Closed Thread
Page 15 of 79 FirstFirst ... 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 65 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese language learning.

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Japanese language learning.

Welcome to the pack, LG. Now there's a crowd of us, heh o(^_^)o Not to tease you in any way, but "そして、日本語三年生です" just doesn't feel right. It should be something like "そして、今まで日本語を3年間勉強しました", because I don't know if you can be a third-grader in Japanese language (^_^; ).

@Aya-kun & losangeles:

First of all your usage of the word 'accent' really bends my mind. Accent is '弁', like in Kansai-BEN or Hokkaidou-BEN (where you have different words or the way you say some words change [Keeping the original politiness etc. factors], like the ありません -> あらへん change in 関西弁 [Kansai-ben] ). What you're talking about are the politiness '形's (-kei, like futsuu-kei, masu-kei and others), which are the forms, or "尊敬語" (sonkei-go) with "謙譲語" (kenjyou-go, had to check my 'kokugo'- jisho for the reading of this (^_^; ) ), which are the most polite forms of 'usual-speak' Japanese. Just like the 'watakushi' is a more polite version of saying 'watashi'. Please use the word 'form' or something like that instead of marking things as accents (which are usually regional). And yes, I think that accents are very good (I think I have a bit of 'girlish kansai-ben'- moe, which I happened to understand while walking around 京都 [きょうと] and 大阪 [おおさか]. Oh, the memories of school trip to Kyoto...).

Some listings of words popped up in close posts (just to point out that some of them are quite rude):
    • 俺 (おれ) - Me/I (the form for someone's ["my" for example] is *something*の) - Can be used with 仲間同士 (nakama-doushi, your friends of same position) with almost no problem if you're male, females using this form will not propably get extra attention from me but some marking looks from real Japanese as it's a really masculine word. Not should be used with strangers, at least if you're not Japanese - I know from experience that they'll just think you're an ignorant bastard from somewhere else.
    • 私 (わたし) - I don't know but I seem to have born with this word in head. I really don't use any other word for 'me', not even 僕 (ぼく), which was used by some other (male gaijin) students in Japan (boku is so- boy'sy [usually only young boys use it]) . This should be the basic 'I'- word with the あたし-form which is rather cutesy and well used among young females.
    • あんた - A rude form (only used in speech) of あなた (with the meaning 'you')
    • 俺様 (おれさま) - The Ultimate Mortal Kombat of 'me's (I actually fell down laughing when I saw this word). Something no-one should really attempt to use. It's rude and people might actually laugh at you. Yes, it's that much used in Japanese TV dramas/anime. I don't know where this thing started (it must be an old word), but I first heard it in 'Hana yori dango' where that rich brat used it to mark himself as. Translates roughly as 'The lord I' or something
    • 貴様 (きさま) - Another *exceptionally rude* 'you'- word
    • 畜生 (ちくしょう) - I meaning: a beast, brute; II meaning: - "Damn it!"; III (畜生道 as a word) meaning: Incest (In other words another exceptionally rude you- word if used as such)
    • お前 (おまえ) - A rude form of 'you'. Can be used like 'ore' with 'nakama-doushi' but isn't recommended.
    • 己 (おのれ) - A 'himself'- word. Example: "己に勝つ" (onore ni katsu, which means to withstand over yourself). Also a rather rude word when used to someone else (can be used just for putting the other person onto a level lower than you or just as a curse word to another)
    • 私・儂 (わし) - A way of saying 'I' (watashi), earlier was a word used by women to a close man, nowadays a masculine word that men use to a person who's "lower" than they (a bit rude). Also has a slight 田舎っぽい (いなかっぽい) image (^_^)

P.S. 夏休みぞ~!これから勉強以外なこともできるじゃ~ん!教科書プロジェクトも再生 (^_^) だけどあまり待たないでね、速さがないから。
    人生フゥ~!!!

