+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Japanese music recommendations

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Japanese music recommendations

Impressive post, zyta.

I would like to recommend Kodō. It's pretty much the most renowned taiko drum collective. Touring the world annually. I've been to a Kodō concert thrice now and they blew me away every time. (Nearly literally, just check the third link below.)
    The drum is the most primal instrument of all and you'll know why if you ever catch one of their performances.

YouTube - Kodo - Irodori

YouTube - Kodo

YouTube - Lion - Kodo (Paris 2009)

YouTube - Kodo( 鼓童 ) O-Daiko part 1 (HD)

Interestingly enough, I don't much care for it on a CD. You can't enjoy the sheer physicality of the performance that way. But I'd still give them a try even if you can't catch a live performance somewhere.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hassun For This Useful Post:

Silver Huntress (May 28, 2010)

Newbie animefreak150 is off to a good start animefreak150's Avatar
    Thanks

i would prefer scandal, sukima switch and yui. they write pretty good songs.
    the worst feeling is not Death, its knowing that you aren't needed,

that you are alone in this world, and that you no longer have a reason to live...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to animefreak150 For This Useful Post:

Otaku Alchemy II Champion Shizuka is off to a good start
    Thanks

Here are some of my recommendations, some will be bit underground and therefore hard to find on the net. If anything feel free to PM me.

KAT-TUN
    I must start off that I have been their fan since 2002 and still love them very much. They are under Johnny's Entertainment, Japan's biggest talent agency that solely focuses on exclusively producing boybands. KAT-TUN's music generally flirts between Japanese pop, R&B and light rock. It's a great choice if you wish to listen to light rock and R&B songs but yet still maintain the boyband flavor.

Real Face
    Love Yourself ~ 君が嫌いな君が好き~
    Signal

Ayumi Hamasaki
    As previously stated by someone, Ayu is a household name in Japan and often given the name of Empress of Jpop. If I am not mistaken a few years back she had been rated as one of Asia's highest grossing artist. Anyways, Ayu usually stays within Japanese pop and Ballad, but I have seen a few of her songs switch from rock to techno. Anyone who's even slightly into Japanese music should know Ayumi Hamasaki's name.

Talkin' 2 Myself
    HEAVEN
    Don't look back

Utada Hikaru
    As of lately she's been very inactive and I haven't seen her release anything new in MONTHS. None of the less her voice is still amazing and you've probably heard her song Sanctuary or Passion from Final Fantasy games. I find her music very soothing and she usually doesn't go any further out than a strong Japanese pop song.

Passion
    Flavor of Life
    Come back to me

Koda Kumi
    Another major female singer of Japan whom gained major popularity through her song 1000 no Kotoba. Honestly, she's my favorite out of Ayumi Hamasaki and Utada Hikaru mainly because I am not much of a ballad-y person. Koda Kumi usually sticks to American R&B-ish songs with a few Japanese pop songs and Ballads sprinkled here and there.

Hot Stuff feat. KM Markit
    TABOO
    Pearl Moon

GACKT
    Oh God! This man is perfect in so many angles...singing, looks, talent, acting and etc. I am not sure if you'll like him in terms of music, but I am sure you will probably find him quite an exquisite and exotic eye-candy. As you might deduce, it's hard to categorize Gackt's songs into a specific genre so lets just say he's now a days more of Japanese rock nothing too heavy like Dir en Grey or Girugamesh XD.

Redemption
    雪月花 - The end of silence -
    GHOST

BoA
    BoA is mainly active in Japan but she is of Korean descent and has been seen active in China, America and other smaller East Asian countries. BoA has been active since at a very young age and consequently rose to stardom early. As for her style of music it really depends on where she's releasing the CD. If it's in Korea it is usually strong Korean pop songs to beautiful ballads, if it's Japan its usually Japanese pop to refreshing ballad songs, and in America she tends to release more of electro/techno genres. I will give you all three languages.

ID; Peace B
    Possibility feat. Daichi Miura
    Energetic

Arashi
    I am not much a fan of Arashi, but they are a MAJOR boyband in Asia so I must introduce them to you. Like I said I am not much of a fan so I probably cannot give you a good recommendation on them. But, generally they are your typical Japanese pop boyband and they are also in the same company as KAT-TUN.

Beautiful Days
    Everything
    Troublemaker

SMAP
    Again not a fan of them, but they are considered legendary in Japan and have been in business for a long time. Now a days the members are more into acting and MC-ing with a once in a blue moon they release a single. Their music are usually, I think not sure, Japanese pop and romantic-ish pop songs. And once again they are in the same company as KAT-TUN and other major Japanese boybands.

Lion Heart
    Sonomama
    Triangle

NewS
    My second favorite Johnny's Entertainment boyband. I love them mostly because they got these fun and playful Japanese pop songs. Plus, they've got members like Tegoshi and Pi whom they are to die for XD. They can be quite refreshing to hear during the summer or spring time.

Summer Time
    Taiyou no Namida
    Koi no ABO

EXILE
    One of Japan's non-JE favorites. They've got excellent singers and they are mainly an acapella group with a mix of Japanese pop. I really recommend them if you want to get out of the usual Japanese boyband due to their mature and smooth vocals. Oh~ Forgot to mention some time ago they merged with another group and they are now called J SOUL BROTHERS.

Ti Amo
    Last Christmas
    Lovers Again

Tohoshinki
    Since this is a Japanese music recommendation list I went with their Japanese name. But, the name of this boyband varies depending on which country they are in. The name of their group can be seen in the following ways: Tohoshinki/THSK (Japan), Dong Bang Shin Ki/DBSK/DBSG/TVXQ/TVfXQ (Korea and TVfXQ is the official way to spell the group's name) and Tong Vfang Xien Qi/TVfXQ (China), but their names can also be written in Asian characters (東方神起/동방신기). Anyways, Tohoshinki is a boyband with a VERY wide range of music and dancing abilities. Their music can range anywhere from acapella to very powerful pop music. They are currently more active in Japan, although at the moment they are on group hiatus since Junsu, JaeJoong and Yoochun broke contracts with their parent company SME (SM Entertainment). I will give you their songs in Korean and Japanese.

Mirotic
    どうして君を好きになってしまったんだろう?
    BREAK OUT!

Ami Suzuki
    Ami was a major popular singer in the 90s, but due to a law suit against her company she lost favor and fell off from mainstream music. Ami's specialty are usually electro/techno-ish songs which is really rare now a days in the Japanese music market. Great for parties or just listening to it at any other time.

Eventful
    Hopeful
    Around the World

KOTOKO
    Another of Japan's techno singers. But, unlike Ami who does more of dance tracks, KOTOKO is more of your ballad techno singer. Although, she is popular among Otakus she's has yet to hit mainstream fame.

Re-sublimity
    Agony
    Suppuration Core

SuG
    They are part of the Visual Kei movement, but under a different branch called Oshare Kei. Oshare Kei is really really colorful and crazy with often happy go lucky tunes. To me its one the most fun genres to listen out there. Not to mention their clothing is quite cute and adorable you should definitely try even if you don't like the whole Visual Kei concept.

Love Scream Party
    P!NK Masquerade
    Alterna.

Yuya Matsushita
    I am not sure if your familiar with this Korean singer called SE7EN. But, that's what Yuya's style of music reminds me of. Anyways, he is an AMAZING solo singer whom has recently been coming into the center of attention. He's strongly influenced by American singers especially Michael Jackson.

Trust Me
    YOU
    Foolish Foolish

Okay, I think I covered most of the artists you should check out but just in case you want more...here are more to see that I recommend. Careful, some of the following are Korean artists who are also active in Japan.

Ai Otsuka
    Ayaka
    Rin'
    An Cafe
    KinKi Kids
    Tackey&Tsubasa
    Hey!Say!Jump
    Big Bang
    YUI
    Jasmine
    HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR
    Orange Range
    SE7EN
    AAA
    V6
    CHEMISTRY
    "An eye for an eye leaves the world blind"- Ghandi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shizuka For This Useful Post:

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

Try Aural Vampire, I just saw them at the local anime convention.

Newbie AlexKeller is off to a good start AlexKeller's Avatar
    Thanks

I recommend "Kokia."
    She's one of my favorite artists in general, much less 'Japanese.'
    Music: www.soundclick.com/alexkkkeller

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiDude128 View Post
    Try Aural Vampire, I just saw them at the local anime convention.
    Add some more info on the groups you recommend please.

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok...
    Aural Vampire is a Japanese Techno-Industrial band. I got their latest album after I saw them at the con and I keep coming back to it. It's so good.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SamuraiDude128 For This Useful Post:

Newbie TheDarknesInTheLight is off to a good start TheDarknesInTheLight's Avatar
    Thanks
    The closer you get the light the greater your darkness becomes...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDarknesInTheLight For This Useful Post:

Shizuka (Jul 02, 2010)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast