+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Japanese Winter Work

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Japanese Winter Work

Japanese Winter Work

Filepack part 1: http://www.aragami.org/japanese/WinterWorkpart1.zip
    Filepack part 2: http://www.aragami.org/japanese/WinterWorkpart2.zip
    Filepack part 3: http://www.aragami.org/japanese/WinterWorkpart3.zip
    Master Thread: Free Weekly Japanese Lessons

Culture Note: "Winter Work"
    ----------------------------

Japanese students get two long vacations every year. One vacation is in the summer and another is over the Christmas/New Year holiday. But unlike their Western counterparts, Japanese kids don't get off from school completely! Before leaving school, they get workbooks full of homework for each subject to be completed over the break. These workbooks are the bane of fun-loving Japanese students' existence -- but they DO help make sure a month of vacation doesn't erase all the academic progress made throughout the year.

So, in keeping with Japanese tradition (eheheh), you guys are about to get your first "Winter Work" experience! Don't worry, it's not half as bad as the real thing!

This lesson will introduce no new characters, only new words and writing practice designed to help you remember hiragana once and for all!

Work - Part 1
    ----------------
    (p. 1-12)
    These sheets are to practice certain shapes and strokes common in hiragana and to improve your handwriting overall. Repeat them as many times as you think you, personally, need. If you think you've got it, no need to keep drilling!

Work - Part 2
    ------------------
    (p. 13-19)
    These sheets are to practice the shape AND order of characters. Please take care to remember how to draw and read each character as well as where it belongs in the gojuuon ordering. Repeat as many times as needed.

Work - Part 3
    -----------------
    (p. 20-27)
    These sheets are to practice writing words. Some words are new, some you've already learned. It's to your advantage to memorize the vocabulary as well. Repeat as many times as you need.

Word List:
    -----------
    へそ heso bellybutton (noun)
    ほんやさん honya-san bookstore (noun)
    なのはな nanohana rapeseed (noun/flower)
    ねむる nemuru to sleep (verb)
    せんすいかん sensuikan submarine (noun)
    ゆうやけ yuuyake sunset (noun)
    ひよこ hiyoko chick (noun)
    かみきりむし kamikiri mushi long-horned beetle (noun)
    てんとうむし tentou mushi ladybug/ladybird (noun)
    ちかてつ chikatetsu subway (noun)
    たたく tataku to hit (verb)

Technically, you should be able to complete all of these sheets by the end of your own winter vacation. Good luck and Happy Holidays!
    Last edited by tsurara; Dec 20, 2007 at 10:45 PM. Reason: filepacks added

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Japanese Winter Work

I bet you love doing this Tsurara. I remember getting vacation workbooks as well. Oh the horror!

Isn't ねる also used a lot for sleeping?

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    I bet you love doing this Tsurara. I remember getting vacation workbooks as well. Oh the horror!

Isn't ねる also used a lot for sleeping?
    Yeah, I just love scanning, editing and translating worksheets :P It makes me tingle all over. That's why the filepacks are always up on time!

And yes, "neru" is also "to sleep" (and the more common form), "nemuru" has a slightly softer and more pleasant tone.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Yeah, I just love scanning, editing and translating worksheets :P It makes me tingle all over. That's why the filepacks are always up on time!

And yes, "neru" is also "to sleep" (and the more common form), "nemuru" has a slightly softer and more pleasant tone.
    I checked on it and nemuru is almost solely used for deep sleep while neru can be a nap or light sleeping as well. Intricacies, intricacies...

Thanks

In my experience: "nemuru" tends to pop up only in songs and poetry. It's got a more poetic and peaceful feel (ie. "sleep" vs. "slumber"). The only instance I can think of hearing it in everyday use is as part of the compound "nemuri kusuri/gusuri" (sleeping pills) and the adjective "nemui" (sleepy)

+ Reply to Thread