Closed Thread
Page 10 of 79 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 60 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese language learning.

Wo chao xi huan ni Mahjong Champion, Shape Game Champion, Solitaire Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion, Looney Tunes Mahjong Champion, Elite Mahjong Champion, MahJong Champion, Mahjong XY Champion mahiru may be famous one day mahiru may be famous one day mahiru's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Japanese language learning.

Quote Originally Posted by sxy_kitten_lover
    This may sound pathetic but I only know 2 words in Japanese.... kie(cute) <dont know how to spell...and I know Konichiwa(hi)
    Huh? I though cute was Kawaii... o.0
    And just because you mentioned spelling, doesn't Konnichiwa have 2 n's? (Not trying to make you feel bad, just wondering ^^;; )
    Wo shi zhen zhen zhen xi huan ni...

Thank you Equinn!! ^-^

Otaku Sage_Se'von may be famous one day Sage_Se'von may be famous one day Sage_Se'von's Avatar
    Thanks

well dang they said they didnt know much......... konnichiwa i wonder if it is inchi or nichi? oh but @sxy_kitten_lover your fine she just likes to get all of the facts ^_^ she knows more than me ^_^

I am a sage....the light of elements

Anti syndicate spike spiegel may be famous one day spike spiegel may be famous one day spike spiegel's Avatar
    Thanks

kaiteki-na to know this thread is helping a couple of people in japanese.
    konbanwa-good evening
    oyasumi-good night
    welcome-Irasshaimase
    I know more but to lazy to type.

"I let all that kind of blood away" Thanks Viper

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sage_Se'von
    well dang they said they didnt know much......... konnichiwa i wonder if it is inchi or nichi? oh but @sxy_kitten_lover your fine she just likes to get all of the facts ^_^ she knows more than me ^_^
    It's konNICHIwa.

What happened to the other Jap thread with loads of phrases?? I remember posting lots of random phrases there, but I can't remember what the thread was.

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks

@Blue_Rebel

I think it's either in some kind of 'non-usable' state or was just deleted because it had been dead for more than two weeks and then someone posted in it making the thread officially locked (and dead) - which I think leads into deletion. The reason I think like this is because I couldn't find the thread even through search.

In situations like these it would be nice to have one thread about the language, not many, like this one and the earlier being separated. Also high moderation should be applied to the thread so that the main points of it could be seen more easily. But that's just my 5 yen.

@LostDemon102:

Don't take this wrong but I'll correct/translate some of the words you said.
    • Konnichiwa - Good day
    • Sayounara - Goodbye (it can be said Sayonara also, but the original is 左様なら・さようなら)
    • Gomennasai - (I'm) sorry
    • Itadakimasu - I'll take it with pleasure (something to say *before* eating the food put out on the table)
    • Onee-san - Elder sister (usually little children can use this to call young women if they don't know their names)
    • Onii-san - Elder brother (same as with onee-san, but with young men)
    • Okaa-san - Mother, a word that can be used by children to address their mother. Also other than children can use this to "point a finger" to a mother of the person he/she's talking to being at the informal pose of a child ("Okaasan ni yoroshiku ne")
    • Oji-san - Uncle / A word that younger people can use to address an older man with a bith of closeness ("Tonari no Oji-san")
    • Ojii-san - Grandfather
    • Baka - Fool / Idiot
    • Baka yarou (was this what you meant?) - Really something you shouldn't use in real Japanese conversation, roughly can translated as "Damn Fool/Idiot"
    • Ikuzo - Not something to be used in usual conversation (more formal should be used in 99.999% of all cases). Really informal form of "Iku" (go) with the informative/ordering ending "zo", roughly translated as "I'll go now!" or "Let's go now!". Something more formal would be like 'Ikou'.
    • Harahetta - I'm hungry (Really informal, I'd use 'onaka ga suita' or at least put 'ga' into the sentence instead), should not be used to people of older age or preferably not at all, because of the informalness. OK to use if you know what you're doing (informalness is sometimes considered pretty rude in Japanese culture).
    • Matte - Wait (the order form of 'matsu'). Usually used with 'kudasai' in normal conversation. 'Matte yo!' or 'Mattero!' are just a bit more rude things to yell if someone's running already - both should not be not used in usual speech (yo is not as rude as ro, though).
    • Temee - Not to be used in speech. A way of calling the person you're talking to really offencively, really hard to translate into English. Like the word 'you', but calling someone really low and offencively.
    • Nanda - Offencive, not for usage. "What's with it?" "What is it?".
    • Nande - Why (there's a reason you're after) ? For what? A bit informal.
    • Naze - Why (more formal, methinks) ?
    • Nani - 何, the heart of all the three words before 何だ、何で、何故. The 'what' word. It can lose it's last vocal like in 'Kono kiiroi no wa *nan* desu ka'

As you can see, many words of those you knew aren't actually so good for daily usage. It's OK if you can understand them in anime, but I'd suggest you to take a look at some textbooks before you'll try to impress someone Japanese with your knowledge. The rudeness of informality is not something to be overseen when we try to learn the language. I've tried to make myself good at it, but I'm still worried if my business letters are rude or not (I haven't gotten any bad comments yet, though (^_^;) - but by knowing that Japanese really don't say anything to 'gaijin's before you've pissed them off big time I'm always a bit worried. They'll just turn their heads and try to think 'It's just another barbarian, he can't understand our culture'). Thank god the usual 'desumasu' is good for everyday speech.
    人生フゥ~!!!

