Closed Thread
Page 56 of 79 FirstFirst ... 6 46 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 66 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese language learning.

Newbie shinopious may be famous one day shinopious may be famous one day shinopious's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Japanese language learning.

Ok... I didn't read this whole thread so someone may have already said this... but I am just tryin to help... so yeah. Now on to the help!

I am just beginning Japanese an know a little bit. (Greetings, farewells a little vocab.) Here is the biggest tip I can give you... learn the most common things first! Such as simple objects or places, apple = ringo, school = gakkou (please correct me if I am wrong.)

The absolute best way to learn something is to be around it constantly. Read Japanese manga and have a English version... watch japanese television if you have that available to you (like news stations and stuff... where they will talk normally and use slang so you can get a feel for talking in a common conversation). Another thing is listen to JRock or JPop. Subbed anime is ok but not always the best source. Don't get me wrong though... I love anime!!

Anywho, as I said before, you have to completely cover yourself in the language... at a certain point you might start thinking in Japanese lol... thats when you know you are getting it. But like I said I am JUST a beginner and these are things that help me. Practice speaking it, writing it (I reccommend starting with Hiragana). It really helps to have someone to learn with also!

Which brings me to my next subject... would anyone be interested in becoming friends and learning the language with me? I would be glad to tell you a bit more about myself if you message me. Thanks for reading and good luck to everyone trying to learn! Knowledge is power!
    When in doubt, shut you mouth.
    Stupidity shows when you talk too much.
    So it is better to stay quiet and people think you are dumb, than to speak and people know you are dumb.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

It's a bit too expensive to have both Japanese AND English manga at the same time, so if scanlations are available, download them - except that scanlations are sometimes inaccurate. Another alternative is: buy the original manga in Japanese and have a dictionary handy to help you when you come across words you've never heard of. It's an expensive method, though. Where I come from subbed manga is at least 4 times cheaper than the originals.

Also, because not everyone has access to Japanese TV channels, there is always Youtube - where you can watch J-dramas, interviews, anime, etc. Even better if you know a Japanese person or are planning to go to Japan for a student exchange - actually conversing will help you more than anything else in the world; I know because it worked for me, and probably the only reason why my Japanese didn't improve as much as it could have while I was in Nagoya is that I was just to shy to talk.

Ganbatte ne, shinopious, and anyone else who's about to immerse him/herself in the language!

Newbie shinopious may be famous one day shinopious may be famous one day shinopious's Avatar
    Thanks

Ah! Totally agree about conversation being one of the best tools for learning! I Cant believe I didn't mention that!! *Slaps forehead* And yeah, I have no japanese television available to me... I also use youtube. Hmm... the only Manga I actually own is Chobits. Most everything else is from the library.

So yeah, when I said have someone to learn with I meant to talk with and quiz each other on vocab etc. Sorry that my post was not all that specific everyone! But with if you combine blue_rebel's advice and mine you will have something worth reading!

And of course... most of you know... there is the online alternatives for getting things you can't really afford at the moment.... but there is nothing like opening the first page of a newly bought manga which you can't really enjoy if it is on your computer... bittorrent + torrentspy is a great resource....
    So it is better to stay quiet and people think you are dumb, than to speak and people know you are dumb.

Abomination Smacky Champion, Celebrity Power Lifte Champion, Crash Test Dummy High Jump Champion, Super Track 2001 Champion, Endless Flight Champion, Drop Kick Champion, Bloody Rage Champion, Dropkick The Faint Champion, Splash Back Champion Spin Da Ish is off to a good start Spin Da Ish's Avatar
    Thanks

lol im part japanese and u can speak it better than me... aww i really suck lol

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL, and I thought I mentioned a few times that I'm part-Japanese myself. Only 1/8, though, so I suppose that doesn't really count. I wasn't brought up on Japanese books and shows though. Had to learn it myself. My great-grandma would cry if she knew (not that she had a chance to see me anyway).

Otaku souichiro_arima may be famous one day souichiro_arima may be famous one day souichiro_arima's Avatar
    Thanks

I know how to write japanese characters, including Hiragana at first.. secondly Kanji... But the only thing I dont really master is Katakana... But I sometimes used that in writting letters... But Im sometimes confused... ehehehehe....lol...

"Bring salvation to akuma's soul."

Thanks

Ahhh lol... I am a little bit of everything! I am part Indian, English, East Asian, Jamaican... just think of something and I am probably a little bit of it! I am a sort of pale-ish yellow-ish colour haha! So anyway... sadly I have only been subjected to Romaji. Therefore I barely know any Japanese script.... I am trying to learn Hiragana though.

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

I know a little Japanese and the structure of it thanks to wikipedia, my online Japanese to English translator, and subtitled anime.

Konniwicha! Watashi wa Nisou Tenchi. Hajimemashite.
    (Good day! I am Priestess Angel. Nice to meet you.)

I also know how to say good morning which is ohayou or ohayougozaimasu. I believe ohayou means just morning and ohayougozaimasu means the whole good morning if you are wondering.

Oyagozaimasu means good night.

Konbanwa means good evening.

Baka means idiot of course.

Kawaii means cute.

Sukoi means amazing.

Hai means yes and iya means no.

Nondimonai (Not sure if I spelled that right. Just spelling it like it sounds.) means nothing.

Mizumi means lake.

Atsui means hot.

Sayonara means bye.

Ja ne means bye too just in shorter form. Kind of like our version of later.

And I believe that Soka means I see.

Nani means what.

Nande means who.

Toru means you.

Yume means dream.

Oni means demon.

Yuki means snow.

Koi means love.

Aku means evil.

Oh yes, and if anyone is interested about the sites I mentioned here are the links to the pages.

Online Dictionary

Wikipedia - Japanese Language

Ja ne!
    Last edited by Priestess Angel; Feb 01, 2007 at 07:46 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 56 of 79 FirstFirst ... 6 46 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 66 ... LastLast