+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Thread: How hard is it to learn Japanese

Newbie ilovenaruto is off to a good start ilovenaruto's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: How hard is it to learn Japanese

Japanese 101 on the college level

(every semester if you're in university)...[/QUOTE]

I am still in high school and I was wondering if you knew of any schools that excell in teaching japanese? I plan on taking a summer class with St. Petersburg College in Florida, and I have tried to study before hand on my own. Any suggestions?

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilovenaruto View Post
    Japanese 101 on the college level

(every semester if you're in university)...
    I am still in high school and I was wondering if you knew of any schools that excell in teaching japanese? I plan on taking a summer class with St. Petersburg College in Florida, and I have tried to study before hand on my own. Any suggestions?
    The general attitude toward foreign language is that it doesn't matter who teaches it since the material is all more or less the same. I don't agree... but you'll find that nearly all universities employ adjuncts and part-time professors (usually the Japanese wives of other professors) for most courses in Japanese departments on the basis that they are "native speakers" and very little else. That doesn't mean they're bad teachers... only that the bag tends to be a bit more mixed and that their teaching background and/or English skills may not be stellar.

Everyone learns differently... I've been taught Japanese by 4 different professors in my University career: 2 I loved, 2 I hated... some gave me As, some gave me Cs... with just a teacher swap my performance in the class would rise or fall accordingly. I have two that write me recommendations regularly and think I'm highly motivated... and have had one deny me a recommendation letter flat-out saying that he didn't think I had "any real interest in learning Japanese". I'm still not sure what made him reach that conclusion... but I'm convinced it has a lot to do with me complaining that he would use nothing but unfamiliar, unglossed kanji we hadn't learned on exams (incidentally, almost the entire class flunked... except the Chinese students ~ who all got As).

For me, anyway, a lot depended on the teacher.

It might take a while to find one who inspires you (or just gets along with you)... so if language is your primary concern, rather than looking for a university with a "good" Japanese program, you should probably be looking for one that will provide you a nice range of selection when it comes to teachers. (ie. a LARGE Japanese department)
    Last edited by Hassun; Oct 27, 2007 at 02:17 PM. Reason: the quoting went wrong

Otaku Panda Golf Champion Ryoga_TheLost may be famous one day Ryoga_TheLost may be famous one day Ryoga_TheLost's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Then why aren't you fluent? O-o;

Seriously... not a single person who actually knows the language well enough to comment on it as a whole has come up to say "it's easy!" The only people elaborating on the language's simple charms are the people who don't actually know enough Japanese to hold a job in a Japanese company or read a Japanese book O-o;

I know of three people on this site who know enough Japanese to function in daily life without resorting to english at all... I know a handful of others who have demonstrated real knowledge of the most fundimental aspects of the language. Only two people in either of those groups have commented here (Hassun and Seichan)... most (though not all) of the others talking about how easy Japanese is to learn: don't seem to have actually learned that much about the language at all.

For every 30 people I meet claiming to be "fluent" or that Japanese is "easy", only one can actually hold a conversation with me in Japanese. Why is that?

Because in spite of it being a really "Cool" language to know: it's a hard language to learn and takes more time and effort than most are willing to commit.

If it were so easy: less of you would be talking about how much you know and more of you would be able to demonstrate it.
    You have GOT to be kidding me!!!! A person can't say anything without you criticizing anything with the Japanese culture. You have to be right when it comes to that culture huh?? You make people fear the language and not even trying. That's horrible. What if that person got the hang of it quick and then took it far enough to become fluent and then say that it was easy.....what would you argue then?? I was commenting that it will be easy if you make it fun and enjoyable, unlike Tsurara making it seem like nearly impossible.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoga_TheLost View Post
    You have GOT to be kidding me!!!! A person can't say anything without you criticizing anything with the Japanese culture. You have to be right when it comes to that culture huh?? You make people fear the language and not even trying. That's horrible. What if that person got the hang of it quick and then took it far enough to become fluent and then say that it was easy.....what would you argue then?? I was commenting that it will be easy if you make it fun and enjoyable, unlike Tsurara making it seem like nearly impossible.
    If someone "fears the language and stops trying" because of Tsurara's posts they probably lack the proper willpower and endurance to get there anyway.
    She might seem a bit bitter about this but the truth of the matter is that there are far too many pseudo scholars who claim they know the language (and use it in horrendous ways) because they bought some kind of self-study course, spent a few months in an evening class or -even worse- watched a bit of anime.

Some people might be able to learn it fast and effectively but those will be lone exceptions to the rule rather than common occurrences.

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoga_TheLost View Post
    And the truth of the matter is that if you start out with a 30 student JAPA 101 class, 15 will continue into the second semester, and only 8 will bother to advance into the second level Japanese class. My second semester of second level Japanese? A big whopping four people, one of which, by the way, mostly taught himself Japanese (I could not follow in a conversation with him; he was too good. Got that way just from reading the textbook and talking to Japanese buddies, too. He might be the exception Hassun is talking about).

The other two copied off of my homework because they didn't want to try.

So part of me hopes Tsurara's remarks will scare off those with weak will, because it's just annoying having a Japanese class dumbed down so those who don't try can follow slowly. It's not that it's impossible, it's just not easy, is all.

It's just the reality of it, buddy. To me Japanese is indeed fun and enjoyable to learn, but it isn't very easy and I have to study alot. It keeps getting harder as you advance, in fact.

And Tsurara is more knowledgable about Japanese and Japanese culture than almost anyone here on AO.net. Why not try accepting what she says as correct, then?
    関西は最高やねん

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sei-chan View Post
    And Tsurara is more knowledgable about Japanese and Japanese culture than almost anyone here on AO.net. Why not try accepting what she says as correct, then?
    Now now, total acceptance is never the right thing to do. Critical thought should be supported here. Providing that a basic intelligence is reached of course.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not an expert by any means... but I have studied the language longer than most, have lived in the country longer than most, have a boyfriend who speaks only Japanese, friends who speak only Japanese, a job conducted primarily in Japanese, a bachelors degree in Japanese Studies with a minor in Japanese language, a handful of language certifications and have been to a number of language conferences...

That doesn't make me infallable... but I think it does give me a wee bit more insight into the culture and language than someone who's watched a few episodes of Naruto, taken a few years of Japanese in high school or went overseas for a summer.

I don't give people advice on math, Science or Sports because I suck at all three and have no relevant experience... but in this realm, I'm pretty comfortable in my own opinions as "informed" ones. They're still just opinions... but I'm not yanking them out of my ass.

... and if people are giving information or opinions that I think they ~have~ yanked out of their ass or have formed through misunderstandings or lack of relevant experience: heck yes I'm going to argue with them.

Newbie poisoned is off to a good start poisoned's Avatar
    Thanks

I really would like to agree with tsurara cause he is talking about facts. but if we believed in facts we wont make progress. (^_^) though it is not as easy as it looks. as I've said & i'd like to confirm: Japanese language is much easier than French.. I can speak Arabic, English, Little bit of my mother language Circassian And lets say not that good in Japaneses..

before i start the Japaneses language i tried to study French .... to tell you the truth (for me) i found it very difficult.. i felt like Joe in Friends series. & I'm waiting to start my Italian courses as soon as i take the Japanese examination in Japan maybe next year.

[-also this is my opinion-]
    what i wanted to say: Obstacles are made by our minds. there's nothing impossible but there's nothing easy. it is a road filled with hard working, but it really worth it.
    BTW anime doesnt provide you with the proper education nor the words you need (i advice you to buy a furigana dictionary) & start translating the songs you like & show it to a Japaneses friend of yours that he knows the real song.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8