+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Japanese Students

Otaku ILikeApples5520 is off to a good start ILikeApples5520's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Japanese Students

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    They even wear the outfit on days when they don't even have class. Probably just trying to get the males to drool.
    Thats probably the ONLY reason I'm glad I go to a Catholic High school.

Our sister school (Mine's an all guys school) with all the girls usually hangs out near our school. They wear skirts so short you could almost see their panties without them bending over.

Thanks to _gwenibe_ for this awesome sig!

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoga_TheLost View Post
    Just a funny tip about the Students, they stay in there uniforms ALL day and night. It's weird because it would be 10pm and you would see the girls and guys walking and hanging out in the allies at the same time in their uniforms still. And grated the teenage girls look really cute and old enough! I wish that I went to highschool in Japan. If you have ever seen an anime...it's exactly like it!!
    ~_~; That's not true.

Children are encouraged to wear their uniforms outside of school specifically so that they DON'T end up hanging out in alleys after 10pm. Students are under a great deal of pressure to act in a way that would not embarass their school or draw undo attention to them. Students in uniforms are encouraged to give up seats on the bus or train to others, they're not allowed to eat or read while walking, be out after dark without a reason or in big groups, etc. Students wearing uniforms are almost always reported to their schools by police and other parties for any "suspicious" activities. Local police know the schools' uniforms and insignia on sight and will often file complaints based only on the uniforms suspects were wearing. Wearing your uniform to cause trouble, smoke, drink or get laid is a really rotten idea: and one of the best ways to get caught. Some students do: but they're exceptions, not the rule. Generally speaking, you will see very few students in uniforms "hanging out" after dark: just a flood of them returning home late from cram school.

I work at a junior high school and the police often arrive unannounced to deliver complaints to the staff about boys in our school's uniforms that have been involved in vandalism or loitering. Girls have been reported anonymously by others in the neighborhood for everything from littering and being noisy in public places to having boyfriends in college. All the kids are reported constantly for failing to wear their bike helmets.

The worst uniform "offense" most students commit is to hike up their skirts the second they're out of the immediate range of school and think they won't be seen by their teachers.

As for why students spend so much time in their uniforms: the school day in Japan runs from about 7am-4pm with club activities in the afternoon and cram school soon afterward. There's no time to change even if they want to. Most students also attend school on Saturdays for extra classes and/or club activities. Their "encouraged" to wear their uniforms on Sundays also... specifically so that they can be "kept an eye on". But on Sundays and Saturday afternoons, most students opt for their "regular clothes"... summer and winter vacations are also remarkably light on uniform presence. They don't usually WANT us to know what they're doing... or make it any easier for us to find out.

Otaku Panda Golf Champion Ryoga_TheLost may be famous one day Ryoga_TheLost may be famous one day Ryoga_TheLost's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    ~_~; That's not true.

Children are encouraged to wear their uniforms outside of school specifically so that they DON'T end up hanging out in alleys after 10pm. Students are under a great deal of pressure to act in a way that would not embarass their school or draw undo attention to them. Students in uniforms are encouraged to give up seats on the bus or train to others, they're not allowed to eat or read while walking, be out after dark without a reason or in big groups, etc. Students wearing uniforms are almost always reported to their schools by police and other parties for any "suspicious" activities. Local police know the schools' uniforms and insignia on sight and will often file complaints based only on the uniforms suspects were wearing. Wearing your uniform to cause trouble, smoke, drink or get laid is a really rotten idea: and one of the best ways to get caught. Some students do: but they're exceptions, not the rule. Generally speaking, you will see very few students in uniforms "hanging out" after dark: just a flood of them returning home late from cram school.
    Ummmm...I NEVER say anything about them doing anything bad while in there uniform. If you've seen the streets in Tokyo they are small and there are many allies with Arcades, anime comic stores, shoes, clothes etc (i.e. Hachioji). The trains there stop at about 1130pm and I still see kids just walking about in their uniforms. I never said anything about them being bad.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoga_TheLost View Post
    Ummmm...I NEVER say anything about them doing anything bad while in there uniform.
    "hanging out in allies" after dark in mixed-gender groups is actually considered bad behavior.

Otaku Panda Golf Champion Ryoga_TheLost may be famous one day Ryoga_TheLost may be famous one day Ryoga_TheLost's Avatar
    Thanks

Okay, I'm currently living in Fussa, Tokyo and work with the JN's (Japanese Nationals). I ask them a LOT of questions from anything to everything. When I first got there back in 2006 I thought that the highschool kids where innocent, different from the states...I was informed that I was wrong. In Tokyo, they are smoking, drinking, and doing other things all the time. I'm NOT saying they do that in their uniforms but they aren't innocent by all means.

I really don't know why I'm arguing this topic. I know that's not me. I was just stating what "I" see out there. Oh btw, as you stated from having mixed gender, it may be so but they still are together. One could also argue the fact that in their culture they really are not suppose to show signs of affections (i.e. hold hands, kiss, hug...etc) they do that as well. I see it all the time.

Thanks

I realize that your experience may differ from mine... but I've been living in Japan for almost 5 years, have a degree in Japanese Studies, attended university here and am working for the Japanese government. I'm also a teacher, and while my current post is much more rural than yours: I do take issue with people implying that Japan is "just like anime" and that my students are little monsters (when they aren't busy being sex-objects).

Saying Japan is "just like anime" is sort of like saying The United States is "just like Hollywood movies".

There are elements of reality in Japanese animation... just like there are elements of American life in Hollywood movies. But watching cartoons and hanging out in Akihabara is not any more adequate a guage of Japanese culture than watching gangster movies and hanging out in inner city Los Angeles.

Yes, students in Tokyo are a bit more defiant/"grown up" than rural students. But there are also tens of hundreds MORE students in Tokyo. You are seeing a small group of students who are behaving poorly and assuming they represent the whole.

They don't.

Otaku Redragon495 is off to a good start Redragon495's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Japan is a bigger place than most people seem to think. It's also one in which economic status varies greatly and has a huge impact on your lifestyle. Urban and rural children are incredibly different. Rich and poor children are incredibly different. Children raised in Okinawa are incredibly different from those raised in Hokkaido.

Speaking from my own experience (very isolated rural, farming/fishing town Shikoku):

Elementary students (1st-6th grade): are bright, independant, playful and play well in mixed-gender groups. They cooperate easily and are quick to try new things. The girls are usually the leaders in the classrooms but tend to be a wee bit bossy/clingy. They love to learn, as long as learning somehow resembles "playing". They are all obsessed with brand toys and already exhibit brand loyalty with favorite characters/anime/etc. plastered all over everything they own. Most of them would rather be outside than indoors and are allowed to play without supervision and bike/run/walk far from home alone or in small groups at a very young age.

The boys usually very interested in bugs, fish, card games, video games and anime. The girls are usually very interested in virtual pets, writing notes, stickers, dogs/cats/hamsters, and flowers. Most of them don't like to read (unless they're comic books) and would rather be doing more active things. Students with physical defects or odd personalities are ostracized and avoided. The teachers tell them to play together, but the children won't. They have a keen sense for things and people that are "different" and tend to avoid them. Their parents buy them lots of toys and expensive clothes but spend very little actual time with them.

They tend to be afraid of snakes, frogs, centipedes, catterpillars and spiders (even the boys) and will run away from them.

Anime they love (since it is an anime board): ~boys~ Yu Gi Oh, Naruto, Dragonball, pokemon ~girls~ Kirarin Revolution, Love and Berry

Junior High (7th-9th grade): The boys rule the classrooms and the loudest determines the attitude of the entire class. If he is a good student, it generally goes well. If he is a bad student, the class is a nightmare. The girls, for the most part, refuse to speak at all unless forced, at which point you're lucky to get a whisper out of them. Boys and girls do not mix. From this point on, the Japanese seem to believe that "boys and girls can't be friends" (I've been told this by Japanese adults many times).

Most students are not interested in studying but feel under tremendous pressure to study for and pass high school entrance exams. Those who aren't interested in high school (it's not mandatory in Japan) tune out and give up quickly, spending the rest of the year being dicks and disrupting the class for everyone else. Students with learning disabilities generally go unaided and/or unnoticed.

Students begin to segment themselves into groups according to their interests, fashion styles and what tv tells them they should be doing. Goths, geeks, jocks, class pets, pretty girls, tomboys, etc. emerge. Bullying begins hardcore. Students who are overweight, oddly-mannered, poor, or somehow stand out will be tormented verbally... sometimes during class in front of teachers.

Discipline is generally impossible as corporal punishment and removing a child from the classroom are against Japanese law. There is no detention... and the school is constantly at the mercy of angry parents. Ocaisionally a teacher will flip out and whack the crap out of a student in front of everyone, but that rarely gets back to the parents as the teachers and students both know they'd get in trouble if it did.

They are extremely competative. Sports and club activities are very important. When students lose matches, they sometimes cry. If a student is percieved to be the reason for a loss, the entire class may blame him... or he may blame himself.

It's not all bad. At this stage, they start to get some wickedly clever personalities going and tend to be much better at math and science than American students. The material they learn is harder and the expectations placed upon them heavier. They spend more time in school -- though less time in CLASSES. Most of their time in school is spent participating in school events, competitions or club activities. During these activities they work as classes (homerooms) and show an uncanny ability to put aside their differences and work together for a common goal.

The boys are extremely affectionate with their friends and don't shy from physical contact with each other. They're outspoken, funny, and have good relationships with their teachers. The girls, while quiet in class, are open and talk with one another... the back-talking and clique-heavy atmosphere of American high school girls is a bit more lax. At this stage in the game, the girls still get along fairly well: it's the boys who do (and recieve) most of the bullying.

Watching anime after 9th grade is considered "weird" and makes you otaku... they all read comics. A few of them love to read... but most will avoid real books when at all possible. That's why we have a special period to MAKE them read.

anime/manga they like: both ~ pokemon, Naruto, Death Note, Nana; boys ~ Reborn, Gintama, Dragonball ; girls ~ Love Con, Koukou Debut
    So does that make me weird and that would suck that girls and guys don't get along in middleschool. If i would of went to a Jap. school then i would be considered a nerd, geek, or a lazy bastard. Oh yeah and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't of bin avoided or become a outcast.
    I sEe YoU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3