+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Japanese Fabric Wrapping

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Japanese Fabric Wrapping

^o^ hey everyone~!

i thought this would be an appropriate thread since the holiday seasons are soon to be all up ons!

How To: Japanese Fabric Wrap

see, instead of using regular wrapping paper, the Japanese government has encouraged this style instead! through folding and knotting, a regular square fabirc can become a beautiful and exoctic wrapping for a special gift! it's a great way to use up scraps, or an excuse to cut old t-shirts that still look great! it's also easy on the enviromnet since they can be used again and again~!

what do you guys think?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abu Dhabi For This Useful Post:

abby724 (Dec 16, 2007), Youth-anime-fan (Dec 16, 2007)

Otaku Evol may be famous one day Evol may be famous one day Evol's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Japanese Fabric Wrapping

still seems more of a functional carrying thing than gift wrapping, but hell I'm lazy so this might work :P I'll probably use the Bin Tsutsumi as I usually give liquor over watermelon as gifts. thanks for the info.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

it's called "furoshiki" and it's usually used for carrying things, not for giving them as gifts (we furoshiki-d the nabe last night to carry it to and from the car and furoshiki our bentou all the time)... though I suppose it's a good idea using it as gift wrap (though I wouldn't recommend giving a furoshiki-wrapped gift to a Japanese person as they will be confused that you've given them the cloth... which they will think you expect back and feel pressured to unwrap the gift in front of you, which is a bit awkward. Not to mention you'll seem cheap and lazy for not springing for real wrapping).

Japanese folks paper-wrap gifts, same as the rest of us.

This is being encouraged to cut down on paper and plastic bag usage: not to cut down on the use of gift-wrapping :P

Otaku Cruisin with crush Champion, Animal Rescue Champion abby724 is off to a good start abby724's Avatar
    Thanks

Awesome! Now I never have to buy another purse again... And all my old, 80s and 90s shirts won't have to lay buried in the depths of my closet for all eternity, either.
    GALERIE : Limited Internet access for certain reasons...

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    it's called "furoshiki" and it's usually used for carrying things, not for giving them as gifts (we furoshiki-d the nabe last night to carry it to and from the car and furoshiki our bentou all the time)... though I suppose it's a good idea using it as gift wrap (though I wouldn't recommend giving a furoshiki-wrapped gift to a Japanese person as they will be confused that you've given them the cloth... which they will think you expect back and feel pressured to unwrap the gift in front of you, which is a bit awkward. Not to mention you'll seem cheap and lazy for not springing for real wrapping).

Japanese folks paper-wrap gifts, same as the rest of us.

This is being encouraged to cut down on paper and plastic bag usage: not to cut down on the use of gift-wrapping :P

>_< really? gah, those damn craft bloggers! they lie to me~! oh well, i'm not in Japan so i don't have to worry about that!

but i do know that Japanese people don't like to unwrap gifts in front of people. ^_^ my Japanese teacher was nice though! when i gave her a Christmas present last year, she said, "Oh thank you! i'll unwrap it now for you." or something like that! she is so nice~!

Newbie squidie72 is off to a good start squidie72's Avatar
    Thanks

I saw something about this in Shojo Beat. It looks really cool. We have wrapped presents in fabric a few times. It's not always real easy.

+ Reply to Thread