Stray Sheep Aya-kun may be famous one day Aya-kun may be famous one day Aya-kun's Avatar
    Thanks

thanks Jeeb.
    it's a long helpful note.
    here's the truth:
    my comp can't read romanji words. so i don't know a words you are saying.
    ^^" my computer is baka. *slams head on computer*
    but i do understand what you are trying to say.
    accents for using me/i...etc
    ^^
    [CENTER]+ Sheep Blogs at PaperDiaries +

Otaku Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JEEB
    Welcome to the pack, LG. Now there's a crowd of us, heh o(^_^)o Not to tease you in any way, but "そして、日本語三年生です" just doesn't feel right. It should be something like "そして、今まで日本語を3年間勉強しました", because I don't know if you can be a third-grader in Japanese language (^_^; ).
    Mm I understand ya ^^ It is a weird sentence, and it's actually just a literal translation of a common school term (i.e. if you're in Spanish 2, people would call you a "Spanish 2 Student" or "Second Year Spanish student"). One of my sensei said the phrase can differentiate you studying on your own and taking classes... but it's basically a J-1 like sentence, and I'm suppose to be capable of more. (But as you can see - I'm lazy ^_^0 )

Quote Originally Posted by JEEB
    俺様 (おれさま) - The Ultimate Mortal Kombat of 'me's (I actually fell down laughing when I saw this word). Something no-one should really attempt to use. It's rude and people might actually laugh at you. Yes, it's that much used in Japanese TV dramas/anime. I don't know where this thing started (it must be an old word), but I first heard it in 'Hana yori dango' where that rich brat used it to mark himself as. Translates roughly as 'The lord I' or something
    Hee, was that Tsukasa? XD I didn't really notice that before; I should go watch it again sometime soon.
    Music is my santuary, music is my blanket
    三日坊主*傍目八目*外柔内剛

Newbie losangeles may be famous one day losangeles may be famous one day
    Thanks

Jeeb....(= =bbb)
    looks like i was sorta misleaded by those anime ... too much
    (i think atobe from prince of tennis uses oresama too)
    thanks a lot for this info, by the way,

the word "gozaru" another "sonkei-go" also ?

Newbie andiishere may be famous one day andiishere may be famous one day andiishere's Avatar
    Thanks

ohhhh, avery long thread to read through.

i have always wanted to learn japanese, although most of what has been written is far beyond my scope of knowlage.. i'm still trying to get my head around learning the hirigana and katakana alphabets. (just the main ones too.)

just if anyone is interested (and i would like others opinions of what this site teaches) i use,
    http://www.nihongoresources.com/
    as this site has it's teachings set out like lessons and seems well structured, you just need the time lol.

i'm dreading learing the kanji- am i right when i say there are over 5000 or them?
    i'm having a hard time learning 46 hirigana lol

well i'll check this thread later on

Wo chao xi huan ni Mahjong Champion, Shape Game Champion, Solitaire Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion, Looney Tunes Mahjong Champion, Elite Mahjong Champion, MahJong Champion, Mahjong XY Champion mahiru may be famous one day mahiru may be famous one day mahiru's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andiishere
    i'm dreading learing the kanji- am i right when i say there are over 5000 or them?
    Yes! WAY more! But you only need to know I think about 2,000 or so to read the average newspaper (or so I've heard...) ^_^ Anyways, there are so many that I think it would be IMPOSSIBLE to learn them all lol
    Wo shi zhen zhen zhen xi huan ni...

Thank you Equinn!! ^-^

Otaku Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135's Avatar
    Thanks

Kanji isn't as hard as it seems. If you have the thought that it's going to be terrible and hard to learn before and right when you do begin to learn, then you've already given yourself a bad start with a bad thought. Stay positive, you'll get there! ^_^ And don't worry about hiragana and katakana - I think nearly everyone has problems with them at first. Sometimes I still forget how to write a katakana character or two (namely "nu" >_<0 it just doesn't like to stick).

My sensei tells us after living in the US for so long, and then simply typing up our papers and such on the computer, it does take her a moment or two to remember how to write some kanji. So when you do begin kanji, it's best to use them whenever you can, or practice - otherwise you may forget as well.

Quote Originally Posted by andiishere
    just if anyone is interested (and i would like others opinions of what this site teaches) i use,
    http://www.nihongoresources.com/
    as this site has it's teachings set out like lessons and seems well structured, you just need the time lol.
    I only browsed through the first lesson, but it looks alright. Indeed, you may need some time with those, as they introduce alot of information at once. You must already know the basic kana, learn to recognize some kanji, and the actual explanations are not exactly in layman's terms ^_^0 But I think it can be done ~ Ganbatte ^_^
    Music is my santuary, music is my blanket
    三日坊主*傍目八目*外柔内剛

Newbie dien04 may be famous one day dien04 may be famous one day dien04's Avatar
    Thanks

may i ask about the kansai-ben...? some people from a forum said it's usually used by comedians to perform a funny act...oshitari yuushi of hyotei (tenipuri) uses the kansai-ben...well...is it a dialect or something...?

thanx for sharing some japanese language tidbits...
    "We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”
    So Nostalgic

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 79 FirstFirst ... 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 65 ... LastLast