+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Japanese Teachers Never Grow Up

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Japanese Teachers Never Grow Up

So in Japan, when the school events roll around, it seems as though the teachers are determined to participate. We do our own set at the chorus contest, we run in the Sports' Day relays, we compete openly with kids in contests designed for them to enjoy... and we go all out.

Sports Day teams are chosen based on the fastest runners, the most athletic, ie. the most likely to win... if we lose, the entire group of younger staff members assigned to pwn sports day sulks for the next month.

The same school (not ours, thankfully) sweeps the speech contest every year because the TEACHERS, not the students, write all of their schools' entries. Everyone knows and vaguely disapproves... but this never affects the judging. They always win everything. The kids enjoy winning well enough... but the teachers seem to NEED it! They'll do anything for those trophies!

Now we're preparing our chorus contest set... we have one song with all the teachers (a traditional stand-and-sing chorus) and a song with the support staff only (which I'm a part of). The entire support staff is only 8 or 9 teachers in their 50s and 60s and is going to sing a song about school that was written in 1963... tonight we had our first rehearsal and it's gotten a bit out of hand.

Not only are we singing, we're now doing a mini-play/history lesson about the year the school was built and three of us are wearing vintage costumes (I'm going to be in the sailor uniform) and stealing bags from the children to swing around. Our music is going into old textbooks from the school library (so it looks like we're reading out of them)... and I have to choose between my principal and my vice principal to kiss on the cheek and walk off the stange hand-in-hand with. They want me to braid my hair and put it up in those little loops too O_o; And they're looking for military hats for the two guys.

I'm not sure if this is incredibly awesome and they're doing this to entertain the kids... or if they're all just trying to pretend that they're students again by participating in the same events they did as students over and over, refusing to let go and leave them to the students.

I'm all for the teachers participating... but maybe we should be helping with the kids' skits/songs or at least letting THEM decide what we're going to do... maybe singing songs THEY know or will find inspiring...

Are Japanese teachers awesome, dedicated and playful? Willing to devote massive amounts of time to their school and their students? Or did they become teachers so that they'd never have to stop being students? O_o;

I suspect it's quite a bit of both...

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Japanese Teachers Never Grow Up

^_^ i guess it's something that happens to teachers in general...

i know my old English teacher was very desperate to go back to her school days (our school is K-12, and she was there for all those grades)... yeah, she would host sleepovers for the girls and have meetings at lunch and kinda dressed like a conservitive, "i'm at my real job now" prostitute... yeah...

but generally speaking, yeah, teachers seem to get more into competitions cuz most times they don't really have a lot else going on... it's very sad, but hey, they're the ones who chose to stay there for 40 years...

^_^ many combolations on your competition though! maybe you could break the rival teacher's legs? wire their jaw shut? something like that? ^_^ maybe that's going a little far, but hey! it could look like an accident!

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

It's a small price to pay in return for having very enthused teachers. I like how the profession choice of teacher is regarded very highly (and it should, considering the importance of their work).
    Those teachers taking over does make it seems like there's some personal competition between the schools or the teaching staff of the schools.

Newbie l3lueMage may be famous one day l3lueMage may be famous one day l3lueMage's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats just awesome I wish teachers here were like that? xD All they do is teach and they don't seem to enjoy it most of the time either..

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks

Ahah that sounds cute. I don't know you're co-workers but, ...sure they weren't just itching to se you in a sailor uniform XD?
    Teachers work so hard in Japan. But the students come out able to work alot more independantly than most other countries.
    関西は最高やねん

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

by the way... we had the music festival today and we NAILED IT

Applause, screaming, laughing, the kids shouted our names and clapped along while we sang, they shouted "kawa~iiii" for me and "kakkoii~" for the guys... we nailed all of our songs, we adlibbed the hell out of everything and we sounded better than we ever have at a rehearsal.

Now that it's over, I TOTALLY see it as being "worth it"... the atmosphere between everyone was so incredible afterward.

I'm off to the after-party now! And for once, it doesn't feel like I'm "going back to work"...

+ Reply to Thread