Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Hair styles

Abomination Smacky Champion, Celebrity Power Lifte Champion, Crash Test Dummy High Jump Champion, Super Track 2001 Champion, Endless Flight Champion, Drop Kick Champion, Bloody Rage Champion, Dropkick The Faint Champion, Splash Back Champion Spin Da Ish is off to a good start Spin Da Ish's Avatar
    Thanks

Japanese Hair styles

Okay, well i do my hair in a japanese urban fashion everyday of school. Most people at my school don't really hang out with much asians as myself, and my school has an absence of asians . When the see my hair they're like O.O, " Omg u look so asian. " they stare at me like i'm an alien or something O.O but i still find japanese hair really cool and i just wanted to get other peoples opinions on japanese hair styles.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Japanese Hair styles

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "Japanese hair styles"... hair has no ethnicity last time I checked O-o;

Living in Japan, you notice some trends in what's popular (depending on what's on television/what celebrities are getting done): but it's not as if you don't see the same exact hairstyles in Korea, Thailand or New York City.

Abomination Smacky Champion, Celebrity Power Lifte Champion, Crash Test Dummy High Jump Champion, Super Track 2001 Champion, Endless Flight Champion, Drop Kick Champion, Bloody Rage Champion, Dropkick The Faint Champion, Splash Back Champion Spin Da Ish is off to a good start Spin Da Ish's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "Japanese hair styles"... hair has no ethnicity last time I checked O-o;

Living in Japan, you notice some trends in what's popular (depending on what's on television/what celebrities are getting done): but it's not as if you don't see the same exact hairstyles in Korea, Thailand or New York City.
    by japanese hair styles i would mean something in the lines of:

YouTube - Bleach Episode hair styles Stylist Commentary Edition
    YouTube - funny japanese hairstyles #7
    YouTube - asian mullet hairstyle #2

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

So you mean putting too much product in your hair and then mussing it so it sticks up?

Kids did the same thing with their hair when I was eight and went to school in an all-white school in the middle of nowhere ^^;

It's worth noting that these links are all hair-wax company product spots...

Which is sort of like looking at hard-hairspray commercials for a cross-section of American hair styles...

You can get "a hairstyle that is popular in Japan"... but I don't think you can ever get "Japanese hair".

As for people telling you that you "look so asian". You probably shouldn't be proud of catering to and buying into a racial stereotype ~_~; If I met people who thought all asians look like anime characters because that's all they know about asian culture: I'd either laugh at them or be offended.

Otaku Kazaf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Well considering the japan is not as diverse as the USA when it comes to race/nationality...I'm gonna take a guess that the many different/outrageous styles you see are because most of them probably want to be different from one another. But I've never been to Japan...so what the hell do I know, right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaf View Post
    Well considering the japan is not as diverse as the USA when it comes to race/nationality...I'm gonna take a guess that the many different/outrageous styles you see are because most of them probably want to be different from one another. But I've never been to Japan...so what the hell do I know, right?
    The great vast majority of Japanese people have hairstyles that would make them virtually indistinguishable from any other asian from a wealthy urban culture around the world. Take out the obvious color and hair texture difference between respective enthicities and I don't you'd be able to tell a random Japanese person from a random Norwegian person (at least not from the back).

Yes, different styles are popular... but it's not as though an entirely different "hair culture" has arisen here. There are more choppy/thinned out haircuts here at the moment than most other places... but go walk down the street in South Korea, Los Angeles or London and I guarantee you'll see at least three or four women with the same haircuts who have never been interested in Japan in their lives.

To further illustrate: most Japanese salons have foreign fashion models on the posters in their windows ^^;;;;

Japanese people aren't terribly interested in sticking out. They'd rather conform to an image. They find a fashion trend, brand, movement or subculture and emulate celebrities and magazines to the best of their ability. That's why things like fashion and hair become so trend-based. Right now, it's virtually impossible to find a Japanese person out of high school who doesn't have some shade of brown hair... Why? Because everyone else does.

So in spite of being a nation of people who have genetically black hair: most people are brunette O-o; Most of the more stereotypically "Japanese" fashion trends actually belong to very small subcultures and don't represent the "whole" of Japan at all. Most Japanese are the most concerned with looking as much like everyone else in their immediate social group as possible.

Otaku Kazaf is off to a good start
    Thanks

I guess fashion is fashion wherever you go and it doesn't really have to be determined by which nationality you are. People like what they like and that's what they stick to. I think I remember reading that a lot of famous fashion designers consider Japan to have one of the biggest fashion industries/influence around.

Most Japanese are the most concerned with looking as much like everyone else in their immediate social group as possible.
    Maybe that's why they are in that same social group in the first place? I get the sense that maybe they adapt to that social group look so that they aren't bullied or looked at in a weird way. For example Ganguro Girls. I know that they aren't very accepted by the japanese society...thus I bet that when you see one there is bound to be another one tailing behind.

In the end though I believe I get your point. Can't really look at them as a "whole". It's more about the individual. Atleast I think I got your point. haha

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

when i think of Japanese hair, i think of those hair style magazines you see at book stores...

the only difference i notice is that they texture and poof out their hair cuz it's thinner than other ethnicities... but, who wouldn't want hair with more body and and volume? but my favorite asian hair style is back in the woodblock painting days when insanely long hair was the trend! i think that's (for the most part) a very good look for women in general... =_= such a pain to maintain though... but i digres...

um... huh, the only other thing i can think of that was funny about asian hair is that... a while ago i worked at a salon and a asian transvestite came in (what i mean by that? perfectly thin asian body and hair, but literally had no breasts, not just looked like it! hee hee! his name was Jason) and he was looking at hair dyes, my boss suggested a particular shade of red and he said, "Ew no, i'd look like every other Chinese girl!" i giggled immensly at this and he seemed to appriciate that. so it really depends on the trend of the time i suppose.... =_= i had a point here somewhere...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast