Closed Thread

Thread: Kanji over Romaji

Newbie Xxajanae97xX is off to a good start Xxajanae97xX's Avatar
    Thanks

Kanji over Romaji

a couple of days ago, i found this wonderful learning guide on understanding and communicating in the Japanese language. Unlike many i have found on the internet, this one seemed the most helpful because it actually teaches you how to write and pronounce words how the JAPANESE can understand, not Americans. It teaches you hiragana, katakana, and kanji characters and how to form and say them in not just the correct way, but the most common way for Japanese people to understand you.
    (for example: when a person would ask you your name in Japanese, you don't have to say "my name is [Susan]" completely, just "am [Susan]" and they'll understand what you mean. All the extra introductory stuff isn't necessary and easily points you out as a foreigner in Japan. This is similar to Latin: "my name is ____" can be easily covered in 2 words and people will completely understand what you're talking about.)

Anyway, what do you think about this process? can you only identify Japanese words in romaji or are you actually able to write in kanji? was it hard for you?
    akame4eva!

Newbie Okysho is off to a good start Okysho's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Kanji over Romaji

Me personally, I've been taking Japanese for a few months now. Kanji is hard, but it's like killing 'counts on fingers' 6 birds with one stone. China had dominance over most of asia, so even though the pronunciation is different in the other countries (Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Mongolia) all the Kanji (chinese characters) all mean the same thing in each of the countries, if you can't speak the language, you can at least read it and thus you'll still be able to find your way around. Korea, not so much since they abolished Kanji at one point, but after realizing how difficult it was to do international business, they brought it back, it's a slow process.

Now I personally have the Hiragana chart memorized and I probably know 12 or 13 basic Kanji (10 of them being the numbers... T-T) but I'm actually having some really hard time learning Katakana myself... My Japanese teacher agrees that it's harder to memorize... but still it's a pain...

I try to avoid Romaji as much as possible... Kanji for the win!

Newbie diamond is off to a good start
    Thanks

kanji is ok for me but i can't seems to get to memorise katakana yet. maybe cause i haven't really get down to it. but the thing with kanji for me is that i tend to mix it up with chinese characters. >.<

as for how japanese speak they usually cut everything short i think you will only learn it if you actually stay in japan. if not most sensei just teach the full sentences. but as long as you know the grammer i think you can basically grasp what they are saying.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

To quote the Forum Rules...
    Inactive threads, which have not been posted in for 1 month or more, should not be revived. They are considered dead.
    Please read the Forum Rules located here... Anime Online - FAQ: GENERAL RULES:

Closing...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Closed Thread