applied and are of ages 17-67. This means even if you were first in line, it doesn't necesarrily create a spot on the list for you.

I would check out info for the colleges surrounding you or dive deeper into what colleges you might be able to enter around the country. You can always move.

Keep on asking if you want, don't let my attitude get to you. Just remembering how I wasn't able to get on the thist. Stupid old people..always taking my stuff.
    lol, thank you for this info. But id still like to know a little more. First of all wat did you mean by secondhand? (and i dont plan to go to comunity college except during high school for dual credit to get my basics covered, so i probably wont do any language there)

So once i graduate ill attend a university, how hard would it be to enroll on one of those exchange programs. Are there prerequisites such as x number of yrs studying japanese?

Also is it up to you how long the field trip will last? And who pays for the fieldtrip or exchange program? I also assumje will will take your other classes in japan right?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast