Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese women sound like mice

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Japanese women sound like mice

Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan View Post
    Alot of Japanese women's voices are so squeaky for some reason. What is the freaking reasoning behind it. They even make their voices even squeakier when they do tv shows. Other Asian women seem to do the same thing. Like I was in the grocery store the other day and these Chinese women were talking in Cantonese or whatever. Their voice were just as squeaky as the Japanese women I'm talking about. Does anyone know why they do this?
    I can't say this for all asians--women in perticular--but I DO know that Japanese is kind of a nasal sounding language. Sometimes it sounds like a good chunk of Japan has a stuffy nose, LOL. ^_^

My old choir instructor is Japanese--her name is Chie (such a pretty name). Anyway, her voice is like that as well, and when I speak in Japanese my voice kinda gets nasally. It's because there are certain sounds in the English language that the Japanese language does not. For example, if you've never spoken a word of Japanese in your life, and I walked up to you speaking in very broken English--because we'll pretend I'm Japanese--you'll more than likely think I have a sinus problem or somethin'. ^_^

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

i don't think they sound nasal-y, just more high pitched...

Like Len said, it's a cultural thing. it's more feminine and cute, and that's why they speak like that. companies often tell their secretaries to speak in such voices to be more welcoming. the same goes with workers at stores and stuff. in Japan, cute sells and sells very well. and since people are affected by what's popular, women are more inclined to talk like that.

^_^ and you don't hear any complaints from the Japanese men, so it's safe to say that they like it too.

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel View Post
    It's just an accent thing. Japanese women sound like mice? Meh, girls from California sound like elementary school cheerleaders. Sounds like you have something against the Japanese language and the way it's spoken.
    Don't get me started blue rebel. They get on my nerves too. Most women from California don't talk like that. That's called a valley girl accent and anyone girl/woman with any kind of shame would never talk like that.
    I have nothing against the language. Just those squeaky sounding women.

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Its also a cultural thing. High pitched voices are considered more 'feminine' in many Asian cultures...
    Oh so that's why. Thanks Miyata.

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    I can't say this for all asians--women in perticular--but I DO know that Japanese is kind of a nasal sounding language. Sometimes it sounds like a good chunk of Japan has a stuffy nose, LOL. ^_^

My old choir instructor is Japanese--her name is Chie (such a pretty name). Anyway, her voice is like that as well, and when I speak in Japanese my voice kinda gets nasally. It's because there are certain sounds in the English language that the Japanese language does not. For example, if you've never spoken a word of Japanese in your life, and I walked up to you speaking in very broken English--because we'll pretend I'm Japanese--you'll more than likely think I have a sinus problem or somethin'. ^_^
    Yeah you're pretty much doing it because you don't know how to pronounce everything. When you are learning how to say something in a new language you play with your voice to figure out how to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Dhabi View Post
    i don't think they sound nasal-y, just more high pitched...

Like Len said, it's a cultural thing. it's more feminine and cute, and that's why they speak like that. companies often tell their secretaries to speak in such voices to be more welcoming. the same goes with workers at stores and stuff. in Japan, cute sells and sells very well. and since people are affected by what's popular, women are more inclined to talk like that.

^_^ and you don't hear any complaints from the Japanese men, so it's safe to say that they like it too.
    I don't know about Japanese men but if I ever hear a grown woman tell me "buy me drinkee" in a high pitch cutsey voice I'll scream.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

They don't sound like mice at all. Or at least not more than females from other countries.

Newbie Mitsuki86 is off to a good start Mitsuki86's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, I know that most Japanese women who do voice acting can change their voices. Talent, perhaps? xD They don't annoy me as much, but I do prefer hearing them speak in a normal tone. None of those cute voices of theirs. >.< I've heard too many already.

Hmm, I don't know about Japanese women sounding like mice. They're just like that - timid and soft. Most of them anyway. Like I said, it doesn't bother me all that much, but it really do sound better if they wouldn't speak like that.

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuki86 View Post
    Well, I know that most Japanese women who do voice acting can change their voices. Talent, perhaps? xD They don't annoy me as much, but I do prefer hearing them speak in a normal tone. None of those cute voices of theirs. >.< I've heard too many already.

Hmm, I don't know about Japanese women sounding like mice. They're just like that - timid and soft. Most of them anyway. Like I said, it doesn't bother me all that much, but it really do sound better if they wouldn't speak like that.
    Is it just me or did anyone else actually hear and consider the possibility that the tone of their voices is an actual preference?(this is comming form not reading previous posts)

Of course most Americans find the tone annoying or unappealing, but what about vice versa? I don't about any of you, but I can actually tell the difference between one actress from another and one male form another, unlike most dubbed which uses the same people for 8 different roles; never being able to match a voice wiht a character or using overly butch sounding women for parts.

Point is, that tone is a preference and they sound just about ordinary when comming outside; they can get quality job done too boot.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Seriously, though. What mice?

I mean. I watch dramas and stuff. I've been to Japan. I know heaps of Japanese people. Where are the women who "sound like mice"??? +__+

Newbie Sleeping0wl is off to a good start Sleeping0wl's Avatar
    Thanks

Many people had it right when they said that Japanese girls want to sound cuter. This i think goes hand in hand with the style called kogyaru (cute schoolgirl kinda thing) i think. Although how it transferred to other cultures and generations i do not know.

Yeah, that whole "mice" thing, i doubt he meant they actually sound like mice.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast