+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: History of Japan

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: History of Japan

I would hardly call the list I've just given you "manga" or books for children... they're classical texts that all Japanese History majors are eventually required to read. A majority are nonfiction (at least in part) and a good chunk are historical chronicles.

I prefered learning history by "experiencing" it gradually through literature written by it's participants rather than by picking through textbooks written by crusty old white professors. Textbooks are all fine and dandy, but you are being given very little beyond an outline of events to be memorized to pass tests. Textbooks are designed to be used in conjunction with lectures: they're hardly ideal for independant study.

Most people develop a more personal and emotional connection with the Holocaust from Anne Frank's Diary than from their Social Studies textbooks. I would argue the same can be said of just about anything. And I don't think anyone would discount that the former is, in itself, an important piece of history beyond what can be learned from a list of events and dates.

You're welcome to ignore the advice I gave... but it stands.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tbaism View Post
    The College editions are exactly what I am looking for. The rest don't interest me in the least actually. I am not one to find history uninteresting, especially when it involves the "dry and uninteresting". As you could tell, I wasn't looking for manga or "Japanese History for Dummies", but something as a starter in allowing me to ready myself for the college classes I tend to take in a few months. The Myths I can consider an obvious part of the literature and culture and are a must, but the history is what I am looking for.

Thanks again, but what I am asking for is what I would like to have.
    You have to understand though, Japanese history is VERY hazy up to a certain point. You should really invest at least some time into the Nihon Shoki.

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    I would hardly call the list I've just given you "manga" or books for children... they're classical texts that all Japanese History majors are eventually required to read. A majority are nonfiction (at least in part) and a good chunk are historical chronicles.

I prefered learning history by "experiencing" it gradually through literature written by it's participants rather than by picking through textbooks written by crusty old white professors. Textbooks are all fine and dandy, but you are being given very little beyond an outline of events to be memorized to pass tests. Textbooks are designed to be used in conjunction with lectures: they're hardly ideal for independant study.

Most people develop a more personal and emotional connection with the Holocaust from Anne Frank's Diary than from their Social Studies textbooks. I would argue the same can be said of just about anything. And I don't think anyone would discount that the former is, in itself, an important piece of history beyond what can be learned from a list of events and dates.

You're welcome to ignore the advice I gave... but it stands.
    I clearly stated that Nihon Shoki, myths, legends, non-fiction of the sort were an obvious choice to study. I don't ignore advice or suggestions, but I did ask for specifics. Not to sound ungrateful, but as I stated before, I am looking for the college texts books, editions, and other reading material as such. I can already find plenty of the others on my own, and since I specifically asked for those text books in order to help me in expectations of the classes I will be taking soon, those were what I am wanting most. Almost as if that were just aobut the only thing I was looking for really.

Don't count me as most people. I can experience things just as well as the next person, but I don't need that as a helping hand. Your definition as "experiencing" still falls under the same exact category of self exploration. You didn't experience first hand what is was like at the holocaust, you merely read the book. Don't expect it to be any different when I decide to read a textbook in which supplies plenty of references concerning other materials of value. Perhaps another reason for wanting the textbook?

I understand that Japanese history is VERY hazy to a certain point, just about any piece of history is. There are hundreds upon hundreds of different viewpoints, his, hers, my brothers, my sisters, elderly, the enemy, the ally; I can dive deep enough myself when I care to do so. I pick and choose areas specfically when it suits my tastes.

I would like to point out that not once had I ridiculed any advice or suggestions stated here. I merely pointed you in the direction I was heading and put aside the other. I broke apart what you mentioned and gathered what I needed and or wanted. Just because I said I wasn't interested in the rest, doesn't mean I wasn't going to use that information. Stating that is a means of gathering more information.

Tsurara, your words were manga and children. I merely restated what you said without saying one word as in suggesting everything was.

But it is interesting how you came to that conclusion. Perhaps you should consider questioning yourself rather than me. If at all, I don't care for your opinon on whether or not Japanese history is dry, hard to follow, bland, vanilla; I just want your opinion on the books. If you include, it was very moving or indepth, than that is fine. It should be quite clear that I take a strong interest in the subject and should understand waht I want to know.

Thanks again for the advice.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Man, your professors are going to have a field day with you. Perhaps you can teach their classes for them

For the record, while I may not recommend reading textbooks to courses you haven't taken yet: I'm not a TOTAL idiot, I have quite a few years AND a Japanese Studies degree on you, my friend.

I have taken 20 or 30 credits in Japanese History and Literature and those books I listed WERE my textbooks. As Japanese History is not a terribly standardized or commonly-taught subject, the use of traditional "catch-all" texts in courses is rare and the use of a single standardized text is more or less unheard of. My professors were amazing, the classes were dynamic and the subject matter interesting. I only hope you're open-minded enough to enjoy the class if it doesn't live up to your lofty scholarly standards.

But if you knew so clearly what you wanted and are so willing to stray from it why didn't you just use google?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2