+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: How hard is it to learn Japanese

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: How hard is it to learn Japanese

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    うそ~ じゃあぁこれを呼んで下さい。 訳すのは出来ないと信じる理由がない
    >_<....This is going to be horrible but: "Really~ Then I challenge you with this. Can't trust those who can't translate this"。。。とか。。。ああああ~

I cheated and looked up the meaning of 呼 too coz I haven't learned them yet =(, and 理由 was just too hard a concept to grasp in class so I didn't even try translating it >_<.

[/failed attempt]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Oh my dear fellow AOers who believe that Japanese is easy, you don't know the least of it ^_^. Sure, you can, in minutes, sound like your favorite anime character when quoting Japanese phrases, but can you write down what you just said using as many kanji possible, then translate it without subtitles?

Going to the country and living there for four years without Japanese classes will accomplish possibly a somewhat smooth conversation in Japanese, and the recognition of the more common kanji characters that are everywhere. But I have a family friend who taught there for 30 years and can't read a paragraph of Japanese. He could speak it, though; grammar made a whole lot more sense if you are hearing it used instead of reading about it in a textbook. Those of you who are Chinese living outside of China may relate to this: many can speak Chinese well but can't read it at all.

English, Korean, Arabic and languages with roman-numeral alphabets are quite different, where you learn the alphabet first and are able to read after 3 days..but you have no clue understanding what you just read. The grammar makes it difficult to understand for non-native speakers.

If you're going to study Japanese, be prepared to put aside at least 3 hours of studying for one hour of class. Goodbye, social life XD.

Oh, but I'm not good at Japanese; I failed my new university's placement exam to get into third-level Japanese. Frickin oral exams entirely in honorific and humble languages after a summer holiday of not worrying about Japanese at all.... I don't try hard enough, need to study more.

Korean is way easier, though, for those of you who think Japanese is too hard
    関西は最高やねん

Newbie poisoned is off to a good start poisoned's Avatar
    Thanks

I shall say, as much as Learning NihonGo is hard as much as it is interesting.
    actually i have been studying NihonGo nearly 2 years now.

1st) there are two ways to study NihonGo (A) starting from plain form which would be harder to learn the fascinating formality. (B) Starting from formality till plain form.

2nd) You need lotsa of practicing so you wont forget the vocabulary. cause for the grammar (for me its very easy).

3rd) Yeah surly the kanji is hard as you all know not even Japanese people are able to memorize all the kanjies ^_^ there are too many... but the bright side is: if you learned the basic of the kanjies, you would be able to know the meaning of the new kanjies yet unable to know how would it spelled
    (*_*)o-----(^_^)-o [take that]

4th) you should know if you start with formality it would take you longer time to understand anime. though for japanese people they'd be happy to talk to you formality; so you have to decide ('_' )( '_')

tonikaku, moshi nihongo de otetsudai shimashou ka? watashi ha kokoni imasu.
    anyway if you want any help with Japanese Language, I'll be here

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sei-chan View Post
    I cheated and looked up the meaning of 呼 too coz I haven't learned them yet =(, and 理由 was just too hard a concept to grasp in class so I didn't even try translating it >_<.
    Don't feel too bad :P I made a kanji typo... 呼んで should be 読んで

呼ぶ - shout
    読む - read

呼んで下さい - please shout this
    読んで下さい - please read this

I phail at auto-recognition keyboard :P

理由 - reason (noun)

Newbie Emo_angel may be famous one day Emo_angel may be famous one day Emo_angel's Avatar
    Thanks

It's not easy at all,compared to english,japanese is a very complex language.But,as I have noticed,once you learn the basics(katakana/hiragana,sentence,structure,basic words) you will start to see that it gets fairly easy from there.THEN,you get hit with kanji,and it will make you wanna quit,but don't.Be strong,and hang in there.For example,my motivation to continue studying japanese is the music and hopefully I will go and live there.Motivation is key..

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't feel too bad :P I made a kanji typo... 呼んで should be 読んで

呼ぶ - shout
    読む - read

呼んで下さい - please shout this
    読んで下さい - please read this

I phail at auto-recognition keyboard :P

理由 - reason (noun)
    Lol I saw that the furigana was "yo" and I also wondered whether it was yo as in 'read'.

I'm confusing 理由 with a grammer point where you only do something on the basis of something else/ the grounds to do something, or else you wouldn't be doing it at all. Or I must be thinking too hard. We only touched it a bit at the end of second year so I only vaguely remember it, and it isn't even in the textbook! My teacher threw it at us in case we needed to use it (aka to confuse us more before the finals).

But yeah, Redragon495, ganbatte. And Emo_angel is right in saying that motivation is the key to continue after a year of Japanese. My motivation: Japanese is my major in college lol XD, and I'm hoping to get a job either teaching Japanese and Korean here, teaching English there, or working with businesses helping to translate and interpret. And on the side hopefully thank all the wonderful manga-ka and anime producers for satisfying my hobby by translating some of their works into English, Malay and Korean so they can expand their market. And once I get good enough I'll open up a website translating Jpop songs into English =3.

Taking Japanese just...coz.......that sounds strange :\.
    関西は最高やねん

Otaku Panda Golf Champion Ryoga_TheLost may be famous one day Ryoga_TheLost may be famous one day Ryoga_TheLost's Avatar
    Thanks

And to Ryoga: it's "hiragana", not "hirogana"... which would seem to imply that Japanese isn't so easy for you either ^^;
    Hey Tsurara,

Good looking out for my one typo that you happen to point out. It's good because you may have not gotten the point of what I was trying to make. Which you seemed to get anyways. Thank again and good looking out.

None the less...Japanese is as hard as you want to make it. If you have a strong will to learn it...trust me, you can and it will seem easy.
    Last edited by Ryoga_TheLost; Oct 25, 2007 at 02:59 AM.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoga_TheLost View Post
    None the less...Japanese is as hard as you want to make it. If you have a strong will to learn it...trust me, you can and it will seem easy.
    Then why aren't you fluent? O-o;

Seriously... not a single person who actually knows the language well enough to comment on it as a whole has come up to say "it's easy!" The only people elaborating on the language's simple charms are the people who don't actually know enough Japanese to hold a job in a Japanese company or read a Japanese book O-o;

I know of three people on this site who know enough Japanese to function in daily life without resorting to english at all... I know a handful of others who have demonstrated real knowledge of the most fundimental aspects of the language. Only two people in either of those groups have commented here (Hassun and Seichan)... most (though not all) of the others talking about how easy Japanese is to learn: don't seem to have actually learned that much about the language at all.

For every 30 people I meet claiming to be "fluent" or that Japanese is "easy", only one can actually hold a conversation with me in Japanese. Why is that?

Because in spite of it being a really "Cool" language to know: it's a hard language to learn and takes more time and effort than most are willing to commit.

If it were so easy: less of you would be talking about how much you know and more of you would be able to demonstrate it.

Newbie norio is off to a good start
    Thanks

Japanese Course
    For me is nice course and I'm learning kana and conversation from this site.
    Last edited by Hassun; Oct 25, 2007 at 07:36 AM. Reason: don't advertise

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast