+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: English?

Newbie spdude may be famous one day spdude may be famous one day spdude's Avatar
    Thanks
    I find that the Japanese really want to speak English to foreigners and will try their best to speak to you in English. If you speak slowly and clearly, then you'll be suprised at how much they can understand.

I think Japanese girls speak better than the men.

Chinese is the most spoken language in the world. BUT, English is the most widespread spoken language in the world.
    Last edited by LenMiyata; Sep 24, 2006 at 02:38 PM.

Newbie crono_chris may be famous one day crono_chris may be famous one day crono_chris's Avatar
    UK, come on you obviously know were in the UK
    Thanks

Re: English?

Yeah, they a few, obviously talk a little english if they are needed to an a few don't at all. I love to go an visit japan, an i'd expect a fair few things to be in english.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mahiru View Post
    You don't really need to know Japanese that well if you are in a major city. When I went to Japan, I decided I would ask people if the spoke English, and if they didn't then I would just talk to them in Japanese. However, that plan did not working, seeing as if the person didn't no English they'd say "Wait!" and run off to go find someone who did ^^;;

That's very true.
    A few years back I was in Kobe, with my mum in SOGO and it seemed almost as though everyone working there couldn't speak English. The first saleslady went to fetch someone else, and that one couldn't understand too well either, and she went to get another person, and in the end we had quite a small crowd gathered. ^^;; Eventually I just tried talking in broken Japanese... you should have seen the looks on their faces when I did. Like they were marveling at a talking newborn baby or something.

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spdude
    I find that the Japanese really want to speak English to foreigners and will try their best to speak to you in English. If you speak slowly and clearly, then you'll be suprised at how much they can understand.
    Yes, that is so true, as much as it hurts me to say.. That's why there are so many jobs for people from international countries, who can speak English fluently. Heh, people here also feel happy when a foreigner speaks Japanese.
    I think Japanese girls speak better than the men.
    Can't agree with that. []
    Chinese is the most spoken language in the world.
    Go Figure. No wonder the Chinese population is so high. []

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL. I think it should be the other way round, that is to say, because the Chinese population is so high, Chinese is one of the most widely used languages in the world.

I'll... agree with spdude. This is purely based on experience - I found that more girls/women were able to speak English as opposed to boys/men. Even in Meitou High School. Even though it's a school that emphasises English-learning, most of the guys were pretty clueless when it came to conversing in English. Of course, there were an exceptional few who spoke really fluently (they surprised me!) but most of the better English speakers were the girls.

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel
    LOL. I think it should be the other way round, that is to say, because the Chinese population is so high, Chinese is one of the most widely used languages in the world.
    I left my statement hanging, hoping all to find the subtle implied meaning, though it seems not so shallow.
    []
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel
    I'll... agree with spdude. This is purely based on experience - I found that more girls/women were able to speak English as opposed to boys/men. Even in Meitou High School. Even though it's a school that emphasises English-learning, most of the guys were pretty clueless when it came to conversing in English. Of course, there were an exceptional few who spoke really fluently (they surprised me!) but most of the better English speakers were the girls.
    In addition to speaking better, they also have cute accents... It, the accent, can even melt you away. But I still stand high among all Japanese girls in speaking English. [] =P =D =R = T =G lol.

Newbie I_Heart_Anime may be famous one day I_Heart_Anime may be famous one day
    Thanks

I'm going to Japan in 2007!!
    It's for the People to People program. [I'll be a student ambassador]
    I get to stay there for 2 weeks & do Lots of fun stuff & learn all about the culture!!
    ^_^ Yay!
    .....But it's not for free....Almost 6 thousand. O.O
    Love,
    Jamie ^_^

Thanks

6 grand for 2 weeks is a huge rip-off. o.O;;
    I only had to pay $2000 to stay there for nearly half a year. And I was supposed to be sponsored by Sime Darby, but something went wrong and AFS never got me a sponsor. The best exchange programs (long-term ones, esp) are organised by AFS and Rotary Club. Sad to say, you can't really learn much in 2 weeks. You'll probably be running around saying hello to random people, squealing at all the stuff you can find in 100-yen plazas, lamenting how expensive food is and not much else.

kedar : LOL, erm, I don't really pay too much attention to their accents... but yeah, it's interesting how Japanese people speak English. While I was there I even had to adapt to the Japanese way of speaking English (with the extra syllables and all) just so they'd understand me better. ^^;;

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast