+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Honorifics

~Counting Down the Days~ NevesElocin may be famous one day NevesElocin may be famous one day NevesElocin's Avatar
    Thanks

Honorifics

We all know that the Japanese use honorifics when addressing each other from either anime or manga that we have seen. Does it seem like a good idea? When I think of addressing an upper classmen as sempai sounds ok unless they are concieted. My school made an attempt to use the honorifics system and it went well until that happened. Would you use honorifics if you didn't have to? What do you think of them?

Japanese Honirifics According To Wikipedia"

Our love will go on until the end of time. I will always be yours and you will be mine.

Otaku halo3master may be famous one day halo3master may be famous one day halo3master's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Honorifics

no becuase then i have learn something else and have to study on something else though it does sound like something fun to do i dont think i would use it

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, we use honorifics in English when you think about it. Only I don't think we have nearly as much as the Japanese. And instead of them being at the end they are at the beginning. Like mister would be the equivalent of san. Mister or misses could be also be the equivalent of sensei because we use that for teachers.

So Neves-san, when you say using honorifics. Do you mean using Japanese honorifics in the English language? If so, I think that would be pretty cool. Though, I don't know how well it would spread but I would use it at the drop of a hat.

~Counting Down the Days~ NevesElocin may be famous one day NevesElocin may be famous one day NevesElocin's Avatar
    Thanks

So Neves-san, when you say using honorifics. Do you mean using Japanese honorifics in the English language? If so, I think that would be pretty cool. Though, I don't know how well it would spread but I would use it at the drop of a hat.
    That is the cutest thing ever! When we used the honorifics we used them with English. It was very interesting. At first it was hard to catch on but all the teachers took it up immediatly and it took the students about a week to do it all the time. I think if people understood why it was done and the logic behind it they wouldn't mind using it.

Our love will go on until the end of time. I will always be yours and you will be mine.

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

That is the cutest thing ever! When we used the honorifics we used them with English. It was very interesting. At first it was hard to catch on but all the teachers took it up immediatly and it took the students about a week to do it all the time. I think if people understood why it was done and the logic behind it they wouldn't mind using it.
    I'm glad you think it's cute. But that's pretty neat. I haven't heard that some schools have been starting to use honorifics. I hope it gets to my school! What the heck. I'll just use it on my friends. I already throw them random Japanese phrases at them so they won't mind me using honorifics with them.

Thanks

My schools anime club got it started and requested that the whole school give it a try since we were doing a culture festival. Maybe you could mention it to an authoritative figure and they might be willing to give it a try.

Thanks

My schools anime club got it started and requested that the whole school give it a try since we were doing a culture festival. Maybe you could mention it to an authoritative figure and they might be willing to give it a try.
    Maybe, the bad thing is in my area, anime isn't popular. Not many people know about it. I've dreamed of having an anime club at my school. The thing is I don't think I know a teacher that would support that kind of club at my school. I have formed a little anime club with my friends. It's called Anime Revolution.

Anyway, I think that because anime is not a very well known subject in my area. I don't know if the teachers would be open to it. Most of the people I have talked to about anime have never heard of it and when I try to explain it they put it off as some regular cartoon. It breaks my heart.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

If I don't have to, why should I? I grew up in Malaysia, and we hardly ever use honorifics here, except for the obvious (Sir, Miss, etc) and the occasional "kak" (sister), "bang" (brother) or "dik" (little sister/brother) when you don't know someone's name and are trying to get their attention. But I generally don't refer to upperclassmen as "kak something"; I just call them by name. But when I was in Japan, I had to. I once made the mistake of calling an upperclassman "Yuuji-kun", and I got the stares for a couple of days. +__+ Not only did I use "kun" instead of "san" or "senpai", I also used his first name....... errrrrrrrgh.

+ Reply to Thread