+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Learning English in Japan? Japanese in America?

:Yuki fan: Spider Jump Champion Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Learning English in Japan? Japanese in American?

Well I was born here in the US but mother was Japanese so I'm half. I learned to speak Japanese first though since we moved to Japan as soon as I was born. Til I got up in school my mother basically taught me the basic Japanese and I picked up some more while I was put in pre-school. The rest I learned by reading books and watching TV and doing dialouges in my head. I was put into a US elemetry when I got older and I had to take ESL (English as Second Language) classes on top of my regular classes. I took that til 2nd grade til I was able to manage going through the day on my own...funny since everyone thinks that Japanese is my second laguage now.XP

Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel View Post
    As for Japanese, even though I'm quarter Japanese I never really learned how to say anything other than the basic "konnichiwa", "ohayou", "arigato" and other simple words like those until I started watching Sailor Moon. Then I got hooked. Bought a book or two, watched anime and J-dramas, read manga, and went to Japan every chance I got.
    Sailor Moon got you hooked!? XD Well its good that you went through all that effort to learn

Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel View Post
    Oh. And because I can't promote this any other way, GO CHECK OUT THE JAPANESE LANGUAGE THREAD. After Hassun scared everybody away I finally made a new post, but it looks like everyone's still too chicken to post.
    Hassun is scary...ok!? xD LOL, well I just stopped cuz I was the one teaching those random Japanese and thats what Hassun wanted to stop. X(
    ->:Be descriptive in your posts or its like you didnt post at all:<-

|The "RULES" of AO|My AO Gallery|YouTube|AnimeSuki|

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

I learned japanese online at first. Then I found out that they were giving free lessons on iTunes in the podcasts area. So now I just download those lessons, and learn japanese!

go me!

Banned ABC Crazy Champion flaminghate may be famous one day flaminghate may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Learning English in Japan? Japanese in America?

oshnima I need to learn more -_-
    hey you think any of you can teach me?
    just PM me ok?

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shinku no kage View Post
    Sailor Moon got you hooked!? XD Well its good that you went through all that effort to learn.
    Heh, well. It was the mid-90s. Sailor Moon season, y'know. Everyone was watching. Well, every little girl.

Hassun is scary...ok!? xD LOL, well I just stopped cuz I was the one teaching those random Japanese and thats what Hassun wanted to stop. X(
    Well, now that I've finally gotten around to explaining a whole lot of stuff someone ought to go and see if I made any mistakes. And it'll be a shame if the thread just sinks.

:Yuki fan: Spider Jump Champion Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, yeah, thats true....my sister was really hooked back then too. I guess that'd be what kept her interested in Japanese at the time too.

I took a quick skim through it the other day and I dont think that I've seen anything wrong. I'll check it later again I guess.

Ok, back to topic.

On top of all the stuff that I've already mentioned I still study Japanese by buying some of the college texts and looking through English -> Japanese and Japanese -> English dictionaries.

....just because I'm half doesnt mean that I'm 100% fluent y'know. There are soo~ many complicated words that I still dont understand.
    ->:Be descriptive in your posts or its like you didnt post at all:<-

|The "RULES" of AO|My AO Gallery|YouTube|AnimeSuki|

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

^_^ the text books are very helpful! Dictionaries are too... especially the travel kind! you learn alot about the culture from them too! I also got this interesting book on basic kanji that shows how some characters look like the thing or emotion they represent.

... um... i'd give an example... but i don't remember them... eheh...

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

@ Shinku: Well you'd better hurry cuz it's been inactive for 13 days now. Soon nobody will be able to post.

@ Abu Dhabi: Japanese travel phrase guides are all right, but they don't normally tell you exactly what this and that means, and then what happens if you ask a question and the answer you get isn't in the book? ^^;; Yes, there are a lot of books that tell you how some kanji came from images, and so on and so forth. Quite interesting, but I can never remember the progression... I just memorize the characters.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

^_^ i know... but the conversations are so funny! Like asking where to get sumo tickets, and the response is that they're so expensive and to just watch them on TV!

the beginning kanji is simple enough to recognize... but when it gets to the one that hase like 21 strokes... yeah, it gets a little confusing! >.> not sure if they have a picture book for those yet...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast