+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Whaling

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Japanese Whaling

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Japan's whaling fleet sets sail

Currently Japan is killing whales for the means of "scientific research".
    I think by now we know that's not entirely true..

Do you agree with this killing?

Though, I don't really care what Japan eats, infact, I wouldn't mind trying whale myself.

I just don't believe - nor have they proven - how they are going to hunt whales sustainably and humanly. It feel like the whales have only just recovered from the last whaling exploit only to have the same thing happened again. After a quick search on the net, most of the whales they hunt or are planning to hunt are still on the endangered list ( though other factors include global warming and pollution)

There are also rumours of Japan "bribing nations" for votes to allow more whaling. ( If I find a realiable source I shall put it up, it was all over the news here at one stage)

Here are some links for those of you who want to look a bit deeper in the issue:

Whaling in Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Japanese whaling | Greenpeace International

Japan Whaling Assoc. -Q&A-

PS: wasn't sure if I should have put this in the Japan section or the debate section...x_X

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Japanese Whaling

For one thing, there aren't even that many whales in the world to begin with, and I've always sort of liked whales ever since I watched Free Willy, so the idea of people going around harpooning these creatures for what ever reason just doesn't cut it with me. As for whales depleting fish stocks - geeeesh, it's all a part of nature and keeping things in balance. It would be something to talk about IF the consumption of fish by whales continued rising at an alarming rate, which I highly doubt is happening.
    Last edited by blue_rebel; Feb 15, 2007 at 07:20 AM.

??* Judge and Executioner ??* White Van Man Champion, Home Run Derby Champion, Mahjongg sport Champion, Jewel Champion, The Asteroids Champion koga23 may be famous one day koga23 may be famous one day koga23's Avatar
    Thanks

like blue_rebel said there have never bin many wales since the waling days so going around killing wales thats not right even if its for a good cause ,why the just use wales that are already dead that way there the wale died of natural causes and they dont have to kill one of world coolist and rarest creatures.
    ....Player Killer....
    ??* "There is nothing to fear but F.E.A.R. it self -(F.E.A.R) " ??*

Otaku Silvertoekee may be famous one day Silvertoekee may be famous one day Silvertoekee's Avatar
    Thanks

Hm i have never wanted to eat whale and I doubt I ever will. The way the kill them sure seems cruel and inhumane. I think its dumb that Japan is using science as a reason to hunt whales when everyone knows they just want to eat them. Come on now they should be honest and say hey its a part of our food source/culture and we want it...need to stop using excuses Although if they did that I bet they wouldn't be able to hunt for whale anymore although isn't some other countries hunting whale for food and not for science anyways?

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel View Post
    For one thing, there aren't even that many whales in the world to begin with, and I've always sort of liked whales ever since I watched Free Willy, so the idea of people going around harpooning these creatures for what ever reason just doesn't cut it with me. As for whales depleting fish stocks - geeeesh, it's all a part of nature and keeping things in balance. It would be something to talk about IF the consumption of fish by whales continued rising at an alarming rate, which I highly doubt is happening.
    If anyones to blame for depleting fish stocks, it's humans, certainly more of us than whales plus whales only take what they need, humans seem to like to over havest to maximise earnings

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertoekee View Post
    Hm i have never wanted to eat whale and I doubt I ever will. The way the kill them sure seems cruel and inhumane. I think its dumb that Japan is using science as a reason to hunt whales when everyone knows they just want to eat them. Come on now they should be honest and say hey its a part of our food source/culture and we want it...need to stop using excuses Although if they did that I bet they wouldn't be able to hunt for whale anymore although isn't some other countries hunting whale for food and not for science anyways?
    Watching the news last night, they were showing a bit on whale hunting, they showed a whale being pulled up onto the ship..the poor thing was still alive and kicking with a wound in it's back.. T_T

And yes other countries do hunt aswell Norway, Iceland, Greenland, some islands in the carribbean, Faroe Islands apparently Canada, Indonesia and Phillipines do aswell - to eat and sell whale products I presume ( got all that from here: Whales on line)

As you might know greenpeace has been doing protests around the japenese ships that hunts whales, 'accidently' running into them ( or 'they hit us'), scaring the whales away so they can't kill them etc etc.

well.. a few days ago a fire started on the whaling ship, green peace offered help - as any ship would out in the middle of no where - but they refused calling green peace 'terrorists' XD they called for either New Zealand or Australian help instead.

Jigoku Shoujo Dangerous Dave Part 1 : Mole Surfing Champion Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't really believe in what they're doing is right simply because whaling was banned because it was harming the whales..and green peace doesn't want them to hurt the poor defenseless whales...

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

TT_TT that does make me very sad, but i am also aware that Japan is not the only practitioner...

Africa...
    China...
    America...

all of these are countries have "scientifically researched" many animal species to death, and there are probably many more in many other places that we're not even aware of... especially America in the 1800s... no more buffalo...

TT_TT...

??* Judge and Executioner ??* White Van Man Champion, Home Run Derby Champion, Mahjongg sport Champion, Jewel Champion, The Asteroids Champion koga23 may be famous one day koga23 may be famous one day koga23's Avatar
    Thanks

it is a ashame what we will do in the name of scientific purposes, why we study some thing to make another thing better we destroy some thing else.
    ....Player Killer....
    ??* "There is nothing to fear but F.E.A.R. it self -(F.E.A.R) " ??*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast