Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Please do not say random Japanese Words in Public

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Please do not say random Japanese Words in Public

Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel View Post
    I don't know, it would just come across as very annoying to me... +_+ For me, it's either all or nothing. You either speak wholly in Japanese, or wholly in some other language. Having bits and pieces here and there is just weird...
    Maybe, but that's how it works in the US. Here we use words like:
    (French) deja Vu, beautiful, lingerie, prairie, batteau, portage, rapids, picayune, levee, chute, butte, crevasse,
    (Spanish) lariat, lasso, ranch, loco (weed), mustang, sombrero, canyon, desperado, poncho, chapparal, corral, broncho, plaza, peon, cayuse, burro, mesa, tornado, presidio, sierra, adobe, bonanza, eldorado, placer, vigilante, cinch,
    (Mexican) coyote, tamale, frijole, tomato, vamose, sabe, gazebo,
    (German) sauerkraut, noodle, pretzel, pumpernickel, pinocle, wiener, frankfurter, schnitzel, liverwurst, delicatessen, hamburger, kindergarten, loafer, bum, dumb, bower, ouch, shyster,
    (Gaelic/Irish) smithereens, poteen, kiddo, skiddoo, ballyhoo, shebang,
    (Chinese) yen, flop, kow-tow, chop-suey, ginseng, joss,
    ...and no one thinks twice about where they are from.

There is more but really that should be enough to get the idea. It's only a matter of time until the more popular Japanese words join them.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Wo chao xi huan ni Mahjong Champion, Shape Game Champion, Solitaire Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion, Looney Tunes Mahjong Champion, Elite Mahjong Champion, MahJong Champion, Mahjong XY Champion mahiru may be famous one day mahiru may be famous one day mahiru's Avatar
    Thanks

I think I might just drop dead if I go to a toy store and hear some girl going, "Look at that! It's sooooooooo kawaii!!!" +__+
    Haha, my friends and I have done that ^^; But they do that in many languages, too. Because most of them are Asian, and most of them take another Asian langauge in addition to the one they know. So I guess I picked it up. Sometimes I just naturally say "kawaii ne!" or "hen ke'ai!" and no one's ever given me a weird look for it... well, at least not Japanese xD Chinese is another story >_>
    Wo shi zhen zhen zhen xi huan ni...

Thank you Equinn!! ^-^

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel
    of course, it's part of the culture of the country you're from - like in Malaysia, where you can actually use 3 languages or more in one sentence, and people will actually understand you.
    ^o^ hee hee! it's like that in Philippines too! Taglog, Spanish and English all in one!

i can see that everyone here has a point... however... there's languages that blend into the culture and then there's wapanese in the corner of Border's who won't shut up... so, that's the difference i see. plus, i'm TRYING to learn Japanese in school myself, and i don't want to try to speak the language in public until i atleast understand the culture behind it...

=_= and that's very hard for someone as loud as me!

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post

Maybe, but that's how it works in the US. Here we use words like:
    (French) deja Vu, beautiful, lingerie, prairie, portage, rapids, levee, chute, butte, crevasse,
    (Spanish) lasso, ranch, mustang, sombrero, canyon, desperado, poncho, corral, plaza, peon, sierra, adobe, bonanza, vigilante, cinch,
    (Mexican) coyote, tamale, frijole, tomato, vamoose, sabe, gazebo,
    (German) sauerkraut, noodle, pretzel, pumpernickel, pinocle, wiener, frankfurter, schnitzel, liverwurst, delicatessen, hamburger, kindergarten, loafer, bum, dumb, bower,
    (Gaelic/Irish) smithereens, poteen, kiddo, skiddoo, ballyhoo, shebang,
    (Chinese) yen, flop, kow-tow, chop-suey, ginseng
    ...and no one thinks twice about where they are from.
    LOL. I see lots of... food.
    Mmmmm. I do see what you mean. It's just that it sounds... weird. I don't know. I suppose everything does sound weird at first, eh.

Quote Originally Posted by mahiru View Post
    Haha, my friends and I have done that ^^; But they do that in many languages, too. Because most of them are Asian, and most of them take another Asian langauge in addition to the one they know. So I guess I picked it up. Sometimes I just naturally say "kawaii ne!" or "hen ke'ai!" and no one's ever given me a weird look for it... well, at least not Japanese xD Chinese is another story >_>
    I think that as long as you say the words correctly it sounds okay...? Or if you do it all the time your friends will eventually get used to it. Like, I usually go "he?" or "uun", which are Japanese, but the people around me don't look at me funny. I don't think anyone else I know uses those, um, sounds. I s'pose it's prolly just a matter of time before everyone else starts saying "he" instead of "what" and "uun" instead of "no".

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Dhabi View Post
    ^o^ hee hee! it's like that in Philippines too! Taglog, Spanish and English all in one!
    LOL, I never knew pinoys used Spanish regularly. I mean, I know that pinoys have some Spanish roots from way back, but I didn't know they actually spoke Spanish.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL. I see lots of... food.
    And now you know German immigrants main contributions to US culture.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Why get annoyed at ANY language being spoken randomly?
    If you're learning to speak another languege, you're not just going to open your mouth and speak fuently...
    Besides I have a young child thats learning to speak. Period. Hes can only say certain words, which means he speaks randomly. Im sure our parentS would remind us all that at one point we spoke our own first langueges VERY SPORADICALLY.
    ... Not Ever Again...

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows
    Why get annoyed at ANY language being spoken randomly?
    If you're learning to speak another languege, you're not just going to open your mouth and speak fuently...
    Besides I have a young child thats learning to speak. Period. Hes can only say certain words, which means he speaks randomly. Im sure our parentS would remind us all that at one point we spoke our own first langueges VERY SPORADICALLY.
    that's the thing, it's not a first language. It's not even to learn a second language, it's about people using pieces of a language to show a vauge knowledge of a culture they wish they were apart that they learned about from a cartoon.

not to say that everyone learning anything ever is like that, but to address what this topic is saying.

Otaku Gods_Dragon may be famous one day Gods_Dragon may be famous one day
    Thanks

Good point Peach_follows, I've been learning Japanese for about a week now (off and on) so you can imagine what I sound like. I understand we shouldn't "spout off" random words in public, there is a time and a place to do so. We just need to use "common sense" (for those of us who have it (lol)) We really should use our better judgment. I do have one thing to say, please...please... Just because you "think" a person is Japanese PLEASE don't "practice" on them. I'm only saying this because I've seen it happen. It's very rude and the person may be of a different Asian descent; for ex: vietnamese/chinese... Or they may not know any Japanese and think you're trying to make fun of them. So please mind your manners and practice on those who are "aware" that you're learning. As we said earlier, "everyone doesn't want to hear you randomly spout off" so be considerate. I know it's difficult sometimes (because I want to be fluent like, yesterday) but it's going to take time and we need to be considerate with the patience of others.

Thanks for the avatar & sig Rave_Grip you rock!
    There is but one judge...
    ~Stay blessed

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast