Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 21

Thread: Japanese Wannabes

  1. #9
    Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley, California
    Posts
    5,477
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 172 Times in 147 Posts

    Re: Japanese Wannabes

    Grumble Grumble Grumble

    There is still a lot of animosity in that region of the world as a aftermath of WWII. In South Korea, it was illegal to sell or show Japanese Anime and Manga (on the gounds of cultural contamination...) up until the year 2000, and you still have government sponsored riots against the Japanese consulates in China when Japanese leaders publicly vist certain war shrines graveyards in Japan.

    Still, (with the exception of NHK sponsered Anime series...) the vast majority of Manga-ka, Directories and Produces of Anime and Manga are independent of Japanese government control. It would be difficult at best to try to force them to make something that the Japanese people (which is still their primary market) doesn't want to read...

  2. #10
    God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,777
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Japanese Wannabes

    Why do I keep getting the idea that you have something against Japan, or the Japanese??? +__+

    Idk. Frankly it does annoy me at times. I hate it when people adopt a know-it-all 'tude - although it's not so bad if you know they DO know what they're talking about. But liking another country's culture/people isn't something alien; for a long time I wished I were Australian. I even spoke with a weird Aussie accent for a while (until people started telling me to shut up because I sounded like a retard). So non-Japanese like Japan. So they wish they were Japanese. So they want the world to know. *shrugs* Leave them be?

  3. #11
    anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Shikoku
    Posts
    1,308
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 84 Times in 55 Posts

    Re: Japanese Wannabes

    "You will never be Japanese" (common insult to foreigners)

    The more you understand about Japan, the more you realize that even if you are fluent, half Japanese, married to Japanese, have children who go to Japanese schools, and have lived in Japan for 20 years or 30 years... you will never be accepted by the Japanese people or Japanese government as an equal of those who are entirely Japanese by birth.

    I don't see why anyone would want to be a part of a culture so desperately that is so detemined to exclude those of other nationalities and backgrounds (linguistically, legally, in the media, and in their attitudes toward "foreigners")

    Be proud you're NOT Japanese. Because that's what's going to end up making you "cool" if you ever actually end up in Japan.

  4. #12
    Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    962
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Japanese Wannabes

    I found this interesting video on youtube regarding this subject.
    YouTube - MagicalPockyUsagi's 日本のCulture and Language Exploration!

    Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel View Post
    Why do I keep getting the idea that you have something against Japan, or the Japanese??? +__+

    Idk. Frankly it does annoy me at times. I hate it when people adopt a know-it-all 'tude - although it's not so bad if you know they DO know what they're talking about. But liking another country's culture/people isn't something alien; for a long time I wished I were Australian. I even spoke with a weird Aussie accent for a while (until people started telling me to shut up because I sounded like a retard). So non-Japanese like Japan. So they wish they were Japanese. So they want the world to know. *shrugs* Leave them be?
    No, you're just looking into things too much. Yeah but didn't people tell you to shut up when you spoke in an Australian accent? There are people who say moshi moshi when they answer the phone. I've heard of people even doing that at work. I'm not sure the people at work were trying to be funny or piss of their boss. Things like the moshi moshi thing are unacceptable and we shouldn't put up with it.


    Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    "You will never be Japanese" (common insult to foreigners)

    The more you understand about Japan, the more you realize that even if you are fluent, half Japanese, married to Japanese, have children who go to Japanese schools, and have lived in Japan for 20 years or 30 years... you will never be accepted by the Japanese people or Japanese government as an equal of those who are entirely Japanese by birth.

    I don't see why anyone would want to be a part of a culture so desperately that is so detemined to exclude those of other nationalities and backgrounds (linguistically, legally, in the media, and in their attitudes toward "foreigners")

    Be proud you're NOT Japanese. Because that's what's going to end up making you "cool" if you ever actually end up in Japan.
    Those guys are crazy if they think that's an insult. But it's possible since they are offended by the lamest insult about their mother.

    Yes everything you said is true. Gaijin is a word for foreigner but doesn't it also mean outsider too? I read something about what someone said about Japan. He said it's not exotic or mysterious as alot of people say it is. This is coming from a black guy who can speak, read, and write Japanese.
    ____________________________________________

  5. #13
    Thanks for the memories princesslady may be famous one day princesslady may be famous one day princesslady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    In solitude
    Posts
    1,465
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts

    Re: Japanese Wannabes

    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MAKING THIS! JAPAN ISN'T THAT GREAT!
    anime and manga are cool....anoying alot..but cool and interesting but it's not like "OMG JAPAN RULES THE UNIVERSE AND ANIME IS SO GOD!"
    NO. I bee n thinking this for a while and that's one of the reason's i left. Too many people talking about japan's glory and shyt. Annoying

    Born to rule, raised to lead, taught to establish: The African Queen

  6. #14
    Otaku Inuruto is off to a good start Inuruto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Close to the edge or in my dreams
    Posts
    363
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts

    Re: Japanese Wannabes

    It is not so much people think Japan is the most wonderful place in the world, but it is just the fact that people want to try things different... And their interest is in Japanese culture & things, so why not go visit a place you find interesting in & take a custom to... I.E. animes, mangas, food, language, culture, why wouldn't want to go to your place of desire...

  7. #15
    Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    962
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Japanese Wannabes

    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

    There is still a lot of animosity in that region of the world as a aftermath of WWII. In South Korea, it was illegal to sell or show Japanese Anime and Manga (on the gounds of cultural contamination...) up until the year 2000, and you still have government sponsored riots against the Japanese consulates in China when Japanese leaders publicly vist certain war shrines graveyards in Japan.

    Still, (with the exception of NHK sponsered Anime series...) the vast majority of Manga-ka, Directories and Produces of Anime and Manga are independent of Japanese government control. It would be difficult at best to try to force them to make something that the Japanese people (which is still their primary market) doesn't want to read...
    That's interesting I heard that China had laws like that but I had no idea South Korea did.

    Yeah but they have series like Berserk and Hellsing. Which are based in Europe have a large American from what I can see fanbase. It wasn't their intention to but they created fans in America. I was watching the extras on the Berserk DVD and they were taling about the success of Berserk in America.
    The creator of Berserk was asking us (Americans) how did we think it lived up to the true history of Europe. And he was from what I could tell impressed with the fact that it did well in America even though it wasn't their primary market.

    Quote Originally Posted by Inuruto View Post
    It is not so much people think Japan is the most wonderful place in the world, but it is just the fact that people want to try things different... And their interest is in Japanese culture & things, so why not go visit a place you find interesting in & take a custom to... I.E. animes, mangas, food, language, culture, why wouldn't want to go to your place of desire...
    If you read the 10 replies you have an answer to your question. Geez.
    ____________________________________________

  8. #16
    Otaku Inuruto is off to a good start Inuruto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Close to the edge or in my dreams
    Posts
    363
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts

    Re: Japanese Wannabes

    Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan View Post
    That's interesting I heard that China had laws like that but I had no idea South Korea did.

    Yeah but they have series like Berserk and Hellsing. Which are based in Europe have a large American from what I can see fanbase. It wasn't their intention to but they created fans in America. I was watching the extras on the Berserk DVD and they were taling about the success of Berserk in America.
    The creator of Berserk was asking us (Americans) how did we think it lived up to the true history of Europe. And he was from what I could tell impressed with the fact that it did well in America even though it wasn't their primary market.



    If you read the 10 replies you have an answer to your question. Geez.
    I've read the replies..."Geez"!!! All I am saying is that people who want or so called think Japan is so wonderful is because they find an interest in it & not to many people I know think that Japan is the best place in the world... They just like to visit & experience their way of living, culture, commodities, etc... They all say they would like to visit at some point in life, but can't/won't live there... And from my point of view, if it was the most wonderful place in the world wouldn't you want to live there?.? Geez, for goodness sake... Some people!!! ^_^

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What's your name in japanese
    By Manga artist in forum Japanese Culture
    Replies: 299
    Last Post: Jan 01, 2007, 10:26 PM
  2. Who's fluent in Japanese or IS Japanese or part?
    By *~Cookies&Cream~* in forum Japanese Culture
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: Oct 06, 2006, 07:41 AM
  3. anyone know japanese?
    By confused in forum The Chat Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jun 17, 2006, 02:08 PM
  4. Who knows Japanese here?
    By TaxDAY in forum The Chat Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Apr 10, 2006, 08:36 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts