Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Japan is a Safe Place... Japan is a Safe Place...

Banned Monkey Jump Champion, Karts Champion, Stagedive Dewy Champion, Harry Potter: The Marauder`s Map Champion, Weasley Breakfast Champion, Grand Slam Shredder Champion, Moon Skate Champion, Field Goal FootBall Champion, DodgeBall Champion, Gasbag Smackdown Champion, Makai Hockey Champion, Monkey Nut Champion, The Ordinary Boys Champion, Traffic Control Champion, Roving Reporter Champion, Prawn Of The Dead Champion, Sky Fire Champion, Musical Lantern Champion, Master Qwan,s Mahjongg Champion, Master Mahjongg Champion, Mahjongg: Alchemy Champion, Flash Tiles Champion, Mahjongg 3D Champion, Mahjongg 2 Champion, Mahjongg Fast Champion, Stupid Space Shooting Race Game Champion The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Japan is a Safe Place... Japan is a Safe Place...

Yes Japan is just as safe as the United States and in certain towns they use to hit people over the head the military and ship them off to military camps and if you said no then they would throw you off the boat and you would die so not as safe as they say it is in Japan.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The GunGrave of Trigun View Post
    Yes Japan is just as safe as the United States and in certain towns they use to hit people over the head the military and ship them off to military camps and if you said no then they would throw you off the boat and you would die so not as safe as they say it is in Japan.
    what the hell are you talking about, man?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    I have to say I'm not convinced at all!
    You shouldn't be.

A few years ago I was in a conversation concerning crime in Japan as compared with other first world countries so I decided to do a little research. I was a little surprised to discover that their crime rate is actually just as high as the rest of us once population density is taken into account. (The actual measure rather then population ratio's. Small spread out area's have less crime then densely compact ones.) I had expected the rate to be quite lower due to the difference in culture and their focus on public shame as a deterrent. Instead I discovered that the cultural difference just changed the face of the crime and the homicide rating was just as high as the rest but was reported differently to save face. In Japan most people who commit homicides kill themselves as well (to save face) however if they kill themselves or are killed by the authorities then they and everyone they killed are listed as suicides (so the authorities can save face too)... and now you know why the suicide rate for Japan is so high. It's not just their teenagers freaking out over school.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    In Japan most people who commit homicides kill themselves as well (to save face) however if they kill themselves or are killed by the authorities then they and everyone they killed are listed as suicides (so the authorities can save face too)... and now you know why the suicide rate for Japan is so high. It's not just their teenagers freaking out over school.
    While I agree that Japan isnt safe... your previous argument doesnt sound like an entirely valid conclusion. It doesnt gel with any of the education I recieved on Japan, the research Ive done or my experiences here.

While the crime rate is indeed speculated to be MUCH higher than reported in certain areas, especially the realm of sexual crimes, the murder rate is rather low... even taking population density into account. Muder-suicide is also a fairly Western idea... Ive not heard of any murder-suicides recently, and nearly all violent crimes make the headlines in one form or another. If murder-suicide were indeed so common, there would be very little need for the death penalty...

Lack of access to firearms is a contributing factor in the lack of -successful- murders... but random acts of violence like slashing are on the rise as is violent youth crime.

Suicide is still a much larger problem than murder... but the only criminals who regularly seem to choose to take their own lives are involved in politics or business and are outed for corruption. Its not uncommon at all for a public figure or CEO to toss himself out of a window upon conviction of a coorporate crime.

Murders per year per 100,000 people -
    Japan - 1.1
    Germany - 3.9
    England - 1.03
    USA - 8.7

population in the UK is 60.6 million
    population in Japan is 127 million

It then follows that there are more murders per year in Japan than the United Kingdom... more than twice as many... but its still in the lower range of nations in the realm of murder.

murder-suicide rates are not currently recorded by any census/statistics bureaus so its difficult to find anything more on the subject than hearsay. A search yeilds no papers or studies done on murder-suicide in Japan... only a handful of articles detailing cases of murder-suicide. Still, gut feeling... and 3 years of watching the news every morning would imply the rate is not particularly high.

Perhaps youre mistaking statistics for group suicide or family suicide as murder-suicide?

Crime in Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Japan Reference - Society - Crime in Japan : analysis per nationality

Otaku jazzy9513 is off to a good start
    Thanks

i dont really no if japan is safe or not but from what i hear its not safe at all

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    While I agree that Japan isnt safe... your previous argument doesnt sound like an entirely valid conclusion. It doesnt gel with any of the education I recieved on Japan, the research Ive done or my experiences here.
    I am not surprised. I had to find a study by someone who had done research on multiple countries by type of crime and population density. Japan was just one the countries covered nor am I sure just what country the researchers were from in any of the studies I looked at. It has been two years so chances are the numbers I read have changed from what I remember. It essentially came down to adding in the murder suicides to the homicide rate and ending up being the same. Just remember population density. If you have been living in a more rural area you might not have seen as much of it and from what the study said most of the homicides were actually reported officially as group suicides and family suicides even when the evidence was that it was a homicide/suicide. It's that "face" I mentioned. What the police report and what happened are often not the same thing in this case.

As for the link suggesting crimes are decreasing in Japan an article written in the Japan Times about issues with the police force being corrupt, not reporting crime, and being unprepared for increased crime would indicate otherwise. That one I read within the year.

I know that it isn't what you hear, that is my point. What you hear and what is reported isn't the reality and we can thank the Japanese cultural attitude of public "appearance" and "shame" for it. Yes there is shame if you are caught committing crimes but there is also shame for the police that have these things happen in their jurisdiction so they have an incentive to pretend it didn't happen. It reminds me of when I was in high school and our principle cracked down on drug use and didn't care who knew it so as a result it got into the papers. In response the principle of the next high school over released a statement that they, unlike my school, had no problems with drugs and it was unnecessary for them to take any such steps. We all laughed our heads off because most of our druggie friends would go over to the neighboring school to buy their drugs from the dealers. What their principle reported was simply not reality and saying otherwise didn't make it true.

As I said before I was surprised to find that the crime and homicide rate was as high in Japan as it actually is since I assumed it would be less based on all the same reporting you are talking about as well. When I did the research tied to population density I found out otherwise. Sorry I can't give you the links but it has been so long I wouldn't even know where to start so believe it or not, your choice.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

During my stays in Japan I could walk down the darkest alleys in the middle of the night in cities like Tokyo, Kyoto, Fukuoka, Matsuyama, Nagasaki, Kurashiki and other places. Something I wouldn't do in many large European cities.

You must never let fear get to you Tsurara.

Thanks

I'm a little flustered that someone can read a few isolated net studies and call it "research" when two degrees in Japanese Sociology and History apparently count for bupkis since I'm obviously being lied to :P

All due respect but... while I may have been fed a sanitized version of Japan from my short stay at a Japanese university, I have found my American education to be both brutally honest and based almost entirely on a proliferation of well-documented evidence... a lot of which I was required to read in order to graduate. Four years of experience living in the nation, fluency in the language and extensive travel hasn't opened any gigantic holes in the information I was given.

:/

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast