Closed Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Effective ways to learn Japanese?

Otaku Warthog Launch Champion Rook may be famous one day Rook may be famous one day Rook's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Effective ways to learn Japanese?

Quote Originally Posted by Tbaism View Post
    What Hassun is said is very true.

The do usually include an option to go and study, but the time is usually fixed. I mean you can't gain credits or a degree if you don't do anything over there. Time spent overseas can replace credits in certain courses I have seen.

When I say first hand I mean that you yourself are experiencing the culture. You work at a japanese store to earn rent, you live in a house owned by a japanese family, you study in Japan under Japanese tutors, you ...

The secondhand would be almost no different from a field trip. You are a tourists just checking out the sites, listening and following mostly. The extent of breathing and living the culture would to play Dance Dance Revolution in an arcade or get some lessons in the traditional Japanese tea ceremony with 20 other of your fellow students.

Since Hassun said the options of studying abroad are optional, it can be fairly easy. It depends on where you are and how popular the program is. Even then, you can apply to 'Studying Abroad' courses held by hostels or associtations sponsored by the country itself. The requisites are determines by the course. Some will let you set out to Japan within the first semester, but most will have you meet some requirements first. A specific number of of semesters or how fluent you are at speaking the language.

This I found very exciting actually. If you want, just do a search for Study abroad and you can find a whole list of these associations and programs.

The time you spend over the is usually fixed. You might be able to determine how long you stay, but it will most likely be if you want to leave early. Staying longer might involve a process, but how long you stay abroad is usually related to what degree you want.

The people who pay for it are usually not yourself I believe. That is what I was told anyways. Again though, you are supplied with opportunities to live there even fi you did have to pay for it. You could elave the U.S. with nothing and there will be a job waiting for you. Your personal cash or what not is your business, people won't pay for you new set of makeup or everynight parties.

With the other classes..yes you will most likely study your other ones as well. The studying abroad programs are convenient when you want to learn about the culture, but you can still experience all of that and still learn your other courses.

Very exciting stuff people. I would recommend checking out this info for anyone willing or interested in participating in Studying abroad. Remember, Japan isn't the only place in teh world, so the globe is your play ground.

Rofl - Everyone has to respond to Hassun's post. I give the details and 1 person respond. Hassuns writes 2 sentences and he gets them all. Feel so lonely.

And thank you for this info, if you know of some programs like this already could i have the info. I will also be lookin myself. TankYu!

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    That's because everything you say can be compressed into those 2 sentences I say.
    I am the mere grasshopper! Thankyou sensei. LOL

By the way..for those who enjoy details!!!!

You can also study abroad during highschool as well. Paying for the trip can be funded by the Universities themselves and/or finacial aide.

The programs and list of Universities are growing! Get out there and fulfill your dreams. Just glancing around I have seen that Texas, Massachusettes, Michigan, Missouri, Illinois, Florida, California, Oregon, Ohioh, N.C and S.C, have programs. there are more I assure you..if you can name a state, there is probably a program there. If not, you can always apply for some scholoarships or programs via the internet.

Just search the web "Study Abroad Japan" or "Study Abroad". Add the name of your state as well to minimize the search results.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

People really underestimate the powers of Google. :S Use keywords like "japan study abroad", "japan study exchange", "japan college", etc. You're bound to find something that catches your eye.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Most effective way huh? Definentally what Hassun's post states about going to the country and immersing yourself into the culture there.

Whether or not you know enough to survive depends on each individual. Of course I could go on about the whole adapting process of a human being but that is just a worthless and pointless since you are most likely not looking for that answer.

College classes would be a descent start if you haven't been able to recieve tutoring or language classes ahead of that time at an early age. Especially classes at a University where there is overseas class courses..wow it is late and I can't even think clearly here.

I would definentally suggest college classes since they can really involve you in situations where you can actually encounter the culture of the Japanese without ahving to take the leap solely by yourself. Not only is studying with a large number of people more comfortable, but it can also open doors to allowing you to study more proficient and frequent.

These depend on who you are individually and what resources you can tap into. Most community colleges I have come across don't have many foreign language courses; mostly french, spanish, english, and..idk..sign language ..maybe.

If you are starting with college classes, get the requirements and then move to a university so that you can get some experts working in it. If all else fails or you can't aquire these things, find a private tutor or take some Aikido classes - Martial arts of the sword

If all else fails and you can't get the hang of it..I suggest you stand at the sidelines and just stick with subtitles and hope that in 30 years you will learn enough to order a dirnk.
    I don't know about where everyone else lives, but here the public school district offers language classes for adults as well as children. They have Japanese 1, 2 and 4. Don't ask me--I don't know why three isn't a course. I was gonna register for classes, but I missed the deadline.

Anywho, I figured it's something you guys might wanna check out.

Otaku Warthog Launch Champion Rook may be famous one day Rook may be famous one day Rook's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    I don't know about where everyone else lives, but here the public school district offers language classes for adults as well as children. They have Japanese 1, 2 and 4. Don't ask me--I don't know why three isn't a course. I was gonna register for classes, but I missed the deadline.

Anywho, I figured it's something you guys might wanna check out.

Well i live in El Paso TX, so it being a border city its very unlikely that there is anyone who knows any other language other than spanish that is native to that tongue. So learning oppurtunities for japanese here are about nil. Does anyone know if UNM teaches Japanese?
    Last edited by Rook; May 16, 2007 at 05:05 PM.

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    Well i live in El Paso TX, so it being a border city its very unlikely that there is anyone who knows any other language other than spanish that is native to that tongue. So learning oppurtunities for japanese here are about nil. Does anyone know if UNM teaches Japanese?
    Alrighty this is probably going to be the last time I will answer questions concerning individual programs and the such.

"UNM offers eight different areas within Foreign Languages and Literature:
    Chinese, Classical Studies (Latin and Ancient Greek), Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies, French, German,
    Italian, Japanese, and Russian." - This is straight from one of the UNM information pages, but this was a 5 second search so I can't definentally say this is reliable.

Now if there are any more questions concerning the college near you, a quick search on the web can answer most. I don't know, maybe a few e-mails or even a phone call to the management offices can help you out.

I really wouldn't mind naming off every single individual college and program out there, but it is a waste of space.

College is about independence and risk, laying the foundations for succeeding in life. How about we start with the basics of gathering information by ourselves.

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

Alrighty this is probably going to be the last time I will answer questions concerning individual programs and the such.

"UNM offers eight different areas within Foreign Languages and Literature:
    Chinese, Classical Studies (Latin and Ancient Greek), Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies, French, German,
    Italian, Japanese, and Russian." - This is straight from one of the UNM information pages, but this was a 5 second search so I can't definentally say this is reliable.

Now if there are any more questions concerning the college near you, a quick search on the web can answer most. I don't know, maybe a few e-mails or even a phone call to the management offices can help you out.

I really wouldn't mind naming off every single individual college and program out there, but it is a waste of space.

College is about independence and risk, laying the foundations for succeeding in life. How about we start with the basics of gathering information by ourselves.
    Exactly, try not to ask for that anymore guys. Doing a little research on our own never hurt. If you absolutely can't find it, take it to pms and ask if someone can help you. Leave the personal info. about your schools you want to go to and gathering info. on them out of here. Thanks and continue back on topic.
    Attitude of AO MODS, according to beast
    Because they have obtained that level they are arrogant. You have to kep in mind when you talk about these guys they are kind of dorks who probably didn't excel at much and this is their only outlet to flex their muscles. Their egos would suffer no less so the the forum suffers some more. Watch one way or another they will probably repond to this post with a threat. But there are better forums out there. Private messege Zev.

Thanks

Is livng in japan and learning japanese easy, becuase wont there be constant fluctuations in you patience to talk in watever japanese you know instead of english?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast