Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: how do you say???

NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: how do you say???

"I love you " uhh I have
    heard it been said in like
    3 different ways.

So like dose it matter on
    where in japan you come
    from or what?

~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Where you come from only affects the dialect you speak in, but in no means does it make any major alterations to the word "ai", which means "love". "Aishiteiru" literally means "I love you", but I've always felt that Asians are a lot more shy than Westerners when it comes to saying things like that, so we say things like "I like you" instead - "(anata no koto) suki desu."

NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Thanks

hmm well I have heard
    it been said on differnet
    animes and stuff and it said
    uhh "dai a suki yo"
    or something like that. idk.
    I dont know if I spelled it right.

~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

Otaku Spooked_Ninja may be famous one day Spooked_Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Re: how do you say???

I Hav only heard of "anata wa daisuki desu yo"
    thats the only version i have heard of

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by P.R. Princes View Post
    hmm well I have heard
    it been said on differnet
    animes and stuff and it said
    uhh "dai a suki yo"
    or something like that. idk.
    I dont know if I spelled it right.

"Dai" literally means "big", and "suki" is "like". So "daisuki" means "like very much". And "yo"......... how should I put it... it works like an exclamation mark.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel View Post
    "Dai" literally means "big", and "suki" is "like". So "daisuki" means "like very much". And "yo"......... how should I put it... it works like an exclamation mark.
    You should be a Japanese teacher. You're pretty good!

For those of you who are probably gonna ask for a new phrase, here's one that you'll probably like. "Nanika kawatta koto atta?" Which is pretty much, "What's up" but roughly translates into "What's goin' on? What did I miss?" Instead of "O genki desu ka?" You can say, "Genki?" Not too many Japanese people speak text-book Japanese. There's also, "Genki datta?" and, "Saikin dou?" Which is also, "how are you?"

I hope I helped a little. ^_^

Newbie AngelMage is off to a good start AngelMage's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akura13 View Post
    yeah, I mostly know ai, konnichiwa, syonnara, all the numbers, all the days of the week, and a few bad words but that's mostly it.....if anyone here knows Japanese, I'd be ever so grateful if you could teach me!!!!!
    Ehehe I just know a few japanese words but not as many as you,so I'd like to learn too.-^-^-"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    You should be a Japanese teacher. You're pretty good!

For those of you who are probably gonna ask for a new phrase, here's one that you'll probably like. "Nanika kawatta koto atta?" Which is pretty much, "What's up" but roughly translates into "What's goin' on? What did I miss?" Instead of "O genki desu ka?" You can say, "Genki?" Not too many Japanese people speak text-book Japanese. There's also, "Genki datta?" and, "Saikin dou?" Which is also, "how are you?"

I hope I helped a little. ^_^
    Hahaha. Thanks, but my Japanese is actually pretty terrible. It's so bad I got placed in an elementary class in college instead of intermediate, which I was hoping to be in. ^^;; Ahh well.

And have you been reading Making Out In Japanese? Because all the phrases you just mentioned were on the first page of the first edition. If I remember correctly........ I don't remember where I've placed my copy.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast