+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: I wish to know about things that would be right and wrong to do in public in Japan.

Otaku Waremono is off to a good start Waremono's Avatar
    Thanks

I wish to know about things that would be right and wrong to do in public in Japan.

I'm unaware as to what would be offensive towards the Japanese and so I wish to know what I must do and not do in order for me not to "lose face".
    If your happy and you know it make a kitty!!! =^_^= <Meow!

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: I wish to know about things that would be right and wrong to do in public in Japa

I suggest doing some research online for that, there are way too many items to discuss here. However, I will leave this open as I am sure others will weigh in and I think it is a good subject for discussion.

I will list some sites to help:

Japanese Business Culture, Doing Business in Japan, Japanese business practices and awareness, protocol and Japanese customs, negotiating, business etiquette
    Japanese Customs, Etiquette, and Culture -- U.S. Commercial Service Japan

Both of those are more geared to business relationships but they should shed some light on general differences, as another suggestion, remember google is your friend.

Newbie Ahiko is off to a good start Ahiko's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: I wish to know about things that would be right and wrong to do in public in Japa

PDA in public is a no-no, especially for the more conservative older crowd.

Don't stick your chopsticks into the rice; it's bad luck.

Never wear shoes in a house. They usually require you to wear socks or provide you with slippers.

Slurping food is a sign of appreciation and respect. It's basically a compliment of "This food is delicious," without having to say it. Don't be afraid to slurp, but too much will make you seem barbaric.

When eating the traditional Japanese way with the table on the floor, make sure to sit kneeling properly with your legs tucked underneath you. Your legs shouldn't be sticking out to the side or anything; it's considered improper.

Address people with the proper suffixes. -san is always the safe way to go for people you don't know very personally.

The list goes on and on. xD
    あたしと一緒に遊びたい~

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

So you want to know about Japan eh? xD
    Here is a link, but ignore the first two or three paragraphs, it's just about the poster's life.

So you want to live in Japan? - Japanese Culture and You - Outpost Nine Forums

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer View Post
    I suggest doing some research online for that, there are way too many items to discuss here. However, I will leave this open as I am sure others will weigh in and I think it is a good subject for discussion.

I will list some sites to help:

Japanese Business Culture, Doing Business in Japan, Japanese business practices and awareness, protocol and Japanese customs, negotiating, business etiquette
    Japanese Customs, Etiquette, and Culture -- U.S. Commercial Service Japan

Both of those are more geared to business relationships but they should shed some light on general differences, as another suggestion, remember google is your friend.
    Thank you Moderator-san, I apologize for not making my topic more specific. I heard from a freind that wearing a kimono, left side over the right is a symbol of death...is this true?

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks

Really, as a foreigner, they'll teach you all this when you go over there. Even Japanese themselves (not all, but especially the younger ones) do not know how to put on a kimono (it's incredibly complicated, and needs the teamwork of two people) nor can they stand sitting in Seiza position, legs tucked under. It's fun to try but your legs get numb extremely quickly. I think for a girl if you can no longer stand sitting in seiza, sitting with the legs to one side is fine, just don't ever, ever sit cross-legged. That's a guy's way of sitting.

It's good to learn everything, but they'll understand, and you learn as you go.

I think what you need to worry about most is trying not to say anything offensive, or asking any question that is too direct and personal. It'll make the Japanese uncomfortable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sei-chan View Post
    Really, as a foreigner, they'll teach you all this when you go over there. Even Japanese themselves (not all, but especially the younger ones) do not know how to put on a kimono (it's incredibly complicated, and needs the teamwork of two people) nor can they stand sitting in Seiza position, legs tucked under. It's fun to try but your legs get numb extremely quickly. I think for a girl if you can no longer stand sitting in seiza, sitting with the legs to one side is fine, just don't ever, ever sit cross-legged. That's a guy's way of sitting.

It's good to learn everything, but they'll understand, and you learn as you go.

I think what you need to worry about most is trying not to say anything offensive, or asking any question that is too direct and personal. It'll make the Japanese uncomfortable.
    Ok, but I have another question.
    What would I say to adress someone in Japan that I don't know, would I call them "Hey you!" or....?

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks

To attract the attention or address strangers:
    "Ano...sumimasen ga..."
    or just "ano..." or just "sumimasen..."
    The whole trailing your voice off makes it sound even more Japanese and polite when talking to strangers.

If you do not know the person, but it is an old lady or old man, feel free to use grandmother "obaasan" or grandfather ojiisan to address them. Do not use sister or brother for someone slightly older than you if you do not know them, though, as it could be interpreted as a rude "Sistah" or something like that. It's fine to use with host family or your friend's sisters or brothers.

You should never use the word "anata", although we all know it means you. This is because wives usually use the term when addressing their dear husbands. "Anata~~*giggle**hand over mouth*" Oh, and using "Oi" may be fine if you are a guy and talking to your friends, but girls speak more polite, and they would be seen as rough if they used "oi" all the time, even to their friends.

I'm just making everything confusing, though. Stick with Sumimasen... and Ano... for strangers.

Hope I helped =).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast