+ Reply to Thread

Thread: karate! - differences in style

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

karate! - differences in style

So, my little cousins are into this as well as my little brother. I don't mean into it like, "Oh man, that's so cool!". I'm saying they actually take lessons. My little cousin is already a green belt, and he's quite the little karateman I've always been into karate (martial arts, whichever you prefer), and hope my mother puts me in sometime soon. Anyway, the thread.

I know that there are different types of Karate (or martial arts?).
    -Tae Kwon Do
    -Shorei-Ryu Karate
    -Jiu-Jitsu..

And I know there's a whole lot more. But would any of you know the differences in style between them? Which is the most advanced type of Karate? I've heard it mentioned before, but I can't get my tongue on it now.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Dragon Ball; Nov 29, 2007 at 05:55 PM.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: k a r a t e!

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wolf View Post
    So, my little cousins are into this as well as my little brother. I don't mean into it like, "Oh man, that's so cool!". I'm saying they actually take lessons. My little cousin is already a green belt, and he's quite the little karateman I've always been into karate (martial arts, whichever you prefer), and hope my mother puts me in sometime soon. Anyway, the thread.

I know that there are different types of Karate (or martial arts?).
    -Tae Kwon Do
    -Shorei-Ryu Karate
    -Jiu-Jitsu..

And I know there's a whole lot more. But would any of you know the differences in style between them? Which is the most advanced type of Karate? I've heard it mentioned before, but I can't get my tongue on it now.

Thanks!
    Karate is basically an Okinawan martial art. Ju-Jitsu/Jujutsu is a much older Japanese martial art and Tae kwon do is a Korean martial art.
    Karate =/= martial arts

There are many different schools of karate. The Federation of All Japan Karatedo Organization acknowledges 4 traditional styles:
    Wado ryu
    Shito ryu
    Shotokan ryu
    Goju Ryu

Another popular karate style is Kyokushin kaikan, started by Masutatsu Oyama.

Chtonian Slayer Astaroth may be famous one day Astaroth's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: k a r a t e!

Today there are four main styles of karate-do in Japan: Goju-ryu, Shito-ryu, Shotokan, and Wado-ryu:

Goju-ryu developed out of Naha-te, its popularity primarily due to the success of Kanryo Higaonna (1853-1915). Higaonna opened a dojo in Naha using eight forms brought from China. His best student, Chojun Miyagi (1888-1953) later founded Goju-ryu, 'hard soft way' in 1930. In Goju-ryu much emphasis is placed on combining soft circular blocking techniques with quick strong counter attacks delivered in rapid succession.

Shito-ryu was founded by Kenwa Mabuni (1889-1952) in 1928 and was influenced directly by both Naha-te and Shuri-te. The name Shito is constructively derived from the combination of the Japanese characters of Mabuni's teachers' names - Ankoh Itosu and Kanryo Higaonna. Shito-ryu schools use a large number of kata, about fifty, and is characterized by an emphasis on power in the execution of techniques.

Shotokan was founded by Gichin Funakoshi (1868-1957) in Tokyo in 1938. Funakoshi is considered to be the founder of modern karate. Born in Okinawa, he began to study karate with Yasutsune Azato, one of Okinawa's greatest experts in the art. In 1921 Funakoshi first introduced Karate to Tokyo. In 1936, at nearly 70 years of age, he opened his own training hall. The dojo was called Shotokan after the pen name used by Funakoshi to sign poems written in his youth. Shotokan Karate is characterized by powerful linear techniques and deep strong stances.

Wado-ryu, 'way of harmony', founded in 1939 is a system of karate developed from jujitsu and karate by Hienori Otsuka as taught by one of his instructors, Gichin Funakoshi. This style of karate combines basic movements of jujitsu with techniques of evasion, putting a strong emphasis on softness and the way of harmony or spiritual discipline.
    DO NOT MAKE ME UNLEASH MY INNER DEMON

+ Reply to Thread