Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Otohime

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Otohime

Japan is great. Don't get me wrong, I love it here. But every so often I notice something so mindbendingly stupid that it warrants a little rant.

Here's a good example: Japanese women will not pee if they think anyone can hear them.

That's how nuerotic this society is. The very THOUGHT that a woman needs to urinate and that someone else might find out that she's doing it seems to send Japanese women into a panic.

So, women will flush the toilet before they use it to cover the sound. This is, of course, idiotic and a huge waste of water: so some smart fellows came up with this device called "otohime" (literally: "sound princess")

Otohime is a little box attatched to the wall of most public restrooms that has a big button to press. Pushing the button makes an obviously fake flushing sound designed to mask the fact that you are *gasp* peeing.

Of course... it's fairly obvious that on hearing the otohime go off, the lady next to you is using the toilet.

I don't hate the boxes... I actually like that they save water. But I am annoyed that, by their mere existance EVERYWHERE, they're implying that the sound of urine hitting the water in a toilet bowl is something mortally offensive that must be hidden at all costs.

Alright... I'm done.

Damn you otohime.
    Damn you forever.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Otohime

O_o not to be rude, but isn't urinating in like half of all hentai? anyways...

i can understand wanting to cover up certain bathroom sounds, but just for urinating? are they going to try and hide that they sh!t too?

=_= but, i don't really understand a lot of culture of Japan...

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Here's a good example: Japanese women will not pee if they think anyone can hear them.
    I don't think it's exclusively in Japan ( though prehaps more common). All through Highschool I would walk into the toilets and the tap would be running. For the longest time I wondered why, thought that prehaps that some one left it on and so I just turned it off. I realised that it was because the girls that were in the toilet didn't want to let anyone hear them pee >_>. ( even though last I check, that's what toilets were for..)

I haven't seen this done anywhere else outside of highschool, but i'm sure there are women and girls who would do it else where. Prehaps the use of Otohime might become a common thing in other socities aswell. Waste of time and money imo, but I guess it does save water. But honestly wtf cares? It's not as if someone is going to walk out and say "omg did you hear how loud that women was peeing?" XD

Otaku Arukih may be famous one day Arukih may be famous one day Arukih's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    GOOD LORD!!! I all most fall off the chair when I read that! Seriously they have to find out a priority for them GEEZ Im in shock!!

Otaku souichiro_arima may be famous one day souichiro_arima may be famous one day souichiro_arima's Avatar
    Thanks

If I would have to think, its pretty obvious that women in Japan really take good care of their reputation as women.. Come to think of it, a woman whose really in need of toilet to pee need to wait until anyone in the rest room goes out.. Thank heavens they invented that device called Otohime, if it wasnt for that thing all women in Japan would have an kidney sickness....

"Bring salvation to akuma's soul."

Banned 3cheersforrevenge is off to a good start 3cheersforrevenge's Avatar
    Thanks

wow, who the hell would want to hide the sound of themselves peeing? that's like trying to hide the fact that you're a human being. hey! that rhymed....

Otaku Evol may be famous one day Evol may be famous one day Evol's Avatar
    Thanks

Interesting and a little pathetic, what do japanese women do when they need to go poo? spam the otohime till they're done their business? or is only pee pee taboo. <--rhetorical, I just wanted to use poo and pee in the same sentence...

I'd be interested to see if they have these devices in korean bathrooms, my mom has never had this issue. She'll even continue conversations on the crapper.

I wonder if its just Japanese society that has this embarrassment of the tinkle sound or if it applies to other nations.
    Last edited by Evol; Nov 26, 2007 at 08:43 AM.

Newbie bpoponmyheart is off to a good start bpoponmyheart's Avatar
    Thanks

i think that's a bit excessive to have a machine for that, but I can understand why some girls are rather modest when it comes to making noise. It's just a self-conscious thing.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast