Closed Thread
Page 47 of 79 FirstFirst ... 37 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese language learning.

Community Dude Asteroids Champion dude101 may be famous one day dude101 may be famous one day dude101's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Japanese language learning.

hello.. its been a while since i last vistited this thread, but anywho i was just wondering about something

i keep on hearing the word (probly isn't really a word of sorts) nai.

u hear it in sentenses like genki nai desu ka or genki nai kana? which i believe mean aren't u feeling well? and that the nai acts as a negative to the previous word.

p.s pls feel free to correct any other mistakes in my translation

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dude101 View Post
    i keep on hearing the word (probly isn't really a word of sorts) nai. u hear it in sentenses like genki nai desu ka or genki nai kana? which i believe mean aren't u feeling well? and that the nai acts as a negative to the previous word.
    That's correct!
    "Nai" does act as a negative to the previous word. It can sometimes be used in place of "arimasen". I guess in English it would be translated as "not".

♥ (¯'·._.·[GEISHA ゲイシャ]·. HieisLove may be famous one day HieisLove may be famous one day HieisLove's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok ok I havent been here in awhile. i need to get my Japanese together or atleast improve
    ♥ (¯'·._.·[GEISHA ゲイシャ]·._.·'¯) ♥

Community Dude Asteroids Champion dude101 may be famous one day dude101 may be famous one day dude101's Avatar
    Thanks

alright then, i feel like to test out some of my japanese knowledge. i feel like theres goin to be tones of mistakes.. well here i go

konnichiwa

genki desu ka

boku wa dijobou*

also i would like to ask another question about the uses of no, ni, and yo in continuous sentenses.

so fair i'm guessin that the yo is to target an object or person and is commonly used at the end of the sentense.

ni i think is like a link of a verb to an object like chair-(don't know the japanese equivalent) ni swato* which is meant to say sit down on a chair i think.

and with no, i really don't have much idea what that is used in sentense nor what it does.

p.s everthing with * are the word that i'm 100% i spelled wrong

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

By "dijobou", do you mean "daijoubu"? I think the word you're looking for is "genki", though. You usually use "daijoubu" when someone inquires if you're all right - then you'd answer "daijoubu da yo" or "heiki".

Okay, the easiest explanation I can come up with for "no" is that it acts as an apostrophe. For example, "Keiko's book" can be translated as "Keiko no hon". "My" is "watashi no" and "your" is "anata no".

"Yo" can probably be described as the Japanese equivalent of an exclamation mark. You use it to add a sort of emphasis to a sentence. So rather than just going "genki", you could say "genki da yo" to show that you're not just fine, but you're in a REALLY good mood... more or less to that effect.

Your explanation for "ni" is only half correct. There is another word that links verbs to objects, "wo" (or "o", to some). "Ni" usually denotes a place or an area. Hence, "koko ni suwatte" (sit here) or "kouen ni ikou!" (let's go to the park!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel View Post
    By "dijobou", do you mean "daijoubu"? I think the word you're looking for is "genki", though. You usually use "daijoubu" when someone inquires if you're all right - then you'd answer "daijoubu da yo" or "heiki".

Okay, the easiest explanation I can come up with for "no" is that it acts as an apostrophe. For example, "Keiko's book" can be translated as "Keiko no hon". "My" is "watashi no" and "your" is "anata no".

"Yo" can probably be described as the Japanese equivalent of an exclamation mark. You use it to add a sort of emphasis to a sentence. So rather than just going "genki", you could say "genki da yo" to show that you're not just fine, but you're in a REALLY good mood... more or less to that effect.

Your explanation for "ni" is only half correct. There is another word that links verbs to objects, "wo" (or "o", to some). "Ni" usually denotes a place or an area. Hence, "koko ni suwatte" (sit here) or "kouen ni ikou!" (let's go to the park!)
    thx that clears up alot of problems, and i was goin to ask about wo but i forgot about that. i have a bit of trouble understanding most of those wo, no, ni etc purposed in sentense. thx alot and as a leaving gift

koko, ichogo ni kurau (here eat strawberries)

as u can see i can only do simple sentenses

Thanks

It should be "ichigo wo tabete" (or "kutte", though "tabete" is a nicer word for it). Strawberries are not a location, so you use "wo" instead of "ni". And "koko" should also only be used in the context of location. You'd probably use something like "hora" or "hore" instead...

Newbie kitty-miaku may be famous one day kitty-miaku may be famous one day kitty-miaku's Avatar
    I curently live in Sioux Falls. (don't tell anyone but it SUCKS!)
    Thanks

I know Japanese because I was born there. Kanashimi means sorrow, Junsa is police man... ETC (:

Closed Thread
Page 47 of 79 FirstFirst ... 37 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 57 ... LastLast