Closed Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Please do not say random Japanese Words in Public

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Please do not say random Japanese Words in Public

That's... true. Freedom of speech, you know. *scratches head* Still, it would be really immature of someone to keep on rattling despite knowing that it annoys the hell outta someone else. I can't, like, get up and yell at them, "Hoy! The law says you have no right to get on my nerves!" without risking looking like an even bigger idiot than they are...

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Smile Re: Please do not say random Japanese Words in Public

C'mon now. Japanese people use English words in thier language all the time! Language borrows language. That's just how it works. It's the same principle in math as well. Numbers borrow numbers.

I speak Japanese at home and in public all the time. When I play cribbage, I count my hand in Japanese, when I'm frustrated, I say thinks like, "Chikusho!" or "Shimatta!" and the famous "Kuso!" When I'm tired, I say, "Tsukaretta" and when I'm bored, I say, "Nanika shi-mashou!" Mind you, I'm the only one I know in my close knit group of family and friends that speaks the language--they're all confused and I don't care. I don't speak random Japanese, I speak Japanese that fits with what's going on around me.

It's good to practice another language, but if all you know is "Oh, that's sooo kawaii!!" You definetly need to pick up a Japanese language book.

There is a fair share of people who don't know a lick of Japanese. They're wanna-bes, yes. But at least they try to sound like they know more than what comes out thier mouths. LOL. Hand them a Japanese book and tell them to pronounce something (I've done this before, it's great). The way they say it compared to the way it's SUPPOSED to be said is soooooooooo hilarious! Give it a try one day, you'll love it!

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

We're not talking about borrowed words that already have a place in the Japanese language, we're talking about just throwing out random words. It's one thing to use them in a sentence, in the proper context; it's another thing entirely to just... I don't know, say something like, "Burger discuss family what a great happening I know pollution," all in one breath. >__>

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

You all kids are really weird. There is nothing wrong with some wannabe kid/guy/chick/person/otaku saying random Japanese words in public. I just don't get it, how can it annoy you? Unless, you speak the lenguage fluently, then i would agree with you. If in fact it does annoy you, then just go away and everything will be kool.

Thanks

That's exactly it. I speak the language more or less fluently. Just to give you a better idea, this is what runs through my mind when I hear the random spoutings... "Oh, shut up and stop trying to make people think you're Japanese, because it's not working and you just sound ridiculous." >__> Once I walked up to one [of the annoying "wannabes"] in a bookstore and purposely tried to throw him off guard by initiating a conversation in Japanese about a book I'd picked up. He panicked, sort of smiled, nodded a lot, then mumbled something like, "Aa... ikanakucha.." (Ah, I have to go..) and walked away quickly.

It was such a hoot. Okay, I'm going to have to change what I said back there. I find them more amusing then annoying, really. Because they all sound so funny.

Otaku Mitsu-O! is off to a good start Mitsu-O!'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Aww... I can say Dattebayo in public anymore?! Just kidding. What you are seeing is cultures blending and merging. One day it will all be one culture, one language, and one race. We probably won't around to see it but it will be a beauty.

Did you your guys know that the phrase "O.K.!" is known and the most popular english phrase all oner the globe? Cool huh?
    Last edited by kedar; Mar 08, 2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Double posting!
    More than bored; Sad. More than sad; Unhappy. More than unhappy; Ill. More than ill; Alone in the world. More than alone in the world; In Exile. More than in exile; Dead. More than dead;forgotten.......

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel View Post
    We're not talking about borrowed words that already have a place in the Japanese language, we're talking about just throwing out random words. It's one thing to use them in a sentence, in the proper context; it's another thing entirely to just... I don't know, say something like, "Burger discuss family what a great happening I know pollution," all in one breath. >__>
    No, that is what you are talking about.

The rest of us are talking about using words in the proper context but a different language. A girl saying "that is so kawaii" may be annoying but it is used correctly. Mind you I believe that is annoying no matter what language that particular sentence is said in. There is just something about a girl squealing for joy and going "how cuuute" that just gets my hackles up.

Point is if it's used correctly who cares. That's how languages work. We borrow from each other all the time.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

:Yuki fan: Spider Jump Champion Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage's Avatar
    Thanks

Using ANY language randomly in a context that its not fit for is annoying. Its not just Japanese.

I could care less if its a little "inside joke" among friends but I hate it when someone is trying to show off. A few kids in my high school used to act like that they can speak multiple languages but they DONT!! They barely speak proper English, I mean c'mon!!!

Plus if you're gonna say something ATLEAST know what it means!! Some of the things I've heard being said...I let them say it than later tell everyone what it means and now they look like a fool. XD
    ->:Be descriptive in your posts or its like you didnt post at all:<-

|The "RULES" of AO|My AO Gallery|YouTube|AnimeSuki|

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast