+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Homosexuality in Asia

Newbie Badlywornshoes may be famous one day Badlywornshoes may be famous one day Badlywornshoes's Avatar
    In a cardboard box. With hand-drawn windows.
    Thanks

Re: Homosexuality in Asia

Quote Originally Posted by losangeles
    well, erm... first of all, mind telling where do you from ?

since i'm living in thailand's neighboring country, i thought that thailand's sorta ... erm... quite famous of prostitution,
    i think by watching a movie "the beach" by leonardo DiCaprio would help more or less (???)..... hmm ....

yea, another thing famous in thailand's the transsexual culture, the kathoey you mentioned, and you are right, they are not so agressive unless you give them a hint to .... hahaha.....
    so becareful of your moves when you are with them hah~joking!!~~~~~
    well, here's some movie showing another side of them, in fact, i think the normal side, like "Satree Lex, or The Iron Ladies." and " Beautiful Boxer ".
    they are human also, just facing the problem of hormones, and, some transsexuals are even more fimenine than real women!(than me , at least ...lol)
    and some of them, i think most , are inside out, outside in woman.

last thing, bout the homosexual in thai, we are truely not so vigorous in this, probably because most here are buddhism, which hold the concept of tolerance with the surrounding, unlike christians, which would take homo as offensive.
    but, in the concept of older generation, or should i say more traditional ones, they still cannot stand if they see homo.
    well, for me, i am a fan of yaoi (shionen-ai) manga. hah~
    and this trend is, some how, developing in nations other than japan, among youth, so, our category like us take homo easily, some would even get excited when they see one .... = =||| it's true though....
    homo's not a big deal, i mean, when you are in thai, if you dont go to the places where they gather, like gay bar or something like that.

that's what i know bout thailand, weird but absolutely cute and full of passion.
    yea, just relax and enjoy your journey there, phuket, the world famous tropical island....i have never been there, how wish i could go there too > < ~~~
    well, dont forget to keep an eye on your personal properties, hah~
    Hiya!

Okay so yeah basically you confirmed everything I thought. So thanks. To address your thoughts...

1) I'm from the United States. I teach English in foreign countries as a profession though, so it takes me a lot of places. I've only done Europe so far though (other than a brief period in Japan) so Southeast Asia will be a new experience to me.

2) I have in fact seen The Beach with "Rio-sama" as the Japanese seem to call him. The novel by Alex Garland, which in my opinion is more true-to-life, is definately a good read. If you get around to it I highly suggest reading it.

A quick question: What "neighboring country" are you from? Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, or Burma? I've heard that these countries are very similar, even in language, to Thailand.

3) "Satree Lex" and " Beautiful Boxer " Never seen them. Are they both foreign movies and where can I get them?

4)
    some transsexuals are even more fimenine than real women
    -- exactly. that's what I'm afraid of.

5) You mention "hormonal" problems. Is it actually a genetic thing? Like that they are born with? Or is it simply a lifestyle choice.

6) If you ever wanna come chill at my house in Thailand, that's cool. *laugh* Back when I lived in Arizona, I had all of my international friends trapsing through there all the time. I even had a wandering holy man stay at my apartment for two weeks.

7) I still don't understand where the yaoi / shonen-ai craze comes from. What attracts you to it? Honestly, I'd like to know. I suppose because I am a male looking at two guys kissing would be a bit of a turn off (which is not to say I don't like homosexual romance in manga presented tastefully and romantically). The concept of one man spooning with another man just really doesn't do it for me. And as a woman, I don't know why it would be interesting either as a heterosexual woman or a lesbian woman. Are women attracted to effeminate men? Or are women that find yaoi attractive secretly reflecting the desire to a) make love to another woman, because they think effeminate males are pretty, or b) like to imagine themself as a male making love to a male? o.O ??? Here I'm completely stumped. In fact I am so confused right now I'm going to stop typing.

Newbie losangeles may be famous one day losangeles may be famous one day
    Thanks

pro. in english teaching ?
    cool.... well yoroshiku-ne~

A quick question: What "neighboring country" are you from? Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, or Burma? I've heard that these countries are very similar, even in language, to Thailand.

well, i m from malaysia, hmm connected to south thailand, in thailand, they speak mostly thai-language, which i dont understand... = =
    hmm....i dont think obasan and ojisan there can speak in english though
    in our country, the national language's Malay, it's totally 100% different from thai-language

"Satree Lex" and " Beautiful Boxer " Never seen them. Are they both foreign movies and where can I get them?

i got 1 copy in my house though... hah~ joking~~~
    those are quite old movies, i mean 4,5 years earlier....
    so, i am not sure if u could get(buy or download... ) it from the internet
    they speak in thai-language but english subtitle's available
    or else i wont understand too
    sorry, cant help in this~

5) You mention "hormonal" problems. Is it actually a genetic thing? Like that they are born with? Or is it simply a lifestyle choice.

well, i think both factors contribute, cause i am minoring abnormal psychology in my university, so, we did discuss a bit bout this, yes, both are as important as well, especially childhood experiences, stress in life and so on ...

6) If you ever wanna come chill at my house in Thailand, that's cool. *laugh* Back when I lived in Arizona, I had all of my international friends trapsing through there all the time. I even had a wandering holy man stay at my apartment for two weeks.

...hmm, thought you would be staying in bangkok?
    tooks bout 2 hr flight for me from my hometown to get there
    but the wanderer's thing sounds funny hah~
    did he in the end show you some secret treasure ?
    must share with me !!!

last one ..... hahahaha
    take a breath~
    well, for me, i like yaoi cause i like to see more handsome guys in "one picture"
    lol~~
    weird ? hmm ..... this takes time to explain though....

@ aya-kun~~ hug
    i am from penang ( dont tell me you are from here too ) > < ~~~excited
    lesbian ? gay ?
    hmm i dont know

Otaku Spymonk may be famous one day Spymonk may be famous one day Spymonk's Avatar
    I live in South Africa and i was born in Pretoria.
    Thanks

Well the culture and century and religions we have today make exceptions for allot of things that we like to indulge in our Lust.
    If they go to all the bars and we mingle with them not long we will except the fact that they are there and it won't bother us because we got use to the idea.[Brainwashed]
    We don't necessarily mix with them but we know they are there and that is the biggest problem with society today all the traditions and believes our forefathers followed are slowly getting lost because we as a culture or cultures today are different.The human being is the biggest problem of all the spawning or rise of these disgusting sexual acts and societies. The only ones that can minimize or stop such activities is the Straight ppl and we are not stopping it we are condoning the fact that our children go to schools with gays and are teached by gays and are sharing their whole life around gays.
    This is just faulty if u look at it closely then it would be fine for our children to have parties and chill sessions with mass murderers/drug addicts as well and it would be fine after we got use to it because we will be so brainwashed that we would not even know the difference between what is good for us and what is bad.
    The only reason whey the Christian society and religion is so against
    gays/lesbians/murderers/drug addicts in general is because they live their life’s according to their Lust/addictions and all the stuff that the Bible warns and clearly states as something that is against the will of God. So yeah all Christians want to give glory to God and follow his example not that everybody gets it right but if u read the translated bibles of today it is still very strongly against all that is not of the good but of evil and that is the biggest reason why we will not be able to overcome these things because this is according to me a fact that will not change until the end of days...

The idea that human is afraid of things that is different or not known by them is BS...... it is a dislike in the type in the things they do...
    So like they say Birds of the same feather flock together
    why do u think that is look at animals u don't see the lions walking or sharing food with the tigers do they????? is that a form of racism aswell.

You mention "hormonal" problems. Is it actually a genetic thing? Like that they are born with? Or is it simply a lifestyle choice.
    Nobody has the answer to that it is at the moment just speculation.So yeah what ever the cause of their difference is actions and way i don't think that we will ever know what it is that change them.

my 2c and will ad some more when it is discusted more..
    Last edited by Spymonk; Jun 07, 2006 at 12:21 AM.

Newbie Icy_Wolf may be famous one day Icy_Wolf may be famous one day Icy_Wolf's Avatar
    Thanks

Well put very well put! -claps-
    RAINBOW ^-^

I am not a n00b... I started an account in 2005, but I forgot to go on it...so here I am today ^-^
    -silence-
    your real supportive....

Newbie fayth may be famous one day fayth may be famous one day
    Thanks

im from the philippines and although i do not live there when i go homesexual ppl are frowned upon on. im currently living in england and wel gays are open here and just recently theyve allowed gay marriages...

Newbie nirm may be famous one day nirm may be famous one day nirm's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fayth
    im from the philippines and although i do not live there when i go homesexual ppl are frowned upon on. im currently living in england and wel gays are open here and just recently theyve allowed gay marriages...
    Gays are by far not open in the uk, jesus that is like so so wrong. I will admit there not lynched like they used to be, but they still do not recieve a warming welcome from the majority of the uk, gays are still victimized on a daily basis by the general public and commonly, older generations of families.

Over the past 30/40 years the uk has had a growth of people from different cultural backgrounds coming to the uk. Generally people are slowly coming around to the idea of different cultures, maybe another two or three generations and we will see a much higher rate of tolerance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2