Newbie LostDemon102 may be famous one day LostDemon102 may be famous one day LostDemon102's Avatar
    I'm from the Philippines. It's a country in South East Asia, just like Japan. ^^
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JEEB
    @LostDemon102:

Don't take this wrong but I'll correct/translate some of the words you said.
    • Konnichiwa - Good day
    • Sayounara - Goodbye (it can be said Sayonara also, but the original is 左様なら・さようなら)
    • Gomennasai - (I'm) sorry
    • Itadakimasu - I'll take it with pleasure (something to say *before* eating the food put out on the table)
    • Onee-san - Elder sister (usually little children can use this to call young women if they don't know their names)
    • Onii-san - Elder brother (same as with onee-san, but with young men)
    • Okaa-san - Mother, a word that can be used by children to address their mother. Also other than children can use this to "point a finger" to a mother of the person he/she's talking to being at the informal pose of a child ("Okaasan ni yoroshiku ne")
    • Oji-san - Uncle / A word that younger people can use to address an older man with a bith of closeness ("Tonari no Oji-san")
    • Ojii-san - Grandfather
    • Baka - Fool / Idiot
    • Baka yarou (was this what you meant?) - Really something you shouldn't use in real Japanese conversation, roughly can translated as "Damn Fool/Idiot"
    • Ikuzo - Not something to be used in usual conversation (more formal should be used in 99.999% of all cases). Really informal form of "Iku" (go) with the informative/ordering ending "zo", roughly translated as "I'll go now!" or "Let's go now!". Something more formal would be like 'Ikou'.
    • Harahetta - I'm hungry (Really informal, I'd use 'onaka ga suita' or at least put 'ga' into the sentence instead), should not be used to people of older age or preferably not at all, because of the informalness. OK to use if you know what you're doing (informalness is sometimes considered pretty rude in Japanese culture).
    • Matte - Wait (the order form of 'matsu'). Usually used with 'kudasai' in normal conversation. 'Matte yo!' or 'Mattero!' are just a bit more rude things to yell if someone's running already - both should not be not used in usual speech (yo is not as rude as ro, though).
    • Temee - Not to be used in speech. A way of calling the person you're talking to really offencively, really hard to translate into English. Like the word 'you', but calling someone really low and offencively.
    • Nanda - Offencive, not for usage. "What's with it?" "What is it?".
    • Nande - Why (there's a reason you're after) ? For what? A bit informal.
    • Naze - Why (more formal, methinks) ?
    • Nani - 何, the heart of all the three words before 何だ、何で、何故. The 'what' word. It can lose it's last vocal like in 'Kono kiiroi no wa *nan* desu ka'

As you can see, many words of those you knew aren't actually so good for daily usage. It's OK if you can understand them in anime, but I'd suggest you to take a look at some textbooks before you'll try to impress someone Japanese with your knowledge. The rudeness of informality is not something to be overseen when we try to learn the language. I've tried to make myself good at it, but I'm still worried if my business letters are rude or not (I haven't gotten any bad comments yet, though (^_^; ) - but by knowing that Japanese really don't say anything to 'gaijin's before you've pissed them off big time I'm always a bit worried. They'll just turn their heads and try to think 'It's just another barbarian, he can't understand our culture'). Thank god the usual 'desumasu' is good for everyday speech.
    Cool. thanks for the corrections, the advice and all... I appreciate it. ^^

I do, I care for you because I can. I can because I want to. And I want to... because you said that I couldn't...
    Yet... Who... would love a demon like me...?

♪♪FanFiction.Net profile♪♪Photobucket album♪♪Friendster profile♪♪Xanga blog♪♪
    ♪♪LosT dEmoN♪♪

Otaku Sage_Se'von may be famous one day Sage_Se'von may be famous one day Sage_Se'von's Avatar
    Thanks

I should print this........................but i could learn form about.com too it has phrases too

I am a sage....the light of elements

Otaku bloodymoonreaper may be famous one day bloodymoonreaper may be famous one day bloodymoonreaper's Avatar
    Thanks

I only know hello and sukkikate ni shiro . I don't know if I spelt it right. I think it is great that some are trying to learn that language. I'll pick up on it when I have spare time..
    Bloodymoonreaper

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 79 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 60 ... LastLast