Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Japanese Food

Newbie Vindice is off to a good start
    Thanks

Favorite Japanese Food

While I was in Japan I made it my personal mission to sample as many foods as I could. I'm curious what other people ate, what they thought of it and other such food-related insights.

Personally I am an Okonomiyaki fan. The place near my school over there was awesome but there's something to be said for Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki (it has yakisoba in it). Pretty much all foods in Japan that are considered 'childish' (such as the ones listed above) are delcious lol.

Fried squid may be my all time favorite food though. I don't know what it is (aside from that amazing taste lol) that makes me love it so much but there you have it.

The two weirdest foods I ate and which I have no desire to try again are Natto (many are familiar with this term - fermented soy beans often mixed with japanese mustard or other condiments to stifle the smell) and Hebo (bees...yes bees like the buzz around and sting you kind) which were stir-fried in a soy-based sauce. The Hebo didn't taste bad but there's just something about eating a bee that makes me cringe. The Natto was beyond foul; I don't see how that's even an acquired taste ~ I'd die before I got used to it haha.

Newbie megapanda1616 is off to a good start megapanda1616's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Favorite Japanese Food

i haven't been to Japan before - although i am dying to go - so i don't really know what real japanese food tastes like, but i guess i like salmon sashimi and other sushis. Also i like ebi tempura and unagi gohan and other donkatsu donburi. Ah, i also forgot gyoza and takoyaki. If i ever get to go to japan, i would like to eat okonomiyaki and japanese ramen, since i usually have korean ones.
    MEGAPANDA1616

Thanks

You named off some really tasty dishes there I musty say. Of course the fish is best there since it doesn't come much more fresh than from Japan. There are some great ramen shops and nothing goes better with ramen than gyoza (IMO) so you've got some good goals there. I swear okonomiyaki is worth the near $2000 round trip ticket for me to go eat it lol. There are plenty more traditional dishes that are delicious but describing them just won't do them justice. If you can speak Japanese or have the time/money to learn then I recommend it. I don't think Japan would have been as fun without being able to converse with the locals and ask them about the best foods (it also helps to know what you're ordering from the menu haha).

Newbie megapanda1616 is off to a good start megapanda1616's Avatar
    Thanks

cool - yeah i really want to try okonomiyaki. here where i live there aren't many diverse range of cuisine. There are lots of indian and chinese but hardly japanese or more exotic food. If only there was around the corner.
    Yes, i really want to have a chance to converse with japanese people since it is fun and they are friendly i hear.
    MEGAPANDA1616

Thanks

Yeah I feel that pain. We have a lot of different ethnic restaurants and the like here but after tasting the real deal it just doesn't cut it (not trying to be snobbish but it is what it is lol). The Japanese people are beyond kind, though of course there are those who don't care for foreigners too much (they are very few and far between). A bit of warning though, they do think that every white person in Japan is American at first so don't be thrown off by that lol. (I had fun responding in German whenever people just assumed I was American - even if they were right it got old after a while)

Newbie missyakemi is off to a good start missyakemi's Avatar
    Thanks

I love manju and mochi those are my favorites. I wish I had the money to go for a vacation, that is on my bucket list right now.

Newbie RazorCraft is off to a good start RazorCraft's Avatar
    Thanks

I also enjoy mochi (I thought it was spelled "mocci or mocchi").

I live in New Jersey, and we have one place waaaay up north, relatively close to New York State, called Mitsuwa, right on the river. Amazing Japanese / Panasian market with a food court and multiple hobby shops. Definitely worth a visit at least once in your life. I have been there a few times and everyone seems to enjoy when I buy them mochi, lol.

Newbie missyakemi is off to a good start missyakemi's Avatar
    Thanks

[QUOTE=RazorCraft;713168]I also enjoy mochi (I thought it was spelled "mocci or mocchi").

I live in New Jersey, and we have one place waaaay up north, relatively close to New York State, called Mitsuwa, right on the river. Amazing Japanese / Panasian market with a food court and multiple hobby shops. Definitely worth a visit at least once in your life. I have been there a few times and everyone seems to enjoy when I buy them mochi, lol.[/QUOTE

Oh that is one place I want to go to. I plan on moving to NJ when i have enough money to move there. I have seen Mitsuwa in Ca. In my opinion I think the one in NJ is alot bigger and there is a lot more stuff in there too. For sure it will be one of my places to go when i get to NJ.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast